Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

October 21st 7 years 6 months ago #49230

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi everybody
“On this Day : 21 October” has up to now focused on the Battle of Elandslaagte . However, at the same time, but some 650 km north-east of Elandslaagte, there was a small but intense skirmish on the ZAR/Bechuanaland border.
In the week following the first shots of the Boer War (Kraaipan, 12 Oct 1899), the opposing forces in that area (Rhodesia Regiment on the British side and the Zoutpansberg Commando on the Boer side) started taking up positions in the vicinity of Fort Tuli in Southern Rhodesia as well as Pont Drift and Rhodes’ Drift in Northern Bechuanaland. A 2009 publication, “Plumer’s Men” by Robert S Burrell, gives excellent coverage of the various actions/skirmishes fought in the area as well as to the subsequent part played by Col Plumer and the Rhodesia Regt in the Relief of Mafeking.
I quote from the above publication:
“Saturday 21 October 1899 saw some of the most intense fighting to date. Early that morning Capt Blackburn (D Troop) led a mounted patrol along the river towards Pont Drift. Two troopers were left at Rhodes’ Drift while 5 men, under Sgt Maj G A Yonge, travelled slightly inland along the border road taking with them the patrol’s horses. They planned to meet up with the remaining men who were scouting on foot along the thickly wooded banks of the Limpopo.
On that same morning, however, Veldkornet Briel decided that there should be a determined push into Rhodesian territory from Pont Drift to try drive away the Rhodesians who had attacked his watering parties. Accordingly he sent several Boer patrols across the river and one of these ambushed Yonge’s party on the road as it neared Pont Drift. Yonge was killed instantly and the Boers captured most of the horses, several guns and the remaining four troopers – James Forbes, Walter Kelly, Richard Warren and George P Cook. Meanwhile Blackburn and his foot patrol came up on the rear of the Boers and a sharp skirmish ensued. In this action Tpr George H Nethercott was killed and Capt Blackburn was severely wounded.”

I have an ABO medal to a Boer from the Zoutpansberg Commando who specifically mentioned on his Vorm "B" application that he was in action at Pont Drift. One would, however, never know if he was in the scouting party involved with Yonge!!

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

October 21st 7 years 6 months ago #49231

• Henk Loots
Hi David
The "New" site is still very new to me!
Will you please remove the duplicate of Yonge's QSA
and shift his photo to that position
Henk

October 21st 7 years 6 months ago #49236

• Henk Loots
Hi
A boo-boo in my posting : Pont Drift is some 650 km north-west of Elandslaagte!!!
Henk

October 21st 7 years 6 months ago #49246

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
IL's small contribution to "on this day"
QSA clasps "Elandslaagte"/Relief of Ladysmith"/"Belfast", impressed to "2868 Pte. H.D.Houston, Manchester Regt".
Wounded at Elandslaagte and later served with the 4th Provisional Battalion.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, David Grant, Frank Kelley

October 21st 7 years 6 months ago #49273

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
IL's "small" contribution?

Gimme!

Gimme now!

Now, I want it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh bugger, I see after the "new look and feel" to this forum, the green, envious/pig sick, smiley icon thing seems to have disappeared!

LinneyI wrote: IL's small contribution to "on this day"
QSA clasps "Elandslaagte"/Relief of Ladysmith"/"Belfast", impressed to "2868 Pte. H.D.Houston, Manchester Regt".
Wounded at Elandslaagte and later served with the 4th Provisional Battalion.
Regards
IL.

October 21st 7 years 6 months ago #49277

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Frank
"Small" only relates to my posting a very nice QSA; about which I have yet to conduct research. GULP! "Small" cannot of course refer to Pte.Houston's contribution to the Elandslaagte battle. Bad choice of a word. As soon as I had pressed the "submit" button .........
Best regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.802 seconds