Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Soldiers who returned to die 5 years 10 months ago #59159

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2297
How can we get to see a copy of this return? Who would we apply to? Bureaucracy being what it is, surely this will still be kept somewhere.

"A Parliamentary return has been issued stating the number of sailors and soldiers, giving their names and description, who have been invalided home since the commencement of the South African campaign and have died from wounds or disease. As regards the Navy, only one leading seaman is returned as having died from tubercle of the lungs due to exposure during the siege of Ladysmith. The number of soldiers who have died is returned at 293, and of these the deaths of 23 were directly due to wounds received during the course of the war. The deaths resulting from enteric fever amounted to 77."
Tamworth Herald, Saturday 8th June 1901

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Soldiers who returned to die 5 years 10 months ago #59169

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Interesting snippet Berenice.

I suspect these figures would be somewhere in the official enquiry into the war. I know Steve Watt listed a number of UK deaths - I am not sure of the source.

As you have collected a number of stories on men and women committing suicide after their return who had been stricken with enteric, I wonder if theses figures include them?
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Soldiers who returned to die 5 years 10 months ago #59170

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2297
The number who died from wounds or enteric was reported to be 100 - that leaves another 193. J. F. Grourke, who I've just posted about in another sub-forum, died from a chill about being shipped home with enteric, so I can imagine that many others had been weakened by enteric and were therefore prey to chills and other infections. Suicide being included as one of the causes of death is possible, but I can't see anyone in authority being prepared to say so in public.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.357 seconds