• Page:

TOPIC:

UnKnown rifle.....poss a commercial DWM sporter?? 2 weeks 6 days ago #95038

• Nik
  • Nik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 9

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

UnKnown rifle.....poss a commercial DWM sporter?? 2 weeks 6 days ago #95039

• Rob D
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 768
The stock and barrelled actions not only have different serial numbers but are made by different manufacturers. The stock has the Ludwig Loewe cartouche just in front of the carved initials. I would say with 99% confidence the stock is from a Boer Mauser. The barrel band is also of the type made by Ludwig Loewe. The Initials J.A.C s look very much like I have seen on numerous rifles, and could be something like Jan Andries Coetzee (seun).
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

UnKnown rifle.....poss a commercial DWM sporter?? 2 weeks 6 days ago #95041

• Nik
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
So we are getting closer with the time period, with a mix of ludwig and DWM parts. What about the barrel and action??

I was reading in another thread about a number of extra rifles (without contract serial numbers) included with each shipment to be given as gifts or bribes?? Or am I wildly off.........

It would appear my 2 DWM were built in 2 different places as well.

And why would there be so many rifles of that name out there???

I realy appreciate your help on this.
Attachments:

UnKnown rifle.....poss a commercial DWM sporter?? 2 weeks 6 days ago #95043

• Rob D
  • Away
I don't mean literally that I have seen JAC before. You could consult all 4 volumes of Dave George's "Carvings from the Veldt" to see if he has recorded another rifle carved identically. In Afrikaner families the same names are handed down through generations. So Jan Andries Coetzee was just one example of a name shared by several people. What I was trying to explain is that, in my experience, three crudely cut initials on the right hand side of the butt on a Loewe 7mm Mauser is good evidence that the stock is from a Boer's rifle. Your barrelled action is from another rifle which is not stamped like a Boer Mauser, and I have not come across similar markings. I would be interested to see any evidence that Mausers were given as bribes, as the definitive books on the subject make no such allegation.

UnKnown rifle.....poss a commercial DWM sporter?? 2 weeks 6 days ago #95044

• Nik
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Lol Cheers Rob, I had you as a font of all knowledge and should have guessed thats what you meant.... my bad.

"In those innocent days around 1900 it was usual practice to include some sporting rifles in the military calibers into each shipment of military rifles to foreign countries. These were meant as "presents" to the decision-making officers. Mauser, Oberndorf sent C-type "Army Hunting Rifles", for example some in 7.65 mm for Argentinia, see Jon Speed's first book "Mauser-OOSR" page 111.

Ludwig Loewe/DWM also had sporters, the so-called "Plezier rifles" built on left over M93 Spanish Mauser actions and shipped them, together with the military M95 7x57 Mausers, to the South African republics Orange Free State and Transvaal, where the sporters were not only used for hunting, but for shooting Brits too. These plezier Mausers are now rare and sought-after collector items. All these rifles show civilian proofmarks.
This DWM made, civilian proofed sporter served as a present (or bribe) when it was shipped to a South American country. At least, it looks somewhat similar to a Mauser C-type with the military stepped barrel and front sight base. Though DWM did not offer sporters to the public, they made several hundreds at least, but not for sale."

I think mine is an Oberndorf??

From another thread....

This isnt making ref to my rifle, but a similar with the same markings. I do not know how accurate this information is.

UnKnown rifle.....poss a commercial DWM sporter?? 2 weeks 6 days ago #95045

• Rob D
  • Away
If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I would bet:
- your stock is a from Boer Mauser
- your barrelled action is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma, whose answer lies outside South Africa.

Finally, here's a detail of Boer Guedes rifle, to amuse you.

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.884 seconds