February 9th 2 years 3 months ago #81472

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4543
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Friday, 9 February

Enemy only sent us three big ones today, one in morning, one midday, and one at 9 p.m., none of them doing any particular damage. The 5-pounder has also been worrying us slightly, sending in a total of 8 or 9 during the day. Just after the last big shell, Mausers came flying all over us in the usual way, and our Maxim at De Kock’s corner replied, aiming at the flash of their rifles. Did not last very long tonight - the Boers seem to be getting rather sick of this give and take sort of game. Either that or else their ammunition is not so plentiful as it used to be. It is also rumoured (from native sources) that there is a great deal of dissension amongst the Boers surrounding us. Hope so, as it may make it a bit easier for us.

Bad news from the inner circle today: bread is going to be reduced from tomorrow to 6oz. per man per diem, women 3oz., children 1 1/2oz. This is hard on the kiddies, as they eat almost as much bread as the men do and they cannot manage the bully beef. As far as our own bread ration goes, unless very careful we find it all finished for breakfast. In cubic measurement it is about 5in. by 2 by 1.

The natives are beginning to look a bit dicky on their 1/2lb meal per day, and as for our dogs, well they are just bags of bones. Unless I am soon able to get them something I shall feel inclined to shoot my two pointers, as I cannot see them starve to death.

I am extremely sorry to hear that one of our main hospital necessaries has run out, viz., cotton-wool, an item which is so absolutely required, and unless they are successful in cleansing and purifying wool straight from tire sheep, two or three bales of which have been found at the station, I understand the want will be so imperative that the doctor will be compelled to send out to Snyman for some. The last resort of the P.M.O. has been to go round to the chemist shops and annex all their stock of L.’s S. T.'s, pick them to pieces, and use the padding they contain. This is a most unfortunate occurrence, but no blame can be attached to anybody except the railway people for not delivering the Government hospital materials before we were cut off. The goods even at the commencement were very long overdue.

Some of the garrison officers are giving a dance tomorrow evening (Saturday) in the Masonic Hall. It is considered by most people to be a very dangerous undertaking, not on account so much for the men, who are supposed to take care of themselves, but the responsibility of congregating together a number of ladies. If the Boers get knowledge of it, and it is more than likely they will, it is 50 to 1 they will fire their big gun and endeavour to plant a 94-pounder into the building, and, if they should unluckily get one there it will be a lamentably serious calamity. I wonder B.P. does not put his veto on the matter.

There is a nasty rumour going about town today, the origin of which cannot be traced, that Ladysmith is in the hands of the enemy. There is not the slightest credence given to the truth of this, and it is thought that the originator of these pessimistic and discouraging ideas should be tracked down and court-martialled, as everything possible should be done to keep up the spirits of the garrison, especially the ladies; as this thing cannot last for ever, and we must hold out at any price.

A strong guard of C.P., etc., has now been placed round the women’s (where there are a few Dutch vrows) and the refugee laagers, which will no doubt go a long way towards stopping the information, which there is no doubt is being continually carried out to the enemy. Passes are also being issued to native servants, countersigned by their employers, without which no boy is allowed to come into the town; this will also tend toward the desired end re spies.

It is again considered that the enemy have removed their Krupp 12pounder and the 1 -pound Maxim, as neither have been heard for some days past; whether north or south is unknown.

We were in a manner somewhat disappointed today at the news that Warren was working in conjunction with Buller in Natal, as we understood he was at Modder River with Lord Methuen (this I believe was published by the staff) and that he would bring our relief up from the south. How many more disappointments are we doomed to undergo, and where, oh where is our relief to come from? I suppose it will be by the British army marching into the Transvaal, and thereby drawing off the enemy’s forces now attacking us. Or is it possible Lord Roberts thinks that Plumer will be able to get through to us and keep the line open north? Conjectures are useless, ideas and opinions all busted up, statements from whatever source unbelieved, or taken with a whole sackful of salt, surrounded with tons of fiction, but facts are [an] unknown quantity, getting gradually stone broke, dying for a drop of whisky, just managing to fill one’s back hollow tooth with our 602. ration of bread, but still with unshaken and unwavering faith in God and Lord Roberts. We sit and listen to the enemy’s "made in Germany” ammunition being continually hurled at us, sometimes even plucking up courage enough to raise the man opposite five, ten, or fifteen better, (when holding four of a kind).
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds