Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wharfedale Yeomanry? 12 years 9 months ago #733

• NZMR
  • NZMR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,
I assume the Wharfedale Yeomanry were an Imperial Yeomanry company (or part thereof), but I'm having trouble identifying which Coy/Batt the Wharfedale Yeomanry might have been part of. Any ideas?

Cheers
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Wharfedale Yeomanry? 12 years 8 months ago #783

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Phil,

While looking into your query, I came across a reference to medals and Yeomanry and Wharfdale. My excitement was short lived but the excerpt I found is worth sharing:

"The chief officer of a Yorkshire yeomanry regiment while congratulating one of
the troops on its appearance, made a stirring allusion to the medals worn by some
army veterans in the ranks. One of the men, a native of Wharfedale, afterwards went
home in a very thoughtful frame of mind, and next morning he came on parade with
several medals on his breast. Said the officer: "I didn't know you had been in the
regulars." "No, I ain't," said the man. "Well, how about the medals then, my good
fellow, they can't be yours?" The man promptly answered: "Can't they! Aye but
they be. My old coo won 'em all at Otley Show."

Source: "Upper Wharfedale: being a complete account of the history, antiquities and scenery of the picturesque valley of the Wharfe, from Otley to Langstrothdale"

Not very helpful, I know!

In the book by Stevens ( www.angloboerwar.com/books/78-stevens-th...iv-cooping-up-de-wet ) gives a quote from "A member of the Wharfedale Yeomanry, an officer under General Arthur Paget in Lord Methuen's Division"

In Otley, there is a memorial to a man of the Wharfedale Yeomanry which reads: 'In memoriam, The Transvaal War, 1899-1902, In memory of Trooper John Wilton Sedman of The Wharfedale Yeomanry, and of Sapper John Ventriss Duell, H Company, 2nd West York Royal Engineer Volunteers who bravely served their Queen and country, finally dying at the post of duty. '

Sedman is listed in the medal roll under the 57th Company 15th Battalion Imperial Yeomanry. There are a couple of other Sedmans in Yorkshire units too.

In Memoriam lists Sedman as serving in 15.57.

That was shaping up quite nicely but for the fact that the 57th Company was from Buckinghamshire. Agh!

Does the 57th/15th make any sense to you, Phil?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Wharfedale Yeomanry? 12 years 8 months ago #784

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Phil,

There's a reference on the this size for Kiwis killed in the Great War ( freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sooty/nzefrohL.html ) mentioning Ernest Long. Looking at the QSA rolls, there were a couple of men with this name, one of which served in the 57th/15th.

I can't work out why the 57th/15th were called the Wharfedale Yeomanry (if indeed they were!)?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Wharfedale Yeomanry? 12 years 8 months ago #785

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
One more reference that may be helpful. There is an article called "WHARFEDALE" YEOMANRY IN ACTION
in The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, August 4, 1900; Issue 19450. (1427 words).
Dr David Biggins

Re: Wharfedale Yeomanry? 12 years 8 months ago #786

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Another reference to the 57th/15th.

From the Bradford Library Card Index: Bland, Daniel aged 20 years – Trooper in the Wharfedale Yeomanry and son of Wilson and Thirze Bland of Otley Road, Guiseley. Death – Yorkshire Daily Observer 19th Dec 1901.

He is listed in In Memoriam as serving in the 57th/15th. However, in the medal rolls, he is listed under the 56th (Bucks), 15th IY.
Dr David Biggins

Re: Wharfedale Yeomanry? 12 years 8 months ago #791

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
The answer may lie in the fact that Sedman and Bland were second contingent men.

The second and third IY contingents were not so tightly regionally recruited as the first contingent. Therefore you get men appearing from different parts of the country serving in the same county designated IY company.

Incidentally Sedman is also on the Buckinghamshire County memorial and the Yorkshire County memorial. See www.boerwarregister.com .

Perhaps a block of Wharfedale Yeomen were assigned to the 56th in the same spirit as pals battalions were formed in WW1?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.419 seconds