March 6th 12 years 3 weeks ago #2461

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Mafeking siege day 145 (66%).

In Mafeking:

Yesterday our seven-pounders made very good shooting on the Boer brickfield trenches, and after Mr. Feltham, Protectorate Regiment, had thrown dynamite at them for some time, the Cape Boys went to poke them out of their sap with the bayonet, but the wily Boer was gone; they had closed their sap. In this fight of " sit down " (as the Zulus say), 1 for one had worn out much patience and several pairs of trousers, and we seem to be borrowing more and more hints in the way of mortars, hand grenades, &c, from our forefathers. The Boers seemed much annoyed yesterday afternoon, and heavy firing-went on last night and is going on this morning. The big gun did not fire yesterday though she was elevated and pointed several times, nor has she fired this morning. There are strong rumours that the Boers intend to trek, and are preparing for it; that the gun we see is a dummy; and that the real one has been withdrawn to defend a position on the frontier. We sincerely hope it is true.

The gun proved herself to be the "old original" by letting us have two or three shots in the evening.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 6th 7 years 3 weeks ago #52448

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Everyone you meet has a bundle of letters, papers and Christmas cards. I believe tons have come in.

Tomorrow the Volunteers are leaving for Highlands for three weeks change. I wonder when we will get away. Wilfrid has a splitting headache tonight," but his temperature was" lower. Went to see them at hospital tonight.
Dr David Biggins

March 6th 7 years 3 weeks ago #52449

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Couldn’t get to sleep until after 2 when I slept till 8. 70 of our men left on 3 weeks furlough. I might have gone but elected to wait here until I could join the regiment at Highlands. Received cable from Rose and others - so delighted to get such recent news. Also another batch of letters, etc. Wrote Nancie to acknowledge cable. Shifted to Mrs. Haden’s as the Doctor is closing up house prior to leaving for P.M.Burg.
Dr David Biggins

March 6th 7 years 3 weeks ago #52451

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Just reading this, you get a real sense of the level of jubilation that must have been felt by an overwhelming majority in the town at this point, wonderful, I find myself feeling very pleased for them.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Everyone you meet has a bundle of letters, papers and Christmas cards. I believe tons have come in.

Tomorrow the Volunteers are leaving for Highlands for three weeks change. I wonder when we will get away. Wilfrid has a splitting headache tonight," but his temperature was" lower. Went to see them at hospital tonight.

March 6th 7 years 3 weeks ago #52466

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
For many the effects of the Siege lingered on, and sadness tinged the jubilation. Perhaps the saddest event for the Natal Volunteers was the sudden death on 6 April 1900 of their Commandant, Colonel William Royston, a much-loved and much-respected figure in Natal. He had joined the Natal Carbineers in 1872 and rose in the ranks to command it, before becoming Commandant of Volunteers in 1898. Another important Carbineer to die after the Siege was RSM B M Bowen. Although most of the Volunteers did return to duty after a period of rest and recuperation, some were medically discharged with their lives blighted by ill-health.

Brett

March 6th 7 years 3 weeks ago #52491

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite frankly Brett, the level of sacrifice in the defence of Natal is truly staggering and it is something I think of every time I walk through St Ann's Square in Manchester during the week.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds