• Page:

TOPIC:

February 9th 12 years 3 months ago #2242

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1900 - Kimberley siege day 56 (45%). Ladysmith siege day 38 (31%). Mafeking siege day 58 (26%).
1909 - Publication of draft Constitution for South African colonies.

In Kimberley:

Enemy opened fire with their six inch gun from Kampersdam at 5.45 am.

74 shells were fired during the day at the town by the 6 inch gun and 55 from other guns at Carter’s ridge, etc.

A very distressing day; inhabitants much unnerved and great difficulty of even supplying them with food.

In the afternoon George Labram Chief Engineer of De Beers who has done so very much for us was killed by a shell when in his room at the Queens Hotel. His death has cast a gloom over the whole town. Nothing could have hit me harder than his death. Lord Roberts sent message during the day from Modder River telling me to do my best to keep things going for a few days longer and saying that

The following messages were sent and received to-day:

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 9th No 189. Yesterday’s news enemy continued bombardment of town with siege and other guns. Casualties Sarson a barman killed. Mrs Buffin and child Miss Broderick Carstairs Rogers architect and Anderson civilian wounded. Cuthbert’s store set on fire, several other buildings much damaged.”

“From Kekewich to Genl Methuen. Feb 9th 9 am No 190. Enemy recommenced bombardment of town with siege and other guns 6 am. One shell fell into Diamond market where large numbers of refugees housed. Dutch woman alone injured. Enemy is apparently attempting destruction our supply stores. Cuthberts store near one of our supply stores set on fire by shell yesterday.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 9th No 191. “ as to water.

“Kekewich to General Methuen. Feb 9th 10 am No 192. Mayor of Kimberley just interviewed me says great pressure being brought to bear on him by Rhodes other leading citizens to call meeting to represent seriousness of situation, here to FM. Have strongly represented meeting at this time might be disastrous to our interests, as would become known to Boers at once. No doubt Enemy’s siege gun has heightened tension and I fear it will be extremely difficult to resist pressure large section public many more days.”

“From Int Kb to Director Mily Int MD. Feb 9th No 193. Your 966 Feb 8th. Interviewed two white men to-day both have undertaken go into Boer lines independently to-night. Fear chances their reaching Mud River small. Lately great difficulty experienced getting natives through Boer lines but sending out six for Mud River to-night. De Beers also sending others.”

Fen 9th 4 pm 194. FM’s this date received, will do my best but fear will have great difficulty restraining Rhodes, and others from precipitating matters. Rhodes informed me to-day he would call meeting two days time unless definite information column movements given him. Can forbid meeting but difficulty is preventing same his influence is so great. He is quite unreasonable. Shelling here severe and causing great alarm. Sixty six shell fired already to-day.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 9 No 195 appears to be marked increase numbers investing Kimberley. Boers have also during past two days commenced throwing up line trenches, etc East and nearly parallel to frontier four thousand yards from Premier Mine.

During the day our 2 guns at the Premier Mine and 2 of the DFA engaged enemy all day in their position near Barney Martins, and I think caused them much uneasiness.

Late in the afternoon a good deal of dust was seen in the country between Scholtz Nek and Alexandersfontein; but it could not be made out for certain if it was caused by driven horses or cattle or mounted Boers.

In Mafeking:

A runner from the south arrived, informing us of Buller's crossing the Tugela. Comparing this news with the Boer accounts of British defeats with heavy losses on the 24th, south of Tugela, one can only conclude that they must indeed be in a bad plight when they can invent such amazingly circumstantial and appalling lies. However, I hope we are nearing the end of the last act, and " God Save the Queen." They have been quiet to-day, and as far as we know, no funerals to occupy them so hope and trust that they are digesting some bad news; the Kaffir who brought the messages states that the Free Staters have had enough of it, but that Cronje will not allow them to surrender, as they had everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain; we can well believe it. The Kimberley correspondence is of a chatty description, refers to the weather and papers (which have not arrived), but the gist of the whole is cheerful and consequently welcome, though we should prefer news. Their food supply seems good, which is consoling. But this much is certain, that if we have to hold out another four months, the means of our doing so, in the supply line, is due to the presence of Mr. B. "Weil. I wonder whether it is appreciated, even yet at home, what a stupendous and monumental liar the Boer is. The Kaffir says what he thinks you will like. The Boer, however, says what he knows he likes himself, I hope some day to read a British account of the war. The Boer account would pain me if I believed it.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 9th 8 years 3 months ago #45166

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

2 a.m. A shell lighted in the doorway of my kitchen, making a hole big enough to bury a horse in. — Fighting all day in the distance. — This is the fifth day’s fight.
Dr David Biggins

February 9th 7 years 3 months ago #51883

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

After 3 or 4 hours torture with mosquitos, was startled by the report of a shell from “Long Tom” at 1.30 a.m., followed by 3 others. One burst in the ground immediately in rear of us. Happily none of us were hurt. Not only will our health be ruined but our nerves will be absolutely destroyed. Rations - plate of mealie meal porridge with tea, spoonful sugar, slice bread and tea for breakfast, Chevril soup (made from horse flesh) and slice bread and tea for dinner, soup bread and tea for supper and tot of rum highly diluted. Had a good night. Looked up Dr. Anderson, who wondered what had become of me.
Dr David Biggins

February 9th 7 years 3 months ago #51884

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

This is the hundredth day of our Siege. I don't know whether it was in memory of it that the Boers gave us a surprise in the night in the shape of half a dozen shells. It was certainly not pleasant as some of them came unpleasantly near here. They began about one o'clock this morning. Silent Susan and Slim Piet were busy this afternoon. I have heard of no damage though. Is Buller never coming I wonder? There has been no firing in that direction today. I should think they would require a good rest after their four days of fighting.

Our rations are again cut down today, so that looks as though they were not expecting him for some time.

It is most distressing to see "Tommy" looking so hungry and 'weak. One of them came today and asked for any scraps of bread to be saved for him.
Dr David Biggins

February 9th 7 years 3 months ago #51887

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good heavens, how awful, I dare say if that happened these days and you rang your insurer, you would told to read the terms and conditions as to an act of, or state of, actual warfare and doubtless not receive a single penny.

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

2 a.m. A shell lighted in the doorway of my kitchen, making a hole big enough to bury a horse in. — Fighting all day in the distance. — This is the fifth day’s fight.

February 9th 6 years 2 months ago #57532

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

No news, all same. A few shots from guns all round.

Sick slightly improved. Deglon laid up with fever, went to Hospital. Got messenger in with Maritzburg letters dated 31st ulto. Rations again reduced.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.782 seconds