Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Volunteers and Reserves of the 5th V.B. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 3 years 8 months ago #71140

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
LIST OF VOLUNTEERS AND RESERVE SECTIONS OF THE 5TH V.B. A. & S.H.

….The composition of the Volunteer Service Section of the 5th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders who have proceeded on active service to South Africa, is as follows: -

REG.
...NO....RANK & NAMES. .........ADDRESS.
..….…Lt. .A. Macarthur...…...Glengoil, Lochgoilhead.
7322 Pte. A. Armour....…...... Dalaruan, Campbeltown.
7323...."...W. Gillespie....…... Drumlemble, ……"
7324...."...W. Hay. ……...….. John Street, Dunoon.
7325...."....P. Kelly.…………..Kilkivan, near Campbeltown.
7326...."....J. M'Callum....……Milknowe, Campbeltown.
7327...."....N. M'Niven...……..Southend, Kintyre.
7328...."....H. Monteith.…...…Drumlemble, Campbeltown.
7329...."....J. M'Clellan.…..….Kilmartin, Argyllshire.
7330...."....T. Moffat.…….…..Southend, Kintyre.
7331....."...S. M'Kendrick....…High Street, Dalntober.
7332...."....W. Purves.…...…..Mansebrae, Largs.
7333...."....J. S. Purves.…....…...…."...…..…."
7334...."....A. Scrymgeour......Edward Street, Dunoon.
7335....."...H. Stewart..….…...Duke Street, Dunoon.
7336....."...A. Walker..…...…..Cromwell Street, Dunoon.

….The composition of the Volunteer Reserve Section of the 5th V.B. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders is as under: -

COY. RANK & NAMES.…….…….ADDRESS.
..A...….Pte. A. Campbell...…….Dalmally, Argyllshire.
..A...……"....D. M'Coll.………………."...……….."
..C...……"....J. Matheson...…….Glebe Street, Campbeltown.
..D...……"....W. M. Allan...……..Hillfoot Street, Dunoon.
..D………"....H. C. Dingley..…...Wandsbeck, Dunoon.
..D..….…"....A. M'Laren...……...Victoria Road, Dunoon.
..D...……"....J. Millar...……….....Hyslop Cottage, Dunoon.
..D..….…"....J. Porter...….……...Meldrum's Land, Dunoon.
..D..….…"....G. Robertson..........Houston Villa, Dunoon.
..E...……."....D. M'Vicar...….…..76 Jamieson Street, Glasgow.
..F...……."....J. Livingston...…....39 East Larroch, Ballachulish.
..F...……."....W. M'intyre...…......35 West Larroch, Ballachulish.
..F...……."....D. Vince..……....….Brecklet, Ballachulish.
..G...……."....J. Livingston...…….Lintmill, Campbeltown.
..H...……."....J. Currie.……….….Ardrishaig, Lochfyne.

Dunoon Herald, 2nd March 1900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Volunteers and Reserves of the 5th V.B. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 2 years 5 months ago #79632

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1991
BereniceUK,

If in the future you have another chance to consult the Dunoon Herald, please could you have a look for a roll for the Dunoon Volunteers (D Company, 5th V.B.) who served with the 3rd Volunteer Active Service Company.
I have had a crack at it here , but four names are based solely on the service number sequence, so may be incorrect.

I cannot access the National Library of Scotland newspaper archive because I do not live in Scotland... !

Neville

Volunteers and Reserves of the 5th V.B. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 2 years 5 months ago #79637

• BereniceUK
Hi Neville. All the information I have from the Dunoon Herald was when I visited Dunoon Library and went though some of the microfilm reels there. The coverage of the war in that paper was a bit patchy, some issues had plenty of info, others very little.

