Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

South Africa Road, White City 5 years 3 months ago #61986

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Does anyone know if this road in London owes its name to the Anglo-Boer War, or to the White City exhibition complex?

Wikipedia says: - "Street names in the area suggest links to South Africa but these were inspired by places and personalities from the Boer War or by their proximity to the former position of the South Africa Pavilion in the White City exhibition area."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd%27s_Bush

Neighbouring roads include Australia Road, India Way, Canada Way, and Commonwealth Avenue (formerly Empire Avenue?), which could indicate the name being inspired by the Great White City - hidden-london.com/gazetteer/white-city/ - but there's also a Bloemfontein Road, which is perhaps more indicative of the ABW.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

South Africa Road, White City 5 years 3 months ago #61996

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Berenice,

In this thread ( www.qprdot.org/phpbb3mb/viewtopic.php?t=64776 ) someone says the road was called Loftus Road in 1894 so it may have been renamed due to the Boer War.
Dr David Biggins

South Africa Road, White City 5 years 3 months ago #62015

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
Thank you, David. The nearest Local Studies seems to be at Hammersmith - Shepherds Bush library doesn't have that - so, as I'm going to be in the Fulham area in April, I'll try to get to Hammersmith too, and make an enquiry there.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds