• Thank you received: 1879
Got sent this today.....

Mike

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Just a little humor..... 4 years 3 months ago #67409

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303
....Some of the stories told by the Warwickshire men who have been invalided home are distinctly good. One of the offlcers who was wounded at Spion Kop was asked about his experiences, and recounted how he was shot down in the advance, how he lay for hours on the hillside until at length the ambulance men appeared, picked him up, and placed him in the ammunition wagon. "You mean in the ambulance wagon," corrected an interested editor. "No, I don't, I mean the ammunition wagon." "But surely - the ambulance men - they would take you
with them. You were shot." "That was just it. I was so full of bullets they put me in the ammunition wagon."
....It is amusing to learn that almost the first result of releasing the prisoners in Pretoria was a series of fights between some of the rescued and rescuers. Some of the 18th Hussars who were captured early in the war were among the released, and the army, with that rough and ready wit which distinguishes Tommy Atkins, has kindly bestowed upon the company the nickname "Kruger's own."
Originally printed in The Birmingham Gazette

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds