TOPIC:

February 12th 12 years 1 month ago #2270

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 121 (97%). Ladysmith siege day 103 (86%). Mafeking siege day 123 (56%). French occupies De Kiel's Drift. Roberts at Ramdam. De la Rey's attack at Colesberg repulsed. Plumer makes unsuccessful night attack on Boers near Crocodile Pools.
1901 - Plumer gains contact with de Wet.
1902 - Mishap to 28th Co MI at Klip River.

In Kimberley:

Enemy opened this morning from Wimbledon ridge, Kampersdam, Carter’s ridge, Diebels Vlei and Felstead: at about 5 am this morning about 100 men were seen entrenching themselves at the latter place; no enemy’s gun has fired from there for the last 6 weeks. It is I expect brought there to annoy the cattle guard. I could see no special movement of the enemy this morning and it was wonderfully clear. During the night enemy’s fire balloons were seen at intervals at Susanna and near Wimbledon ridge.

Enemy fired with the 6 inch gun during the morning principally at Kenilworth, and 4 houses were destroyed by fire. They appear to using smaller charges of powder. All are working hard to make the women and children who have gone down the mine as comfortable as possible. It must be a dreadful experience for them.

To-day was record day for Soup Kitchen. In all about 11000 pints were made during the day. I really do not know how the feeding of people could have been arranged without it.

This continual shelling upsets everything and I fear it will mean loss of rations daily. As the inhabitants cannot draw their supplies on their food permits and have to be given extra food. When they do come with their food permits it will be impossible to ascertain what they have already had, and the full amounts will have to given to them.

Small column of smoke were seen during the day beyond Scholtz Nek, and some few loaded waggons moving in the Olifantsfontein direction from Spitz Kof. About 6 waggons were seen also a few small parties of mounted men moving from Spyfontein in the direction of Marais farm.

Otherwise there were no indications of any special movement on the part of the enemy. It is certainly the first time we have seen loaded waggons moving in the direction of Olifantsfontein.

The enemy’s 6 inch gun at Kampersdam fired 46 shell to-day. It is marvellous there were no casualties and no fires.

In the evening they were evidently aiming at the Conning Tower and only missed it several times by a few yards.

A party of 30 men and a maxim were out at the White Dam at the homestead all day sniping at the enemy’s gunners. It is wonderful nobody has been hit so far. There were some very narrow shaves to-day, bullets passing through one men’s hat and another’s sleeve. The enemy had a large number of rifle men firing all day at our snipers from trenches at the foot of Kampersdam.

There was no helio communication and the following messges were sent by searchlight this evening.

“From Kekewich to Ch of Staff. Feb 12th 9 am 209. Last night enemy sent up signal balloons from Wimbledon ridge and Susanna at frequent intervals. About 6 am enemy opened fire with field guns from Wimbledon ridge, Carter’s ridge and Felstead at our cattle guards and defences. At 7am enemy’s siege gun opened on town. No movements of enemy seen or reported.”

“From Int Kb to Int MD. Feb 12 No 210. Native who left neighbourhood of Vryburg 11th arrived Kimberley Jan 27th was made prisoner by Boers, West of Town escaped night Feb 10th sta states Boers have frequently talked of attacking Kimberley, but their hope rather place will surrender.

Transvaalers and Freestaters quarrelling as to which Republic will take over pace. Boers so confident place must fall families in many cases are in Laagers in Kimberley. Boers realise relief Kimberley means eventual defeat Republics. Boers are short of food except meal also deficient in horses. Condition latter poor. Portion Lictenburg commando one thousand men near Peddiefontein possesses only three hundred horses. Hundred waggons said to be collected West of Peddiefontein homestead. Commandeering was in progress in Vryburg Dist first week January, including weak, sickly aged, only two hundred men collected. Overheard in Boer Camp six thousand men being collected at some point in Griqualand West destination commando Victoria West object interruption railway communication also distribution arms to and commandeering by disloyal Dutch Western Provinces.

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 12th 9 pm No 211. Unusual movement waggons, carts, mounted men from Spytfontein hills towards Koodoos Dam hills observed this afternoon. Look-outs unable to estimate numbers route followed by enemy too distant from here.

The following was the only message received from the relief column during the night.

“From Int MD to Int KB. Feb 12 No I 97 which is easiest line approach on Kimberley from –

At that point in this direction could enemy occupy entrenched position to resist our advance. Could this be done at Olifantsfontein and NE Topographical details required this district.

In Mafeking:

At dawn this morning I went to Ellis's corner, as heavy firing was going on in that direction. The five-pounder was firing at Currie's post and the Cape Police, from the Boer main trench at under two hundred yards. Their quick firer and one-pound Maxim were also doing so. The big gun seemed anxious to participate, and was elevated several times, but owing to the Boer trench being immediately in the line of fire did not venture to. Things slackened somewhat at half-past six, and I went for a ride round the western side where a few odd shots were being fired, but nothing was going on. About half-past eight the big gun commenced firing at Cannon Kopje, and after half a dozen shots transferred her attentions to the town, mainly bursting in fairly close proximity to this dug-out, but so far no damage to my knowledge. This afternoon I take up my residence at Cannon Kopje for a bit.

When I had finished the last paragraph I left my dug-out and went to lunch, and as I walked to the hotel, heard a single shot, of which I naturally took no notice. An hour afterwards I heard that it had claimed its victim in Captain R. Girdwood, late 3rd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, assistant commissariat officer here, who was mortally wounded. To the garrison and all who knew him the blow was severe. Throughout the whole siege he was always laughing and joking, and nothing ever subdued his never-failing cheerfulness: to meet him was a regular tonic if liver or temper were at fault. The duty he did in assisting Captain Ryan to regulate the supplies of food and stores was invaluable, and Colonel Baden-Powell in his general order literally expressed the great regret and sympathy felt for his wife. In the evening I went up to the kopje, and am for a time attached to the B. S. A. P. Prior to my departure they gave us a good doing in the town, both musketry and shell fire.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 12th 8 years 1 month ago #45183

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Noon, a few shells. — The last news from Buller, is that all is satisfactory. That’s more than our scanty rations are, anyhow.—A few shells at sunset.
Dr David Biggins

February 12th 7 years 1 month ago #51932

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Glad for daylight. Suffering the pangs of hunger. At 7.30 was served out with day’s rations which was the same as yesterday with the addition of the soup meat, of which I ate too liberally, the consequence being that I not only lost it again but the bread also. Went down to Dr. Anderson and remained until 5 o’clock, after which visited the Convalescent Home, and there was lucky enough to get a slice of bread, half of which I devoured. The remainder I put in my pocket as a reserve. Also had the scrapings of a saucepan where some hard biscuits had been recooked, almost a saucer full, so left feeling comparatively full. I then went over to Mrs. Hayden’s, spending the evening with Norton Smith and others. Had a rubber of whist and gleaned cheery news from all round. Mrs. Hayden was so elated that she opened a tin of condensed milk which had been kept as a reserve for an emergency, and gave us a delicious cup of coffee. A bottle of champagne in the Desert could not have been more acceptable than that previous delicacy. Norton Smith gave me a piece of bread and a few pieces of broken biscuits, and just as I was taking leave Mrs. Hayden gave me 1/4 tobacco tin of peach jam. How carefully I carried it, occasionally stopping to raise the lid for fear of a leakage. It is a pitiful sight to see the poor half starved men, both military and volunteers, prowling about seeking anything in the shape of food which money at present won’t buy. Many are beyond the walking stage, simply dragging along. I don’t know how the majority will get out of the place even when relief comes to hand. They certainly will not be in a condition to march the 18 miles to Colenso, the present railway terminus, before at least 3 weeks good feeding. Horses too are being killed daily to keep them from dying of starvation. The only food they get is the limited grazing within 2 miles radius of the town.

We suffered a great disappointment this morning. Lieut. Sparks, Ladysmith Squad, N.C., came up to tell us that all our letters were lost. The runner, who had already passed the Dutch lines, thought he was perfectly safe, slung the bundle containing some 500 missives, when about 20 Boers rose out of the grass and poured in a volley, wounding him in several places. He was cute enough to roll into a donga and crawled over to our picquets.
Dr David Biggins

February 12th 7 years 1 month ago #51933

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

It has been a fearful day in many ways. This morning we had two shells very hear the hospital, one just overhead and the other just in the next erf, sending a shower of stones up, some of which fell on our roof and back verandah. One I picked up and put in my apron pocket.

Major Duffton has had his arm taken off successfully, and the most wonderful thing is, his wife got through the Boer lines, or rather was brought through by them, arrived here a couple of hours before the operation. She says their kindness was unequalled all through. Nurse Bradbury came down and assisted at the operation and later in the evening to change his bed etc.

I do hope the dear old man will recover now. Mrs. Duffton came as far as Chieveley by train, then the Boers brought her in an Ambulance Wagon as far as our line, where she was met by Major Karri Davis and Dr. Rogers. A shell burst in the I.L.H. Camp today and hit a man, Johnstone by name, in the back. He bled profusely, but it is not dangerous I hear.
Dr David Biggins

February 12th 7 years 1 month ago #51939

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I really do feel for Messrs Watson & Crosby and poor Miss Craw, I have the benefit of hindsight, they did not, I dare say they came very close to almost giving up hope on occasion, truly appalling to be stuck in that wretched town.

February 12th 7 years 1 month ago #51945

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
It must indeed have been a dreadful time for all the people (and animals) besieged in Ladysmith.

I remember that it was pointed out to me that the 'postmen' of Ladysmith did their dangerous job for money, but they must nevertheless have been brave men to even attempt to penetrate the Boer lines. If caught, there was no trial and no POW camp for them, just summary execution by bullet.

Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds