• Page:

TOPIC:

February 16th 12 years 2 months ago #2298

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
1900 - Ladysmith siege day 107 (89%). Mafeking siege day 127 (58%). Cronje evacuates position at Magersfontein. Boer rearguard actions at Drieputs and Dronfield.
1901 - French occupies Piet Retief.

In Kimberley:

Started at 4 am with General French and 2 cavalry Brigades and proceeded by Websters, Felstead, and MacFarlanes siding; a very hard day, and nothing to eat and little to drink, and was much knocked up. The enemy occupied Dronfield and MacFarlanes siding, they were driven out of the latter place, and late in the evening evacuated the latter place. It was a very disappointing day as it took a lot out of the horses and hardly any of the enemy’s waggons were cut off and the 6 inch gun was not seen.

Heard during the day that enemy had evacuated Kampersdam and the Intermediate Pumping Station which were occupied by the force under Col Murray – a quantity of ammunition and stores being taken.

In Mafeking:

I rode up to Major Godley's and had the "31st of November" cast in my teeth once more (since corrected). The big gun fired twenty-eight shots at the stadt and women's laager. From Cannon Kopje there is twenty-three-and-a-half seconds between the smoke from her muzzle and the report, which makes her a matter of nine thousand yards away, and about the same from the centre of the town which she cannot now properly reach, and to strike which at all, she is elevated apparently at right angles. She devoted several shells to McKenzie's western shelter trenches, doing no harm, however. Her change of position must have been another deliberate atrocity on the part of the Boers, for which I trust their Commander will be strictly called to account. There can be no immediate effect expected on the defences or ultimate resistance of Mafeking by the deliberate bombardment of women and children, black or white. And he who sows the storm may reap the whirlwind, for the blacks neither forget nor forgive, and this is one more, and by no means the least, tally in a long score. Now, as regards the position of the Baralongs and our other native residents.

At the outbreak of the war, the Boers flooded the town with all the refugee Kaffirs from Johannesburg and other parts of the Transvaal, who happened to be in our vicinity, hoping either on the capture of the town, which they confidently anticipated, to secure a good labour market, or, in the event of an unexpectedly protracted resistance, to exercise through these additional mouths, a severe pressure on our food supplies, and thus indirectly on our length of defence. They carefully, however, first robbed them of all their money. Now, picking a Kaffir's pocket, or wherever he may carry his money, ranks about as high in the code of honour, as stealing coppers from a blind man's plate. I am not sure whether it is a transgression ot the Law of Nations, but as by the time this diary is read the Boer will not be, as lie certainly never ought to have been, a nation, it is of small moment, but the act of robbery distinctly took place. The Baralongs were assured by both sides that the war was between two white races, and that they had no cause to interfere. We went even further, and refused to allow them to assist us. However, when the Baralong had seen his cattle raided, his kraals burnt, and himself bombarded, he, somewhat of a rhetorician, but lacking perhaps in the logical capacity for distinguishing between " a military operation " and "an act of war," decided that the Boers' application of the former to his property was good enough excuse for him to indulge in the latter to prevent a further application, he accordingly, in his childlike manner, invited the Boers to enter his stadt, and shot several of them when they tried to. Recently, too, the Boers made overtures to secure the Baralong assistance, and the Chief, Wessels, said he must think it over; after long deliberation he declined. It was probably in order to punish them for this lack of readiness to support them, that the Boers so slated the stadt. However this may be, the Baralongs and other natives have loyally and consistently supported us, and deserve ample compensation for the hardships, privations, and losses which they have sustained. All day the Boers have been making feeble attempts on McKenzie's outpost; and at night, seated at the kopje, one could see a circle of fire running all round the outposts. On the eastern side, our Maxim in the brickfields, our seven-pounder and their five-pounder and many rifles were flashing in the darkness; in the distance Fort Ayr was warmly engaged, while to support McKenzie in our immediate proximity, the armoured train was creaking and groaning up the grass-grown line. And nothing perhaps brings home our isolation so much, as to see the rails overgrown with grass, and reflect that this is a main line to England. Owing to the custom of the Boer of elevating the muzzle of his rifle over the parapet and firing in the air, bullets were whistling and falling all round us on the kopje all night, which, as we were a mile from, and two hundred feet higher than, the trench they were firing at, argued poor marksmanship on their part. However, we were all fairly safe, and the Boer presumably quite so, and as he made plenty of noise I suppose everybody was satisfied.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 16th 8 years 2 months ago #45276

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

A few shells this morning. More at noon. Sometime since, the pickets returned to camp, very wet. The order was passed for them to change their shirts, “But Sir,” expostulated the sergeant, “the men have no clothes but those they stand in.” “I can not help that,” replied the officer, “the order is they are to change their shirts. Let them change with each other.” The cheaper sort of clothing in the shops, has long since been requisitioned for the soldiers. We shall soon be reduced to a coat of blue paint such as our ancestors, the ancient Britons used to wear.
Dr David Biggins

February 16th 7 years 2 months ago #51985

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Turned out at 6 o’clock. After drawing rations, which takes up a lot of time, there being so many men, I got through my limited breakfast and went to town as usual. The scorching heat following a month’s drought, makes it almost unbearable. Just heard that a l/41b. tin of Navy Cut tobacco fetched 4.s.0 sterling. Everyone is in praise of Col. Rhodes, who has during this siege been most self denying in his efforts to assist the wounded and sick. Everything in the way of eating and drinking luxuries he has given away. There are many others deserving of special recognition after the affair is over, amongst whom are Lieut. David Sparks and Surg. Currie (of Johannesburg) who is attached to our regiment. Both of these men have worked night and day in looking after and obtaining things for the sick etc. The latter I regret is down with enteric. I do hope our fellows will shew their appreciation at the proper time. We are all much elated over the cheerful news that Kimberley has been relieved and Lord Robert’s success in the O.F.State. More hopeful than ever of our being relieved soon. Afraid poor Kitty has been slaughtered with 50 other of our horses for food. Shall be very sorry as I would have liked to have kept her after the campaign, being a splendid trap horse. Haydens after tea. James (Times’ correspondent) and Mr. McCormick (Graphic Artist) with two or three others tried to play cricket but only stuck it for 10 minutes. I don’t think there is 10% of the men could walk a distance of 6 miles for the biggest wager ever offered. Fortunately, our fortifications are perfect, otherwise we could never offer resistance against another attack. Crawled home about half past ten dead tired.
Dr David Biggins

February 16th 7 years 2 months ago #51986

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Three shells aimed at the hospital just passed over the roof and fell in the road behind sending a shower of stones round us and on the verandah. This happened at noon today. When they come so near and you realize what it would be if it struck the building. We hear good news of Lord Robert's Column tonight. That they have taken three laagers and some stores (wish we had some of them) and are advancing on Bloemfontein.
Dr David Biggins

February 16th 7 years 2 months ago #51988

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
These entries never fail to make me realise just how hard times were for the vast majority of people stuck in the town during the siege.

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

A few shells this morning. More at noon. Sometime since, the pickets returned to camp, very wet. The order was passed for them to change their shirts, “But Sir,” expostulated the sergeant, “the men have no clothes but those they stand in.” “I can not help that,” replied the officer, “the order is they are to change their shirts. Let them change with each other.” The cheaper sort of clothing in the shops, has long since been requisitioned for the soldiers. We shall soon be reduced to a coat of blue paint such as our ancestors, the ancient Britons used to wear.

February 16th 7 years 2 months ago #51989

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Of course, the hospital would doubtless have been identifiable as such, even to a complete and utter halfwit, moreover, it would certainly not be unreasonable to assume the enemy had been told of it's location, given the presence of rather vengeful individuals who held high office, perhaps deliberately shelling hospitals was not a wise thing to have done.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Three shells aimed at the hospital just passed over the roof and fell in the road behind sending a shower of stones round us and on the verandah. This happened at noon today. When they come so near and you realize what it would be if it struck the building. We hear good news of Lord Robert's Column tonight. That they have taken three laagers and some stores (wish we had some of them) and are advancing on Bloemfontein.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.435 seconds