TOPIC:

Alfred Bruce 4 years 2 weeks ago #68198

• Militiarob
  • Militiarob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good day to you all.
I am new to the forum and have already found it fascinating the time that you ladies and gentlemen put into this has to be applauded.
I am retired and have decided to embark on my family history initially with my Father, Grandfather and Grand uncle.
My Grandfather was Alfred Bruce who belonged to the 5th Militia Batt Manchester Regiment 7373.
He was born 10:08:1884. I know that he was awarded the clasps to ( presumably the Kings SA Medal) for Cape Colony and Orange Free State . He embarked for South Africa on 17 : June 1901, Note that he was only 16 years of age. returning to Blighty on the 31 July 1902 still before his 18th birthday.
My question is relative to the photo I have attached ( my Grandfather is the one on the left) , was that a standard uniform?? or was he possibly mounted??. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Rob
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Alfred Bruce 4 years 2 weeks ago #68199

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Your Photo.....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

Alfred Bruce 4 years 2 weeks ago #68247

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
Hi Rob
Not sure on the Mounted Infantry angle it s possible as most regiments raised mounted infantry troops. However, the Manchester regiment Militia battalions did wear this type of serge tunic and slouch hat.
Have a look at gmic.co.uk there is a good thread relating to the uniform and the 5th Manchester militia is mentioned with accompanying photographs.
Search for serge uniform Boer War.
best regards
Dave
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds