Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

January 24th 2 years 3 months ago #80988

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2159
What a medal to commemorate the day with!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 24th 2 years 3 months ago #80989

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello IL.

Taken from the Natal Witness

"Included in the long list of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry who were killed in the fight at Spion Kop was Pte. J. Parry, of the Robinson Gold Mining Co., Johannesburg. Mr. Parry, was was born in Maritzburg in 1864, has been closely identified with both cricket and football, first in Maritzburg, and later on the Rand, for twenty years. The writer(in the "Mercury") first remembers him as a zealous supporter of the Northern Cricket and Football Clubs in the City. In Johannesburg Parry was a tower of strength to the Old Natalians Football Club and the Pirates Cricket Club. As goalkeeper for the Transvaal in the Currie Cup, the late Mr. Parry was known to all lovers of the game. He has been seen on Lord's on three or four occasions taking part in both cricket and football on the Transvaal side. He was exceedingly popular with everyone, and "Jack" as he was familiarly called, has ever been a favourite on the field. He joined the T.M.I. only at the beginning of January, and was killed in the very first battle. The late Pte. J. Parry was a brother to George Parry, of the Star, Field Street, Durban, and it is a strange coincidence that the sorrow of death has befallen both Mr. Haynes and Mr. Parry in this present war."

I can't seem to place where I got the photo from at present

Regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, LinneyI, Moranthorse1

January 24th 2 years 3 months ago #80990

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
IL and ResearchRescue,

A great medal and research for this anniversary day.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: ResearchRescue

January 24th 2 years 3 months ago #81013

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
David, Rory and ResearchRescue
Thanks for your remarks. I have been saving the post on Parry's medal for the appropriate date.
ResearchRescue: A special note of appreciation for the extra info and portrait of Jack Parry. Unfortunately, it is all too rare to be able to link a man's medal with his portrait.
Best regards
IL.

January 24th 2 years 3 months ago #81014

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Hello IL

You are welcome.

Here is a group photo of the Old Natalians Football Club when they won the Transvaal Challenge Cup in 1897 - Goalkeeper J. Parry is second from left -front row.

It would appear they were a very good team as they won the Transvaal Challenge Cup three times in four years.

This an example of a Transvaal Challenge Cup Medallion

Regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

January 24th 2 years 3 months ago #81016

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Wednesday, 24 January

7.15 a.m. Big Ben commenced and sent in 400 lbs. weight of scrap iron before breakfast. One shell bursting in [the] native village killed and wounded 6 native women. Three or four more up to lunch-time and then quiet nearly all the afternoon, finally ending up with one at about 8.30 which passed right over the town and landed at the stadt. As per usual nobody happened to be in the place and not much damage was done.

Last night we replied to their good-night and sent a seven-pounder into their trenches at the back of the brickfields. Very few sniping shots and only 2 or 3 small shells during the day. There is very little small-arm firing by the enemy now, no more volleys at a stray dog or any other moving object, and no volleys at night. They are, I suppose, saving their ammunition.

Two runners came in from the north this morning bringing despatches and letters. They tell us two boys got through past Ramatlabama on Monday morning last; these are supposed to be our boys, Oliphant and his mate. This is good news. They also bring in a lot of messages, one being from Lord Roberts to B.P. congratulating the town on its gallant defence, and hoping that we should be able to hold out a few more weeks, when the aspect of affairs would be changed. It must be already a few weeks since that message left Cape Town, and still no change in our surroundings.

These natives who brought in the news state that there are a lot of troops at Korra Korra. This place is about 25 miles north-west of Mafeking and if the men are there they must be some of Plumer’s contingent, but what they are doing right down there on the edge of the desert is beyond our understanding. The report is not believed.

It is stated that Methuen below Kimberley is now using lyddite with terrible effect. This is all very well but they do not seem to advance to any great extent. There is no doubt the Boers have had the best of us up to now and have fought with a tenacity worthy of a better cause.

The Base Commandant (Colonel Vyvyan) came his rounds this morning (4 a.m. I was on guard at Early’s) in an extra special, double-distilled, good humour, whistling funny little bars of music, composed entirely on his own, and with such a cheery "All correct? Good morning," that we wondered what on earth had occurred, and eventually found out that our gallant little Colonel had with his own hand and unassisted by anyone, captured two fine donkeys, which he said had strayed out from the Boer lines, and from where he had himself driven them in. He secured them at Tighe’s fort until later on he sent a piquet up to bring them into the town. How on earth he got to the outposts whilst doing his morning visiting rounds of the Town Guard is not explained and I think it will be rather a joke against him when it is known that the two said donkeys belonged to a man living quite close to the place, and that they were simply out there foraging for what they could find in the way of grub, as Ryan’s ration of bottle-straw envelopes do not seem to quite satisfy Mr. Donkey, although he is noted for eating up all the old hides, doormats, and scrap iron. Hurrah for the Commandant and his capture of loot! I wonder if he will apply for his half share and continue that tune of his own composition.

Winter’s house was again damaged by shell today. A big one bursting in the garden sent a big piece through the sitting-room into the passage, at the same time knocking away the end of the verandah. Nobody inside.

Our shell factory, I believe, was rather stuck for fuse for their shells, but Lt. Daniels of the artillery has come to the rescue and invented some patent of his own which acts excellently. They say it is very clever and he should get every credit for it, which no doubt he will. The resources of our little dorp have not nearly come to an end yet.

Our new ration list was published yesterday, which from the meat point of view appears as follows:

Sunday Fresh meat
Monday Weil's Road rations
Tuesday Tinned beef
Wednesday Fresh meat again
Thursday Road rations
Friday Tinned beef
Saturday same as Monday

Fresh meat only twice a week. Luck is getting a bit hard on us.

I was permitted this evening to see the correspondence sent in under white flags by Cronje and Snyman to B.P. and also some of the latter’s ever courteous, but ever touched with a vein of sarcasm, replies. The neatness of B.P.’s neatly typewritten letters contrasted very strongly with the dirty, torn, smudged, ill-written, worsely signed, scrap paper stationery used by the enemy. I must send out to Snyman and tell him that this is in our line, and ask him to give me an order to supply the wants of this deficient department of his.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.923 seconds