Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Book "Slaan en Vlug" by Casp. Bosman printed in 1946 7 years 3 months ago #50365

• FSburgher
  • FSburgher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi to all Forum members
In November I found the book mentioned above in a 2nd hand shop in Burgersdorp, Cape Province ;
I have been looking for this book for many years, it is not translated into English yet, which is a pity as it lets one into the mind of those Burghers committed to keeping the British Empire at bay and subjugating the Boer Republics to British control.

The book is a record of 'Cape Rebel' Jacobus P. Bosman's Boer war commando memories, his capture and miraculous avoiding of the death sentence despite being captured by the British. Bosman is my wife's paternal great, great uncle.

Chapter 30 tells the tale of a British Tommy named John Frost attached to the Welsh Fusiliers or Welsh Regt in the Free State.
After a short skirmish with British soldiers, John Frost is taken prisoner by Bosman and a couple of fellow burghers.
As was the Boer custom, burghers took over weapons and ammo and removed the uniforms and then took the prisoner a distance from where captured and then let them loose to make their way back to their own lines.

What struck me was the respect and courtesy shown by Bosman toward John Frost; Bosman compliments Frost as the 'most noble and cordial' soldier ever to leave the shores of UK. During the few days the two men were together they built a bond of understanding which touched Bosman deeply.
Frost was released from the care of Bosman and he made his way back to his own forces on the veld.

I wonder whether it is possible to find out more about what happened to John Frost and whether he returned to Wales after the conflict in South Africa was over?
Pity the book isn't translated into English!! For SA history buffs a read well worth the time it may take to find a copy of the book "Slaan en Vlug".

I look forward to anyone who can cast light on the soldier John Frost.
Salutations to all reading this, wishing all a blessed Christmas and prosperous 2017 wherever you are.
Evyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.664 seconds