• Page:

TOPIC:

January 27th 12 years 3 months ago #2126

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1900 - Kimberley siege day 105 (84%). Ladysmith siege day 87 (73%). Mafeking siege day 107 (49%). Alderson occupies Prieska.
1901 - French commences his drive in the E. Transvaal.
1905 - Formation of "Het Volk"

In Kimberley:

I much hope I shall be able under the provisions of a proclamation I have issued this morning to ascertain the numbers of (a) Europeans and Coloured Colonials; (b) Asiatics; (c) Natives, in the town and drawing rations. As stated in my diary of 23rd instant 56,000 are actually drawing rations. Some of these are doubtless drawing in 2 places and I hope to be able to stop this.

I have regulated the scale of rations from Monday next 29th as follows. It is I regret to say a slight reduction but I consider this absolutely necessary in view of the increased numbers.

(a) Europeans and Coloured Colonials
(Boer Meal 6 oz
(Flour 2 oz
or Bread 10 ½ oz
Mealie Meal 2 oz
Samp 1 oz
Sugar 2 oz
Coffee 0 ½ oz
Tea 0 ½ oz

(b) Asiatics
(Boer Meal 6 oz
(Flour 2 oz
or Bread 10 ½ oz
Rice 1 oz
Sugar 2 oz
Coffee 0 ½ oz
Or Tea 0 ¼ oz

(c) Natives
Mealie meal 5 oz
Kaffir corn 4 oz
Samp 1 oz
Sugar 2 oz
Coffee 0 ½ oz
Or Tea 0 ¼ oz

I have made the certificates very stringent, and out extra officials in charge of the checking at the supply depots and stores, and I hope in a few days to get at the correct numbers.

Owing to no forage being available to a large number of horses have been turned out to graze, but many of these have died, and I am afraid the stock of horses for meat has become greatly reduced, - and those that remain are very thin. The Veldt is now improving daily, but it has come on too late to be of much use. The mules are doing well; they manage to thrive where horses can find nothing to graze on.

Signals from the town to the enemy were again being made last night. The man doing it was holding a light against the iron fan of a high windmill, and the enemy’s answer signal was observed. Although great care was taken we failed to catch the offender.

During the afternoon relief column shells were seen bursting near Margetsfontein.

Major Fraser reports from Beaconsfield that at about 11.30 am a large number of cattle were being driven rapidly from Scholtz Fort to Olifantsfontein.

I sent the following messages by helio and search light :

“From OC Troops, to D Sig. Jan 27th No 142. In reply yours this date approve regular night work ceasing eleven oc, but important watch be kept for signals after work ceases.”

“From Kekewich to Genl Methuen. Jan 27 No 143. Enemy very busy constructing many new works altogether out of range our seven pounders. Stop. Enemy’s guns will reach centre town from these new positions. Stop. Cannot say whether these positions alternative ones or intended for additional guns on way to Kimberley.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Jan 27 No 144. Englishman arrived here from VAAL river yesterday states whilst hiding 25th inst near Kilpdam I saw many detachments Boers driving cattle small stock north, also whilst on journey here observed Boers shot all horses cattle unable to keep pace with herds. His inference Boer forces are retiring North. My opinion however animals shot to prevent same being driven to Kimberley, also that Boer retirement not yet imminent as strategic move.”

I had much difficulty in regulating the issue of medical comforts. I took over certain small stocks of groceries, etc on the railway consigned to stations north, and certain other stocks from merchants here; I am glad I did so as their issue to the sick now prevents much suffering and hardship. Anything outside the ration laid down for the inhabitants civil and military is now a medical comfort, and can only be issued on a medical certificate. Some doctors exercise great care in issuing them, while others appear careless, and grant them in cases taking into consideration the small stock available should not be granted a medical certificate. It is a hard position to put a medical man in, as if he refuses the certificate, the person concerned can go to another doctor who is not so careful, and he may grant the certificate. I know of several instances in which this has occurred.

All doctors have been cautioned as to the smallness of stocks available, and only one medical comfort is allowed for a patient except in very special cases.

The arrangements for milk for the sick and infants are working well. Dr Stoney Med Officer of Health has taken much trouble in the matter. I give him 96 tins of condensed milk dails (all I can spare), and he gets nearly 200 bottles daily sent to his milk depot by kind people in the town; from there it is distributed under medical certificate.

The enemy appears busy improving his many works round the town. They are out of effective range of my seven pounders and I have not sufficient ammunition left to make it hot for them all. I hope shortly when sufficient shells for the De Beers 28 pounder have been cast to be able to make it a bit uncomfortable for them.

Over 90 shells will be ready from to-morrow, and De Beers hope to be able to turn out about 25 a day.

In Ladysmith:

I was again on Observation Hill, watching. Nothing had changed, and there was no sign of movement. The Boers rode to and fro as usual, and their cattle grazed in scattered herds. Now and then a big gun fired, but I could see no bursting shells, and the sound seemed further away. I crossed the broad valley to Leicester Post. Our cattle and horses were trying to pick up a little grass there, while the howitzer and automatic "pom-pom" shelled them from Surprise Hill. "Pom-poms" are elegant little shells, about five inches long, and some with pointed heads were designed for the British Navy, but rejected. The cattle sniff at them inquisitively, and Kaffirs rush for a perfect specimen, which fetches from 10s. to 30s. For they are suitable presents for ladies, but unhappily all that fell near me to-day exploded into fragments.

The telescope on Leicester Post showed me nothing new. Not a single man was now to be seen on Spion Kop or the rest of Taba Nyama. At two o'clock the evil news reached us. The heliograph briefly told the story; the central hill captured by the British on Wednesday afternoon, recaptured at night by the Boers, and held by them ever since. Our loss about five hundred and some prisoners.

It was the worst news we have yet received, all the harder to bear because our hopes had been raised to confidence. It is harder to face disappointment now than six weeks ago. Even on biscuit and trek-oxen we can only live for thirty-two days longer, and nearly all the horses must die. The worst is that in their sickness and pain the men could hardly resist another assault. The sickness of the garrison is not to be measured by hospital returns, for nearly every one on duty is ill, though he may refuse to "go sick." The record of Intombi Camp is not cheering. The total of military sick to-day is 1,861, including 828 cases of enteric, 259 cases of dysentery, and 312 wounded. The numbers have slightly diminished lately because an average of fourteen a day have been dying, and all convalescents are hurried back to Ladysmith. The number of graves down there now is 282 for men and five for officers, but deaths increase so fast that long trenches are dug, and the bodies laid in two rows, one above the other. "You see," said the gravedigger, "I'm goin' to put Patrick O'Connor here with Daniel Murphy."

In Mafeking:

During my return from my morning ride the big gun fired, and I saw the shell burst somewhat short of the women's laager. I naturally supposed this was an accident. It was not, however, the case. The big gun commenced a rapid fire in the same direction, and the effects of the shells as they fell were heliographed back from the western heights. The messages were intercepted by our signallers, under Sergeant Moffat. They placed eight large shells in and close round the laager, and we now understood the reason for the Dutch women taking the cover they did. It was a most deliberate piece of barbarism; mercifully, there were no casualties.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

January 27th 8 years 3 months ago #45020

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, January 1900:

I am simply astounded at the ruin and desolation, our defenders who can not defend us, are allowed to wreak on the town in general, and my own place in particular. And this is martial law! I hardly know my own garden. This is horrible! From the enemy it might have been endurable. I have neither heart, time, nor bodily strength, to attempt to repair the ravages. It took me from 1864 till now, to make my garden what it was. It was my hobby, and now it is a wreck. As Byron wrote.

“Such is the aspect of this shore;
‘Tis Greece, but living Greece no more.”

And I am like Marius amidst the ruins of Carthage. And Buller will be made a lord, and the others will get medals and crosses, stars and garters, for their glorious achievements, although they have achieved nothing. I think it is the Tommies who ought to have the rewards. —- No shells in town today, or yesterday. —- A few shot from our batteries. — It is said Buller was burned in effigy, in England, they heard of his losing ten guns about December 201899. As I have said before, Buller has to fight for every foot of ground. The country is full of strong positions, and when beaten at one place, the rebels coolly retire to their next stronghold. What is the poor man to do! If his men come to close quarters with the enemy, he will surely lose some of them, and this, the Queen objects to. Night attacks, and cold steel, would solve this difficulty. No troops can shoot well in the dark, but the bayonet is deadly at all times. — 4 p.m. The rebels have not gone yet. Two shells have just landed in the town. They are coming thick. —My place is a horrible wreck, and can not be made much more unsightly than it is, but still there are a few big trees left. That commissariat man, Purvis, is not likely to leave them many days. There is much indignation at the manner in which the whole town has been treated by the military powers, during the war. As I said before, Martial law may be necessary, but it is a villainous tyranny all the same, and puts one’s loyalty to a severe test. — Buller took two of the rebel’s strongholds, on Thursday, and was driven from them again, the same night. We lost 500 men killed and wounded, and the rebels lost enormously — perhaps.
Dr David Biggins

January 27th 7 years 3 months ago #51631

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

The end of the week has come, but Buller hasn’t. In fact, we know very little more of his movements than we did a week ago, as he sends in no news, and all we hear are vague reports from Kaffirs. We all thought, after four days’ tremendous firing within sight and sound, that Buller really was coming in, and now for three days absolutely nothing seems to have happened. Both yesterday and today have been cold, drizzly, Scotch mist sort of days, so that there is no long distance signalling, and one feels much depressed, and can only pray for a speedy end of the whole business.

Later: - It has cleared up, and is now bright and sunny. I have just seen English papers of about the middle of December at the Intelligence Office, and I must say they are not very cheerful reading. The one bright spot is the Indian contingent, and the way in which it was equipped by the Indian Government.
Dr David Biggins

January 27th 7 years 3 months ago #51632

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Passed a ratty night, back and stomach being so sore could not rest anyway. Feel pains too in bones similar to those I had with influenza last year. Afraid I am in for enteric, though, fortunately in a mild form. Still fed on Carbolic “milk” food, tea in the evening. I am booked for Intomba tomorrow. Feel unhappy about it. Another restless night. Heavy thunderstorm and rainy.
Dr David Biggins

January 27th 7 years 3 months ago #51634

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Today quiet again. Just a stray shell or two. None from Long Tom on the Umbulwana. As I was coming down from Hospital this morning, one came from the direction of Surprise Hill and struck and burst on the Hill opposite (Wagon Hill). Only the one. I don't know what they fired at. Bert and I went for a ride a few days ago and he took me to where the Artillery stood on the day of the Battle of Wagon Hill, just over the Red Hill. The ground was literally ploughed by the shells. Two big graves are there where four of the Artillery horses were killed. There was a good deal of firing of musketry during the night, but no one seems to know this morning what it was except the pickets firing at each other. In the dead of night I stood on the verandah and listened. It seemed to be on all sides. I couldn't realize standing there, everything peaceful, men sleeping all round, that perhaps they were fighting, shooting each other down. These are wonderful times. Captain Adams passed me on my way down this morning and told me the General had news in, that on the day at the beginning of the week of the heavy shelling in the distance, the Boers lost over two thousand men and we eight hundred. What a lot of sore hearts there will be.
Dr David Biggins

January 27th 7 years 3 months ago #51638

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
General illness and being unwell were an almost daily occurrence for so many whilst actually being on duty, it is a most interesting aspect of the campaign in Natal which is only very seldom mentioned.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Passed a ratty night, back and stomach being so sore could not rest anyway. Feel pains too in bones similar to those I had with influenza last year. Afraid I am in for enteric, though, fortunately in a mild form. Still fed on Carbolic “milk” food, tea in the evening. I am booked for Intomba tomorrow. Feel unhappy about it. Another restless night. Heavy thunderstorm and rainy.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.915 seconds