Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

39th Coy 10th Bn and 58th Coy 15th Battallion Berkshire IY medal clasps 8 years 10 months ago #41282

• BerkshireT
  • BerkshireT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
Hello,
I would be pleased to find out about research relating to 39th Coy 10th Battalion and 58th Coy 15th Battalion medals. The Queens South Africa medal awards and bars to members of Berkshire Imperial Yeomanry soldiers. There are around 560 QSA listed in total across two contingents of these two companies. I know the clasp entitlements and names based on medal rolls but little more than the names and clasp.
I would be pleased to learn more about specific :) recipients of QSA from 39th and 58th Coy and an opportunity to obtain QSA medals to these companies would be welcome.
Typical Clasp awards are a combination of the following Wittebergen, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. These clasp account for 90% of clasps awarded to these units so I’d like to learn about what each clasp represents in terms of events?
Please refer me to books or links to learn more as I find loads on Boer War but .... not specific "needle and haystack"!

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

39th Coy 10th Bn and 58th Coy 15th Battallion Berkshire IY medal clasps 8 years 10 months ago #41284

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The state and date clasps on their QSA's buttoned very tightly indeed, over the well worn coat, of a great deal of very hard soldiering, not just the Imperial Yeomanry, but, the whole army deployed in South Africa, after the enemies capitals had been taken, there are certainly very many books, both contemporary and modern that cover the Anglo Boer War, many are available here, transcribed in full, on this site.
If you want specific detail upon individual members of the Companies you mention, moreover, as you actually know the exact identities of the men you are looking for, the first place to start is in WO128 at Kew, most of the papers within, though, certainly not all, are available on line and it is always very interesting to look at particular regiments and their soldiers, you do, so often, begin to see a pattern emerge upon doing so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BerkshireT

39th Coy 10th Bn and 58th Coy 15th Battallion Berkshire IY medal clasps 8 years 10 months ago #41287

• BerkshireT
Thanks Frank, I will certainly follow up on the personal records for individual soldiers details. I have a readers card for Kew but the problem is once I get there its like a "boy in a sweet shop" and I end up looking at stuff I never knew about, let alone intended to research. Its not great that you cannot save info or mail it at Kew and only option is to print so it seems restrictive but there is a whole lot of very interesting documents to get lost in. Thanks again

39th Coy 10th Bn and 58th Coy 15th Battallion Berkshire IY medal clasps 3 years 8 months ago #71081

• BerkshireT
This post was started 5 years ago so to refresh... I would be interested in QSA medals and Groups to Berkshire I.Y which are usually attributed to 39th Coy 10th Bn or 58th Coy 15th Battalion, however in the second contingent the Berkshire IY were spread across other companies.

I am also interested in QSA medals to other members of Companies to 10th Bn and 15th Battalion
Fingers crossed
Wayne

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.557 seconds