Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Photos and War Diary of 53rd Battery RFA - some help! 6 years 2 weeks ago #57878

• RFA53
  • RFA53's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
I found a few photos and memorabilia of the 53rd RFA in which my great grandfather was a member which may prove useful for researchers and geneologists.
Photo 1 - assumed to be 53rd Battery command photo from India prior to embarkation (there are a few Indian chaps in the photo). If somebody could place this photo it would be appreciated and can then be posted to the site with appropriate 'rider'.
Photo 2 - forgive me for posting .jpg (memorabilia) 'celebrating' the war however when the 2nd brigade returned home they held a 'Ball' celebrating the defense/relief of Ladysmith. If the site administrator deems it appropriate to be shared then I suggest it is posted to the photo archive of the 2nd brigade RFA (21st, 42nd and 53rd batteries).
Document - War Diary of the 53rd RFA - Not sure how my G.Grandfather managed to obtain this however it seems to be the original 'Digest of Service of the 53rd Battery RFA from 1899-1903' ( it is written in pencil and bezel stamped). Including deployment from Desa, India, battle information and decorations of the battery. I though for some time that it might be a (handwritten) copy for all those decorated however the haphazard text seems to indicate that it was the original. I am looking to donate it somewhere and thinking the UK archive however would be interesting if somebody could attest to it's originality with some form of veracity.

Can send larger files to site administrator for posting.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Photos and War Diary of 53rd Battery RFA - some help! 6 years 2 weeks ago #57884

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
RFA53,

Is this what your copy of the Digest of Service looks like? I copied this at the RA Library, Woolwich - now in store.

The Digest I have is four pages long.

Regards
Meurig

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: RFA53

Photos and War Diary of 53rd Battery RFA - some help! 6 years 2 weeks ago #57890

• RFA53
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Meurig

Thank you for your response - it appears you have the 'official' record of the 53rd. Mine seems to be the either the original 'field draft' or a copy of the 'field draft'. I assume when they got home the wrote their field draft out neatly in pen and ink. Possibly they gave copies to those decorated (which my G.Grandfather was MID). There are small differences in sentence construction and abbreviations. Sorry that I did not post this originally it appears I posted a corrupt file. Annoyingly I think when I scanned it a couple of years ago - I missed a page and now the orginal is in storage. ... I think I am missing Dec '00 from the scan.

Anyway would be interesting if somebody could shed light on whether copies were made for those decorated.

Please now see attached.

Thank you again for the response.

Brett

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Photos and War Diary of 53rd Battery RFA - some help! 6 years 2 weeks ago #57892

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Brett

When I was copying the Digest of Service for all the batteries I did sometimes come across duplicates as you describe.

I don't know if anyone would know if copies were given to those who were decorated (I don't), it would be nice to think so, or perhaps a mate of your GG's simply gave him a copy as memento.

Regards
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: RFA53

Photos and War Diary of 53rd Battery RFA - some help! 6 years 2 weeks ago #57914

• RFA53
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you SWB and all - that solves 1 of the riddles. I have upon further research, backed away from the photo being of 53rd at Deesa circa 1899. Two of the officers in it are wearing what looks like King & Queens SA medals with about 5 clasps (Queens) and 2 (Kings). So must be after the boar war. He was at Coventry, Shoeburyness, Fermoy (under H.J. Brock, 42nd Batt., 1911) and eventually Bulford (30th Howz'r Br.,1914). At some point between he wars went from Gunner - brevet, to QMS. Late war was at Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight.

thanks again,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.575 seconds