Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1915 Star reunited 7 years 3 weeks ago #52315

• 2li0
  • 2li0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello
I have just received a 1914/15 star to Private William Carr 5774, 2nd King's Shropshire L.I., and now reunited with his QSA-KSA and War Medal only now require his Victory medal to complete the group
fingers crossed
A big thank you to Neil a member of the forum who kindly let me have the Star
Many thanks PHILIP
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1915 Star reunited 7 years 3 weeks ago #52317

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Philip

Well done, I think that re-unite has been a while in the making? In 2006 we corresponded some years back on another W Carr of the KSLI whose SA issued VM I have for the SA Native Labour Corps, he had served in the ABW. As you had the medals to #5774 we decided my man was William Henry Walter Carr #5791 - any sightings of his QSA and KSA?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

1915 Star reunited 7 years 3 weeks ago #52318

• 2li0
Hello Meurig
Yes I do recall that all those years ago, strange how his star has just turned up, It was a member of the medal forum who contacted me, he bought the star many years ago, and was most helpful in letting me have it to reunite, only missing the Victory medal now, pity no service papers are available for him, as for your wants sorry not come across any leads, I have not got his QSA/KSA as found on my data index for known medals,
but don't give up, I am proof they are out there some where.
I did find a nice QSA to the 1st/Volunteer Service Coy, Shropshire L.I., the other day, all the way from Bloemfontein, it arrived after 3 days great postal service, and bought for a reasonable price, not like silly money you have to sometimes have fork out?.
All the best PHIL

1915 Star reunited 7 years 3 weeks ago #52323

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Phil

Not having looked at this man for a while, I checked again for British Army service papers - that I had noted many years I hadn't found. There are WO97 papers for 5791 W Carr and this is not the same as WHW Carr of the SANLC. I have a great set of SA service papers (courtesy of the late Gordon Bickley, what a gent he was) and none of the details match.

His claim to ABW service is repeated many times and consistently on the SA papers - Carr enlisted a number of times during WW1, so his identity is a mystery. However Ancestry turned up a picture of man: mv.ancestry.co.uk/viewer/ad6045b3-d6ef-4.../2018949/-1869462460 , there is also a picture of his wife with their daughter Ada.

Not a bad return for re-visiting research.

Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

1915 Star reunited 7 years 3 weeks ago #52341

• 2li0
That face could tell a few stories Meurig, I bet he had seen some things, regards to Carr 5774 it looks like his papers long gone.
all the best
PHIL

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds