• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
Four men from New Seaham saw active service in South Africa -
John Dawson 6th Dragoon Guards
William Eyre Durham Light Infantry
Septimus Franklin 2nd Coldstream Guards
John Whittington

New Seaton was a colliery village which no longer exists, most of the old housing having been razed post-WW2, and it has been absorbed into the town of Seaham. Construction of the village began in 1844, following the sinking of Seaham Colliery. The Anglican church, Christ Church, was built in 1857, and there was also a Primitive Methodist Church. Around 1870 the population was just under 2,500, living in basic terraced housing, but 164 lives were lost in an explosion in the colliery in September 1880. In 1916, a German U-boat shelled the village, injuring one person, and two died from German bombing during WW2.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02scljb
Most of the old New Seaham has gone now, but a few buildings still survive, including the Miners' Hall, and the colliery merged with another in 1988, closing by 1993.

durhamrecordsonline.com/library/new-seaham-seaham-colliery/

www.east-durham.co.uk/seaham/seahamcolli...eahamcollhistory.htm

Septimus Franklin, who is a private in the 2nd Battalion of the Coldstream Guards, writing to his wife, who lives at 25, Dock Street, New Seaham, describes the battle of Belmont. The work of that day, he says, will live in my memory for ever. I saw scenes that made my blood cold, as bullets whistled about my head and shells screamed and burst around, killing and wounding scores of men. I never expected to live through the awful slaughter. Thank God, I escaped without a scratch. They can talk about the glory of war, but I fail to see where it is.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Saturday 30th December 1899

Private Septimus Franklin, of the Coldstream Guards, has returned to his home at New Seaham after serving in the late war in South Africa. Franklin, who was a Reservist, was called up at the beginning of hostilities, and has thus gone through the whole campaign. He has seen some hard fighting, and has had many narrow escapes, but has come back unwounded and in good health. On arrival home Franklin was accorded a most enthusiastic welcome. There is now only one more New Seaham man to return - Private John Dawson, of the 6th Dragoon Guards.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Monday 28th July 1902

The New Seaham Patriotic Fund, promoted with the object of assisting the wives of the Reservists of New Seaham who served in the recent war, will shortly be wound up. It has been decided to dispose of the balance in hand by presenting each of the Reservists - S. Franklin (Coldstream Guards), John Dawson (6th Dragoon Guards), J. Whittington, and J. Eyre (Durham Light Infantry) - with a gold watch.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Monday 30th August 1902

There was an enthusiastic gathering in the Miners' Hall, New Seaham, on Saturday night, when the local patriotic fund, which was formed at the outbreak of the South African War to support the wives and children of reservists working at the pit who were called up to join their regiments, was closed. The balance in the hands of the treasurer (Mr T. Brough, colliery manager) was used for the purchase of gold watches for presentation to Messrs Septimus Franklin, John Dawson, John Whittington, and William Eyre, who were all actively engaged in the late war. Mrs Brough, Mr T. Brough (colliery manager), Mr James Hoy (secretary to the New Seaham Miners' Lodge), and Mr G. Pickles made the presentations, and the recipients returned thanks. Mr J. L. McCutcheon, who was secretary to the fund, was also given a very pretty smokers' companion, the presentation being made by Mr Stephen Turnbull, miners' checkweighman. A smoking concert was afterwards held. The artists were Misses L. Ferry and J. Stark, and Messrs R. Brownlee, J. Wanless, Joseph Heppell, and Mr William Lowery. The colliery band and the Londonderry Orchestra also contributed to the entertainment. Private Dawson was twice at the front. He was invalided home, and after his recovery went out again. Private Franklin was amongst the first contingents sent out, and did not return till the war was finished. They all came back in good health.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Monday 29th September 1902
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds