Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Images from Beamish Museum Co.Durham England 11 years 11 months ago #2994

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Not sure to which forum to place these in so chose Miscellany.
A recent visit to the open air museum at Beamish Co.Durham England.
I took these pictures in the period schoolroom, they seemed to be original prints depicting the Boer War campaign, behind glass so apologies for the reflections.
Thought they might be of some interest.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Images from Beamish Museum Co.Durham England 11 years 11 months ago #2996

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Paul,

That sounds like a very unexpected find but what great pictures.

The picture of Pieter's Hill is by the artist Sutherland I believe. I am not sure how many pictures he created of the Boer War and they were certainly fabulous if not wholly accurate representations of the engagements in the Boer War. I would imagine they were very well received in school rooms and helped to explain what had happened and who was involved.

With thanks again
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Images from Beamish Museum Co.Durham England 11 years 11 months ago #2999

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Paul

Having worked in museums for much of my lfe, I have known about the Beamish Museum for a long time. I would not have expected to find a link to the Boer War there, so I was immediately attracted by the title of your post and pleasantly surprised by its contents. I hope displays of this kind, and all the Boer War memorials around Britain, keep a memory of this war alive in the modern UK.

Regards
Brett

Re: Images from Beamish Museum Co.Durham England 11 years 11 months ago #3015

• coldstream
Hi David,
Thank you for the extra information of the artist, I will further explore.

Regards
Paul

djb wrote: Paul,

That sounds like a very unexpected find but what great pictures.

The picture of Pieter's Hill is by the artist Sutherland I believe. I am not sure how many pictures he created of the Boer War and they were certainly fabulous if not wholly accurate representations of the engagements in the Boer War. I would imagine they were very well received in school rooms and helped to explain what had happened and who was involved.

With thanks again
David

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Images from Beamish Museum Co.Durham England 11 years 11 months ago #3016

• coldstream
Hi Brett,
This museum is fairly local to me about 25 miles away and I have visited many times.
It was only last year when I took my grandson that I noticed these images in the school building and was excited to find them (hard to believe I missed them on the previous occasions!)
I took the photographs at the time and downloaded the onto the PC and totaly forgot about them until last night.
Pleased they are of interest.

Regards
Paul

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

Having worked in museums for much of my lfe, I have known about the Beamish Museum for a long time. I would not have expected to find a link to the Boer War there, so I was immediately attracted by the title of your post and pleasantly surprised by its contents. I hope displays of this kind, and all the Boer War memorials around Britain, keep a memory of this war alive in the modern UK.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.638 seconds