Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #7969

• Angloannie
  • Angloannie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
This might sound a stupid question but I wondered if the men fighting in the Boer War ever got home on leave. The answer I think is probably "no" as, unlike soldiers fighting in the Western Front in the Great War, those in Theatres of War away from the Western Front were too far away to be able to get home for short periods.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #7970

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Hello Annie.....

I agree I am sure that other than Officers who could afford it the ordinary soldier did not get home on leave.....

But in saying that I know of a situation where a couple of Privates from the Strathcona's instead of going with the regiment to South Africa went to England for leave and joined the regiment in South Africa after it had arrived.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angloannie

Re: Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #7974

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Annie,
You must bare in mind that we are talking about volunteers and not conscripts during the Boer War and many members of the SAMIF only enlisted for very short periods, three months, six months etc.
The rank and file of the British Army had little choice, you could not get a forty eight hour pass and pop over to Paris! :(
Regards Frank

Angloannie wrote: This might sound a stupid question but I wondered if the men fighting in the Boer War ever got home on leave. The answer I think is probably "no" as, unlike soldiers fighting in the Western Front in the Great War, those in Theatres of War away from the Western Front were too far away to be able to get home for short periods.

Re: Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #7979

• Angloannie
  • Angloannie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you Mike and Frank. I must say I was amused at the idea of popping over to Paris on a pass! Seriously, the reason I asked was for family reasons like bereavement and the fact that the volunteer had originally "signed up" for a 6 year period. I didn't think it would be practical for an ordinary soldier serving in South Africa to be afforded the leave or expense to do so. Thank you again.
Regards, Annie

Re: Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #7985

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
AngloAnnie,

That's an interesting question and I also think the answer is 'no' when it comes to the men and possible for the officers. The shipping records certainly show a number of officers going back home from time to time.

Does anyone know the official policy on this?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Did they get home on leave? 11 years 1 month ago #8002

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
I suspect that for 'other ranks' only a serious wound or illness would have got them a ticket home. I also suspect that self-inflicted gunshot wounds in the foot would not have sufficed.

I have the papers for a Sergeant-Major in the Natal Carbineers who sustained a serious accidental gunshot wound in a leg during the Siege of Ladysmith. After the Siege was lifted, he tried in vain to get himself shipped to Britain for treatment.

Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.938 seconds