Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #8017

• Angloannie
  • Angloannie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
David and Brett thank you for responding.

I may have come across a skeleton in the cupboard in my research of Francis J Hanna, not in relation to Francis but to his friend. It could certainly be termed a mystery which I seem to have inadvertently uncovered.

Francis enlisted in the 5th Bn Royal Irish Rifles in 1899 with his good friend and neighbour who was 23 at the time and married with one child. In 1900 this man’s wife had a second child. With Francis he embarked for South Africa on 5 April 1901. In the summer of 1902 his wife had another child, but Francis and his friend did not disembark from South Africa until July of that year. So now I am thinking the mystery story could be a story about infidelity. :blush:

One of Francis’ sons who died at a ripe old age several years ago remembered this family and the story was that because the man’s father had died in the autumn of 1901 he had returned home on leave for a short time the September before.

This has now whetted my appetite as I like a good mystery, hence my question about men returning home on leave. I think it is most unlikely he did and would imagine the story of coming home as his father had died was a cover up. I would be interested to know if anyone agrees with my reasoning - then I'll change my name to Agatha!

Regards, Annie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #8027

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite the norm by 1917! :)

Angloannie wrote: I must say I was amused at the idea of popping over to Paris on a pass!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds