• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507
Source: Page 24
68/SA/1596
PA 10.10.06

G O C in C South Africa reports that Major Twiss, RE, compiled the Queen's medal rolls of the Imperial Military Railways and he used his discretion and local knowledge to exclude the names of certain employees of the IMR from the medal rolls. It is not clear in every case on what grounds his decision was based but no one now in South Africa has sufficient knowledge of the workings of the IMR to warrant an over-ruling of a decision given by him. Suggests reference to Major Twiss.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Imperial Military Railways 12 years 9 months ago #821

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Source: Page 33
68/South Africa/2815
P.A. 22/2/07

Doctor ?. M. Beor, Civil Surgeon, Service February 1902 to November 1902. Refused Queen's South Africa medal.
Dr David Biggins

Re: Imperial Military Railways 11 years 2 months ago #8184

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Source: Page 54
(No references)

On the 26th April 1906 the WO write Major Twiss RE (India) enquiring as to the system of selection of the employees of the Impl Mil Rys and "whether the fact of a Ry employee's name being omitted from the Roll bearing your signature, is to be considered sufficient grounds for his being considered ineligible for the award of the Queen's Medal."

Major Twiss replied on 18th May 1906

"I am unable after this lapse of time to remember the detail of the system on which I based the preparation of the medal rolls of the employees of the IMR.

2. The ever varying and large number of employees on the IMR rendered the compilation of the medal rolls an exceedingly troublesome mater, and though they were very carefully prepared from lists submitted by the various Departments of the Railway and were as complete as circumstances attendant on a long campaign admitted, it was foreseen that in the future applications from men whose names were not on the rolls would inevitably come in.

3. In order to deal with such applications a statement of conditions of eligibility was prepared and to the best of my recollection forwarded to the General Manager CSAR with a copy of the medal rolls.

4. As desired in the last para of your letter under reply I have to state that I consider after this lapse of time no railway employee whose name is not on the rolls prepared by me, should be considered eligible for the award of the Queen's Medal"

Case of Mr M W White in AG 2/M/15471.
Dr David Biggins

Re: Imperial Military Railways 11 years 4 weeks ago #9038

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Source: Page 118
68/South Africa/137/10

Records destroyed by fire.
Dr David Biggins

Re: Imperial Military Railways 11 years 4 weeks ago #9039

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Source: Page 118

Service in this unit did not qualify for the grant of the King's Medal 4-4-17 AG10/859. Case of Guard R G Williams.

See sheet fastened to P46 ante 68/SA/9168.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds