Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Port Elizabeth TG; more lettered Coys. (Creswicke V7) 6 years 11 months ago #53224

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
If the forum members are not tired of seeing these - here are the other lettered Companies of the PE TG Please note that only these lettered Companies (apart from A Coy., illustrated earlier) are shown in V7 of Creswicke. Viewers might note the widespread display of .45" MH rifles. Bid or Buy currently lists a couple of no-bar QSAs to the PE TG.
Regards to all interested
IL

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Port Elizabeth TG; more lettered Coys. (Creswicke V7) 6 years 11 months ago #53226

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Thank you for these IL - splendid they are indeed!

A question..... all the medal rolls I have consulted for the PETG show e.g. 1st Battalion or Cyclist Company etc. None of them show the named Companies as in your photos.

Would I be wrong in assuming that if e.g. a Captain Rice was the main man on a medal roll AND he was linked to a named Company in the photo that photo would then represent men from that Company even if they medal roll only has them as part of the 1st Battalion?

Opinions are eagerly sought.

Regards

Rory

Port Elizabeth TG; more lettered Coys. (Creswicke V7) 6 years 11 months ago #53228

• Rory
As an addendum to the above.

I took a random sample of officers names from the photos and searched for them in Ancestry's medal rolls for both the PETG nad any other units they may have been in. Oddly none of those in my sample were either attached to the PETG or any other local unit during the Boer War!

I tried permutations of spelling etc. and also came up empty handed. The question therefore is - why did these officers not receive a medal?

The ones I looked at were:

RP Rice
RHH Stockdale
Hetherwick and
Ablett

Regards

Rory

Port Elizabeth TG; more lettered Coys. (Creswicke V7) 6 years 11 months ago #53230

• LinneyI
  • Away
Rory
Concerning your first question; I think that if a certain Capt.Rice was shown on a PE TG medal roll. it would be reasonable to assume that the chaps in the same pic as Capt. Rice would be from his Company at some time.
Regarding your second question- well, I don't know. Did TGs have to perform duties over a period of time to qualify for a no-clasp medal? I would say yes. That attendance would have to be certified by his C.O. (probably on advice from the Company commander). What the qualification period was, I simply don't know. Others probably have a better idea.
Certainly, none of the names you have listed (Rice, Stockdale, etc) appear in the list of Officers for the PE TG in my copy of Services of Boer War officers.
A little mystery for you to ponder.
Regards
IL.

Port Elizabeth TG; more lettered Coys. (Creswicke V7) 5 years 1 day ago #62984

• Rory
Hi IL

These appeared in Creswicke Volume VII but can you say which Chapter?

Port Elizabeth TG; more lettered Coys. (Creswicke V7) 5 years 23 hours ago #62988

• LinneyI
  • Away
Rory
Chapter XII, in fact. I think there are a number of other unit group pics in Creswicke which could be posted. Later today I will have a better look.
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.664 seconds