Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cost of a machine gun? 6 years 6 months ago #55579

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It simply "vanished" it sounds more like a matter of misappropriation!:(

LinneyI wrote: BP
Yes, the scale model has the correct tripod. Those scale models are beautiful pieces of work. Over the years I have seen a couple of scale model Maxim and Vickers MMGs and would love to get my hands on one; Maxim or Vickers. A Rifle Association of which IL was once a member had an example in a glass case (the model was about nine or ten inches long). However, it vanished during a change of venue.
Regards
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cost of a machine gun? 6 years 6 months ago #55580

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

BereniceUK wrote:

GIFT OF A MACHINE GUN TO CHESHIRE YEOMANRY.
A machine gun and equipment, of the total cost of £500, has been presented to the 3rd Company of the Cheshire Yeomanry, now in the course of formation, by Miss Clarke, of North Cliff, Filey.
The Chester Courant, 14th February 1900

£500 in 1900 is equivalent to just under £58,000 in today's money. How would this machine gun have been bought with donated money? From the War Office or from an arms manufacturer?

Love the image of "Miss Clarke", a little old lady or a vivacious young gal?, presiding over a ceremony presenting a machine gun to the local volunteers; "may you kill lots of the enemy" and the vicar blesses the gun. Wouldn't happen today.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Cost of a machine gun? 6 years 6 months ago #55581

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Linneyl, even though it is behind the men, is this possibly the wheeled carriage you refer to ? I know the photo is circa 1900. I cannot locate my references on "Dress Regulations" to date the white jackets to further tie the date down.

BP
Attachments:

Cost of a machine gun? 6 years 6 months ago #55582

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hi BP.......

Could they be stewards for some special occasion like a formal mess dinner outside an Officers Mess, with a trophy. ?????
All of ours used to wear white and depending on the size and type of the dinner we used to hire OR's as stewards......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Cost of a machine gun? 6 years 6 months ago #55583

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
BP
It looks rather like a Dundonald carriage -

The Maxim shown in this pic from Creswicke is an early type; does not have a water jacket. The DD carriage had a steel frame and trail with wooden wheels with steel rims. In the field it would have had a limber and the unit was towed by four horses.

There was another type of carriage for the Maxim; that one was very similar to that of a Horse Artillery gun - but a lot lighter in construction.

I think your pic shows the former type.

I really don't know much about British Army uniforms; so I cannot assist in dating the pic from the white jackets. I do recall that a white, tropical dress jacket was and probably still is on issue.
Perhaps others on the forum might assist here.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds