Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Soldiers who died en route to South Africa - were they entitled to a QSA? 5 years 10 months ago #58498

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
At what point did soldiers who died become eligible for a medal? Below are two examples I've come across of soldiers dying before reaching South Africa - would their families have later received Queen's South Africa medals in the names of the deceased men?

"Private Moffat, of the Royal Army Medical Corps, committed suicide at Aldershot on Monday.....He was under orders for Africa."

"After leaving Teneriffe a shadow was cast over the ship, for on March 2nd one of the Yorkshires, a native of Scarborough, died at three a.m., and was buried at ten the same morning. Only the members of his own company were allowed at the funeral, which lasted about five minutes. All the other companies had to fall in on their own decks, and stand at attention while the service was on. I may mention that we crossed the equator the same day."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Soldiers who died en route to South Africa - were they entitled to a QSA? 5 years 10 months ago #58503

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
The award of a QSA medal was authorised under Army Order 94 of 1901. I understand that a person had to serve in-country to be eligible. I had a look through the Important Decisions section and the only reference I could find was that arrivals in SA after the conclusion of the war were not eligible for the basic medal.
Best regards
IL.

Soldiers who died en route to South Africa - were they entitled to a QSA? 5 years 10 months ago #58504

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
The only exception to the above I know of are the medals issued to e.g 3rd Wilts who guarded POW's at St Helena and never stepped foot in South Africa.

Soldiers who died en route to South Africa - were they entitled to a QSA? 5 years 10 months ago #58505

• LinneyI
Rory
The AO covered specifically the terms of the award; as well as those who served on St.Helena.

regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Soldiers who died en route to South Africa - were they entitled to a QSA? 5 years 10 months ago #58508

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

Rory wrote: The only exception to the above I know of are the medals issued to e.g 3rd Wilts who guarded POW's at St Helena and never stepped foot in South Africa.

Did the West Indies Regiment also serve on St. Helena during the war? There's a letter home from a UK soldier that mentions a man from the "West Indian Regiment" being sentenced to 6 months' imprisonment for highway robbery on St. Helena, and being taken to Cape Town to serve his sentence there.

Soldiers who died en route to South Africa - were they entitled to a QSA? 5 years 10 months ago #58509

• LinneyI
Berenice
I just had a look in the indices of TH and Maurice and there was no reference to the WIR. I recall seeing QSA medals named to WIR officers on very few occasions. Honours and Awards does contain a very few entries for the WIR (apparently seconded officers). A more knowledgeable forum member might help here.
Best regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.470 seconds