• Page:

TOPIC:

February 18th 12 years 1 month ago #2318

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Ladysmith siege day 109 (91%). Mafeking siege day 129 (59%). Battle of Paardeberg. Lyttelton captures Monte Cristo.
1901 - Methuen in action with De la Rey at Hartebeestfontein.
1902 - Action at Klippan, near Springs.
1903 - 18-25. Mr. Chamberlain at Cape Town. Sails for England. Lord Milner appoints committee of doctors to inquire into conditions of Kaffirs at the mines.
1904 - Resignation of Sir G. Sprigg. Dr. Jameson forms a Ministry.

In Kimberley:

Colonel Peakman reported from Riverton Pumping Station that Enemy were reported to be 8 or 10 miles North, and that the pumping machinery was not damaged. The enemy with the 6 inch gun and several smaller guns is said to have crossed the Vaal on the 16th.

It is sad to see the state of the horses, and the camping ground is most uncomfortable.

During the evening I received the following message from the Governor “Heartiest congratulations on your gallant defence, and well merited promotion.”

In Mafeking:

Our usual quiet day. The bank now opens for business on Sundays. As the Kaffirs, in common with other natives, persist in burying their specie, it is very literally locked up, and to restore the circulation of silver we have a paper issue for small sums. Indeed, we are now a very self-contained community, we have our bank, our ordnance factory, our police, and flourish under a beneficent and remote autocracy. As regards the ordnance, the factory was started for the manufacture of shells for our seven-pounders, for shot, brass and iron, for our antique cannon, and for the adaptation of five-pounder shells (left here by Dr. Jameson) to our seven-pounders by the addition of enlarged driving bands; these have all proved a complete success, and too much praise cannot be given to Connely and Cloughlan of the Locomotive Department, who have organized and ran the aforesaid factory. As great a triumph has been the manufacture of powder, and invention of fuses by Lieutenant Daniel, B. S. A.P., and Glamorgan Artillery Militia, and thus we are rendered secure against our ammunition running short; a gun is also being manufactured, and will shortly be used. This factory is of long standing, but prior to this the authorities have not allowed us to allude to its existence.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 18th 8 years 1 month ago #45293

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Sunday, all quiet here, but Buller’s people seem to be having another shindy. — We are in luck again. We have managed to secure another piece of pork. Surely we must have lighted in Fiddler’s Green, before our time. I have heard Major Dugald Dalgetty, spoken of as a coarse, gluttonous, pedant, because he was always ready to take in provender. My experiences during the last three months, shows me he was a wise officer, well acquainted with the exigencies of actual war. He was right to eat as much as he could, and pocket the rest for times of scarcity and famine.
Dr David Biggins

February 18th 7 years 1 month ago #52056

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

A cruelly hot day again. Incessant firing in the direction of Colenso today. Late in the evening we heard Buller had taken one of the strongest Boer positions on Bloy's farm at Colenso.

Mama is not so well again. Ada also is seedy. The doctor told me this afternoon that if they were no better tomorrow I should stay at home and help.

After Church Mr. Brooking and Mr. Normand came to supper. Mr. Normand is beginning to look siege-like and so is Captain Adams.
Dr David Biggins

February 18th 7 years 1 month ago #52057

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Left for town at 9 o’clock. Felled a dead tree with the assistance of a boy in adjoining garden, giving us a fortnight’s supply of fuel. Minced and manipulated my horse flesh. Doctor tells me that the Garrison has lost to date during the siege, 8 Officers, 431 men from diseases. At my suggestion we had a group taken and made up by the Doctor, McVarish, myself and the two servants, with one of ’Long Tom’s” shells which fell close by, a Mauser rifle, fragments of shell etc., not forgetting puppy. It was taken in rear of house which governs a good background formed of fig trees and vines. We were just in time as it was about the last plate left in town. My side causing me such acute pain I decided to consult the Doctor, who after examining, said my liver was much inflamed with part sticking to my ribs, which accounts for the tearing sensation I’ve had from time to time. Left at 9 o’clock. Had a terrible night, fainting twice from, I conclude, the effects of the medicine.
Dr David Biggins

February 18th 7 years 1 month ago #52061

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A "fortnight's" supply of fuel, so, perhaps not a particularly large tree?

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Left for town at 9 o’clock. Felled a dead tree with the assistance of a boy in adjoining garden, giving us a fortnight’s supply of fuel. Minced and manipulated my horse flesh. Doctor tells me that the Garrison has lost to date during the siege, 8 Officers, 431 men from diseases. At my suggestion we had a group taken and made up by the Doctor, McVarish, myself and the two servants, with one of ’Long Tom’s” shells which fell close by, a Mauser rifle, fragments of shell etc., not forgetting puppy. It was taken in rear of house which governs a good background formed of fig trees and vines. We were just in time as it was about the last plate left in town. My side causing me such acute pain I decided to consult the Doctor, who after examining, said my liver was much inflamed with part sticking to my ribs, which accounts for the tearing sensation I’ve had from time to time. Left at 9 o’clock. Had a terrible night, fainting twice from, I conclude, the effects of the medicine.

February 18th 6 years 1 month ago #57596

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Heavy firing Colenso direction. No news from Buller.

Food very scarce, poor fellows glad to accept presents of whole mealies or Kafir corn. We hunted a few bags up in back store at office.

Very hot, no rain.

Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.760 seconds