Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Words from the war 3 years 9 months ago #69718

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Suggestions, please, for words and phrases - English, Afrikaans, or any other language - that had their origin in the ABW.

Mafficking. To maffick - archaic British verb, to celebrate extravagantly and publicly.
www.thefreedictionary.com/mafficking

'When the news of the relief of Mafeking reached the Mannesmann Works, Landore, the workmen put down their tools and went away Mafficking without first obtaining sanction.'
The South Wales Daily Post, 22nd June 1900

'There will be no "mafficking," at any rate of an official character, when General Baden-Powell arrives at Southampton.'
Evening Express [Cardiff], 31st July 1900

Still in use in 1919!

'ond nid er mwyn cael y pethau hyn yr aeth y bechgyn allan, ac nid er mwyn y "mafficking" a'r flag-waving chwaith.'
Gwyleidydd Newydd, 2nd July 1919

'Haverfordwest, swept and garnished, its streets a blaze of colour and echoing with the joyous laughter of children, celebrated Peace on Saturday in a manner that accords with its best traditions. There was no "mafficking," no ejaculations of wild delight as on Armistice day, but rather a feeling of relief at the formal close of the war and the dawn of a happier era.'
The Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph, 23rd July 1919
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Words from the war 3 years 9 months ago #69735

• BereniceUK
Spion Kop as a place name, and not in the sporting sense.

Wikipedia lists some, but I've found others.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Spion_Kop

There's an area called Spion Kop in Judith Basin County, Montana, USA. Doesn't appear to be populated now (a post office was established there in 1906, so there must have been a rural community in the area), but there's now the Spion Kop Wind Farm. About a third of the population in the surrounding area has German roots.
www.mapquest.com/search/result?slug=%2Fu...Id=282023085&index=0

Coincidentally, there's a Spion Kop Wind Farm in County Leitrim, Ireland.
www.arignafuels.ie/about/windfarm/

Padiham, Lancashire, has a street called Spion Kop, which used to be claimed as being the steepest street in the UK.
www.alamy.com/spion-kop-apparently-one-o...-image334657773.html

There's a hill in British Columbia, Canada, which was called Ellison Ridge, but was known locally, and unofficially, as Spion Kop. The name has now been officially changed. "Our Spion Kop, which bears a certain resemblance to its South African cousin, was likely named by Boer War veteran and Okanagan settler Leslie Caesar."
lauriecarter.com/spion-kop-trails/

www.lakecountrymuseum.com/spion-kop/

New Zealand also has a hill named Spion Kop, near Wellington.
www.ttc.org.nz/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tararua...rints/MakaretuValley

Spion Kop (or Kopf) Lookout "was named by soldiers after a battle in the Boer War," and overlooks Queenstown, Tasmania.
tasmania.com/things-to-do/best-views-and.../spion-kopf-lookout/

In the southwest of Western Australia is a mountain named Spion Kop.
www.bonzle.com/c/a?a=p&p=37393&cmd=sp

Queensland has, or had, the Spion Kop mine.
www.mindat.org/loc-272047.html

Another mine was the Spion Kop Colliery. Major-General Coke owned the land, near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, and established a settlement there, near the colliery, naming it after the battle.
www.ournottinghamshire.org.uk/page/spion_kop

According to Wikipedia "A mountain top east of Narvik, Norway, was named Spionkopen after news of the battle reached the navvies constructing the nearby Ofoten railway line." I wonder what nationality they were.
books.google.co.uk/books?id=pWGCAwAAQBAJ...%2C%20norway&f=false (scroll up very slightly, same page)

Words from the war 3 years 9 months ago #69737

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
There are several locations/references using "Spion Kop" in NSW; a hill near Waterfall (postcode 2233), a hill visible on the road to/from Woy Woy and Spion Kop Rd at Mayvale (postcode 2347). There are probably a few more. I did an answer concerning the location on Woy Woy rd., and posted a pic of it some time ago.
Best regards
IL.

Words from the war 3 years 9 months ago #69993

• BereniceUK
Kruger's pills - British army slang for bullets fired by the Boers.

Private R. Griffiths, of the 2nd (King's Own) Royal Lancaster Regiment, writing home to Penrith, Cumberland, on date 13th January 1900, said "We captured a party of Boers this morning, and they said they were very hungry and wanted something. We asked them if they would like one of Kruger's pills, which was, of course, a round of ammunition."

Private G. Jasper, 6th Dragoon Guards, writing to his parents at Battersea, "One of our men fell off his horse not 200 yards from the Boers. I went back and brought him in one my horse, and, by ____, old Kruger's pills did not half hop around." (Published 8th February 1900)

From an anonymous South Wales Borderer, describing being wounded at Karee Siding, and published on 31st May 1900, "I suppose you know by this time that it was my luck to stop one of Kruger's pills that fractured my thigh."

Words from the war 3 years 9 months ago #70004

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
That's very interesting research, Berenice.

There is al the word Kop at football ground which originated from Spion Kop.
Dr David Biggins

Words from the war 3 years 9 months ago #70005

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
I was reading Pakenham's book yesterday and he talks about the popularity, probably during the war, of adding South African suffices to words. He give the example of Kensingtonfontein.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.510 seconds