Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

For Brett--Bushman's River 11 years 10 months ago #3591

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Brett

I think you mentioned this River in a previous post and I have just noticed this postcard in my album.
Thought it might be of interest?

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: For Brett--Bushman's River 11 years 10 months ago #3597

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
It is indeed, Paul. Thank you for posting it. The character of the Bushman's River at Estcourt changed after two weirs were built, so the rocky bed of the river all but disappeared from view. Also, willow trees were planted along its banks, so parts of it look very 'English', which no doubt delighted the majority of the inhabitants of the town during the first half of the 20th Century. The majority of the townsfolk today would be mystified by comparisons with England.

Regards
Brett

Re: For Brett--Bushman's River 11 years 10 months ago #3598

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
I forgot to mention that the bridge shown on the postcard must have been that for the railway line in use during the Boer War. In the 1950's the railway line between Durban and Johannesburg was doubled and much of the old route near Estcourt was abandoned. It is still visible in places and, apart from the track itself, it is marked by peach trees, which grew from peach stones discarded by railway passengers.

The road bridge at Estcourt. which was in use during the Boer War, is still in use, although there is a new highway to Johannesburg that now by-passes the town. The bridge is at the foot of the hill on which Fort Durnford stands. This Boer War hospital is now a museum with a largely invisible curator and little on display to attract Boer War pilgrims. The road bridge is a typically Victorian one made of cast iron and no doubt exported to Natal when the railway line was under contruction in the late 1800's. There are probably dozens of these bridges scattered throughout the Old Empire. It nearly came to its end in the 1990's when one of the self-taught engineers, who are now employed by South African municipalties, fiddled with it and made it unsafe. It was rescued and still stands today, a testament to the skills and ingenuity of Victorian engineers and its durability in spite of mistreatment.

Brett

Re: For Brett--Bushman's River 11 years 10 months ago #3613

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Brett

Thank you for the extra information on the postcard, most grateful.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.407 seconds