Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

OMRS Convention 2016 7 years 6 months ago #48753

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
When did you start collecting, I suspect you have actually told me the answer to that before, I certainly think anyone from SA would be impressed by the quantities, but, the QSA is, in itself, a really common medal, I bought my first as a small boy, so I do not get all that excited now at the site of a great many, all in the same place, at the same point in time, but, this is and will remain the centre of the medal world as far as collectors are concerned.
There is just so much choice that you simply don't know what is going to turn up tomorrow.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

OMRS Convention 2016 7 years 6 months ago #48754

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Frank, I acquired my first QSA in the early 1950's - a family heirloom - but it was not until 1999 that I acquired a second, and more medals besides. Initially I satisfied my collecting mania by acquiring items that cost nothing - fossils, Stone Age artefacts, badges, stamps and other odds and ends. Later, in my diamond hunting days, I collected rocks and minerals as well - no diamonds for myself though. When I became employed by a museum, ethics frowned on private collecting, so I gave away my collections. However, I had more than enough 'professional' collecting to cope with. By 1999, museum ethics had become a distant memory, and I was also slightly more affluent, so medals at last became my hobby. Unfortunately, soon thereafter retiring on pension again reduced my affluence. As you will have gathered by now, I have not properly applied myself to medals, hence my still-long wish list.

Regards
Brett

OMRS Convention 2016 7 years 6 months ago #48755

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
[quote="Brett Hendey" Unfortunately, soon thereafter retiring on pension again reduced my affluence. As you will have gathered by now, I have not properly applied myself to medals, hence my still-long wish list.
[/quote]

So the moral of the story is to buy as much as you possibly can whilst you can still carry the bags..........?
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

OMRS Convention 2016 7 years 6 months ago #48759

• Brett Hendey
David, it would also have helped if I had been more focused with my collecting from the very beginning.
Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant

OMRS Convention 2016 7 years 6 months ago #48760

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
You "gave" away your collections, well don't consider giving away your current one! :ohmy:

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank, I acquired my first QSA in the early 1950's - a family heirloom - but it was not until 1999 that I acquired a second, and more medals besides. Initially I satisfied my collecting mania by acquiring items that cost nothing - fossils, Stone Age artefacts, badges, stamps and other odds and ends. Later, in my diamond hunting days, I collected rocks and minerals as well - no diamonds for myself though. When I became employed by a museum, ethics frowned on private collecting, so I gave away my collections. However, I had more than enough 'professional' collecting to cope with. By 1999, museum ethics had become a distant memory, and I was also slightly more affluent, so medals at last became my hobby. Unfortunately, soon thereafter retiring on pension again reduced my affluence. As you will have gathered by now, I have not properly applied myself to medals, hence my still-long wish list.

Regards
Brett

OMRS Convention 2016 7 years 6 months ago #48761

• Brett Hendey
Never!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds