Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dundee TG and Local Defence Force pics - Creswicke V7. 7 years 1 day ago #53038

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1536
Interested members
As a departure from CT TG sub-unit pics, IL decided to leap towards the end of Vol.7 and illustrate the stalwarts of the Dundee TG and LDF. Especially liked is the notation under the pic of the Dundee LDF about them receiving the War Medal and Clasp. A rare distinction, indeed.

IL trusts that readers will not take it amiss if he includes a pic of the QSA with clasp "Talana" and named to "H.T.Brown, Dundee Rifle Assoct'n" (in his current custody and obtained via our genial host some years ago). Whilst unable to offer a large bio of the gentleman in question, David's book "Talana - account and Medal Roll" tells us that Member H.T.Brown received a capitation grant of one pound for being an efficient member. David's book also includes extra info on the DTG and DRA.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dundee TG and Local Defence Force pics - Creswicke V7. 7 years 1 day ago #53042

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Thanks for these pictures IL.

I eagerly await each new installment and am hopeful that Ladysmith and other Natal and Cape TG's make an appearance soon.

Regards

Rory

Dundee TG and Local Defence Force pics - Creswicke V7. 7 years 1 day ago #53043

• LinneyI
Rory
I planned to grind through as they came; posting a couple each time. However, I saw the DTG and DRA pics in Vol.7 and could not be constrained! There is a group pic for the Ladysmith TG as I recall and a few others. I will make a special effort. Just now looking at Vol.7, I see that the Cape Peninsula Regt officers get a guernsey; so does the Port Elizabeth TG, and Thornton's Horse (never heard of that one - might be related to the next), Uitenhage TG, Montagu TG, .......... has IL created a monster?????
We trudge on.
Regards
IL.

Dundee TG and Local Defence Force pics - Creswicke V7. 7 years 1 day ago #53044

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
A monster worthy of Dr Frankenstein at his most industrious!!

With my "new" focus I find myself on the look-out for Eastern Cape (especially) T.G's and D.MT.'s.

Names such as Uitenhage, Cradock, Humansdorp, Cathcart, Port Elizabeth etc. all trip off the tongue without falter.

I had seven or eight QSA's to the L.T.G. but, the folly of middle age, I off-loaded some of them in my haste to acquire other trinkets. I still have quite a few and count that to Charles James Jones, Deputy Mayor and proprietor of both the Royal and Crown Hotels in Ladysmith at the time of the siege as my favourite.

Regards

Rory

Dundee TG and Local Defence Force pics - Creswicke V7. 7 years 1 day ago #53045

• LinneyI
Rory
OK, I will next post the group pic of the Ladysmith TG and a couple of others as well. As an aside, I always was on the lookout for a Ladysmith TG QSA - but never quite managed one. They appear to be quite scarce. I suppose the closest I came was a DofL QSA to the Natal Guides (via Natalie). I find the term "Town Guard" to be a rather emotive one.
The series of pics in Creswicke V7 photograph and contrast best in natural light. Oddly enough, in artificial light, they have a tendency to reflect.
Dr.Frankenstein sends regards.

Dundee TG and Local Defence Force pics - Creswicke V7. 7 years 1 day ago #53049

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
IL
These have been excellent additions to this forum, and I look forward to many more.
Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.591 seconds