Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Twelve Months With The Imperial Yeomanry - An unrecorded Boer War Book? 5 years 4 months ago #61424

• dunnboer
  • dunnboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 363
I have been collecting Boer War books for over 40 years and this is the first time in many years that I have come across a publication completely unknown to me and not in the standard bibliographies and not in Hackett's South African War Books. The book is "Twelve Months With The Imperial Yeomanry In South Africa. By One Of Lord Chesham's Brigade". Printed (for Private Circulation Only) By The Whitehaven News, Ltd. Bound in unlettered blue cloth, 60 pps.

The contents are published letters home written by 10240 Trooper H. Hunter, 37th Coy, 10th Battalion IY, and cover the period from Easter 1900 until May 1901 when the author returned home to Whitehaven. The highlight for me is an account of the fighting near Lindley on July 3rd 1900 at Barkin Kop. I have a DCM group to a HAC man with the CIV won at that action and described in Basil William's book but it is nice to have another account from a different point of view and even better to have a "new" book!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Twelve Months With The Imperial Yeomanry - An unrecorded Boer War Book? 5 years 4 months ago #61430

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
DunnBoer,

It must be a really nice experience to have a completely new book to explore.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.880 seconds