...."The following officer and men of this battalion have been selected for service in South Africa: - Lieutenant A. J. MacArthur, Glengoil; Privates J. MacCallum, Campbeltown; J. E. Purves, Campbeltown; D. M'Kendrick, Campbeltown; T. Moffatt, Campbeltown; W. Gillespie, Campbeltown; H. Monteith, Campbeltown; N. M'Niven, Campbeltown; A. Armour, Campbeltown; P. Kelly, Campbeltown; A. Scrimgeour, Dunoon; A. Walker, Dunoon; H. Stewart, Dunoon; W. Hay, Dunoon; G. M'Clelland, Kilmartin; J. M'Millan, Campbeltown; W. Purvis, Campbeltown. Dunoon being the headquarters of the battalion, it is expected that all those selected for active service will parade here before leaving for South Africa."
Dunoon Herald, Friday 12th January 1900

A poem appeared in the paper dedicated to Alexander Scrymgeour, Archibald Walker, Hugh Stewart and William Hay. I have the account of the departure from Dunoon of the above four men, if you'd like it.

"Before leaving for the front the four Dunoon men had their life insured with the Prudential Assurance Company - their policy being paid for by public subscription."
Dunoon Herald, Friday 19th January 1900

"On Friday evening last Private Hugh Stewart, one of the Volunteers now stationed at Stirling Castle, was entertained in the Bridge Street Station Hotel, Glasgow, by a number of Dunoon friends, when he was made the recipient of a pair of field glasses and a beautiful gold badge as a token of their esteem and regard for him."
Dunoon Herald, Friday 2nd February 1900

"On Friday evening last Privates Millar, Porter, and MacLaren of D Company, 5th Volunteer Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, were sworn in as Reserves before Provost Doig - each one receiving the Queen's shilling. The men were told to hold themselves in readiness to leave for the front at a moment's notice."
Dunoon Herald, Friday 2nd February 1900

As far as I can see from what I have, I only went up to the end of March 1900. No plans to revisit Dunoon at present, but if I think I might be going up that way again, I'll let you know.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Volunteers and Reserves of the 5th V.B. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 2 years 5 months ago #79656

• Neville_C
  • Away
Thank you,
The info provided is very helpful, especially with regard to the gold badge presented to Private STEWART, which was not on my database.
The Dunoon Herald has been digitised (unsure which dates) and is available online through the National Library of Scotland. Their's is a resource I would dearly like to access, but the copyright holder has insisted that only Scottish residents should be able to view the newspapers they have digitised. Nationalism gone mad or something else?

As you are probably aware all the ABW attestation papers for the 5th V.B. are missing.

Neville

Volunteers and Reserves of the 5th V.B. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 2 years 5 months ago #79660

• BereniceUK
Scrymgeour, Walker, Stewart and Hay all received various leaving gifts, routine things such as tobacco, pipes, etc., the only one of real interest was the gold badge. It didn't say whether it was inscribed, but there must have been something on it, it surely can't have been plain gold.

How is it possible that the same content accessible at a Scottish library isn't copyrighted? I take it that it's only what's on the National Library of Scotland database that's copyrighted, not the newspaper itself. Petty-minded jingoism.

If you can give me some approximate dates to look up, I'll go back to Dunoon, probably summer next year, as I wouldn't mind going to Greenock to look up the local paper there.

Volunteers and Reserves of the 5th V.B. Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders 2 years 5 months ago #79662

• Neville_C
  • Away
It is the scans / images of the pages that are protected by copyright law. This is also true of the images available on Find My Past (copyright owned by the British Library), and, incredibly, also applies to text that has been generated by their in-house OCR. So you can publish an article if you have personally transcribed it, but you cannot publish the exact same text if it has been generated by their software.. !

Of course the huge difference is that the BL archive is available worldwide, whereas NLS has signed a contract which restricts access to Scottish nationals only. I have made my feelings clear about this, but NLS say the legal document they put their signature to ties their hands. It is difficult to work out what the publisher's agenda is in this case. They don't seem to have sold licences to any other libraries/archives, and, anyway, if money was the issue, surely they would be selling subscriptions (like FMP and the BL). It does seem to point to some form of Nationalism.

As far as dates are concerned, it is the 3rd V.A.S.C. that I am having difficulty with. They received gold badges (life passes for Dunoon Pier) on 13th September 1902. See: Dunoon Tribute Medal .

Private W.M. ALLAN of the 2nd V.A.S.C. is also proving difficult to trace. It is possible that he is 8505 Pte A.M. Allan, but two sources give his initial as "W".

N

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.078 seconds