• Page:

TOPIC:

March 10th 12 years 1 month ago #2486

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
1900 - Mafeking siege day 149 (68%). Battle of Driefontein.
1903 - Customs Conference meets at Bloemfontein. First session of Transvaal Legislative Council opened.

In Mafeking:

Heavy firing this morning in the brickfields, the gun is elevated and pointed on the town, in which position she has remained for the past two or three clays with very occasional shells. The Boers are daily treking by degrees. I propose to go down to the brickfields this morning as that is about the liveliest spot in Mafeking, though I fancy very little of it will go a long way.

Trooper Webb of the Cape Police was shot through the head in the brickfield trenches last night; a fine specimen of a splendid corps. He was shot through the ankle in a sortie at the commencement of the siege, and when able to hobble he came out for duty as look-out man and orderly at headquarters; yesterday, as he was not so lame, at his earnest request he was allowed to go on duty in the advanced trenches, and during his first tour of sentry-go, was mortally wounded by a chance bullet in the dark. He is greatly regretted by the townspeople and all ranks, and Her Majesty loses a fine soldier, a first-class policeman, and a good all-round man.

I went down to the brickfields this morning and met Captain Fitzclarence and Captain Williams; things were pretty quiet down there in the morning, though they livened up again shortly afterwards. I went round the trenches with them. One's mode of progression is distinctly uncomfortable, bent double, with a certain amount of water in the trenches, which are shallow as yet between the various works, but being deepened daily. The various works and trenches all have their names, Regent's Circus, Oxford Street, &c, whilst our most advanced work is called the New Cut, and the Boers' trench forty yards away Houndsditch. The sound of the Mauser at this short range has a very different effect to its sound at the longer ranges, and the crack of the bullets when they strike is like the explosion of a young shell. The Boers at these ranges are very quick and good shots; the}' shoot at your hat if visible, or at the sound of your voice, and as the loopholes, have to be kept closed, the only way of looking out is by means of a pair of Zeiss glasses which project over the edge of the parapet while one's head is in safety some inches below, even so they put a bullet through one of the lenses this morning (which, as they were mine, did not please me) and through the hat of the look-out man, but with them you can see right into the Boer loopholes with comparative safety, though bullets frequently, owing to the tremendous penetration of the Mauser, come clean through the upper part of the parapet, and the sand bags on the top are cut to ribbons. The advance post is occupied by the Cape Boys, who under Lieutenants Feltham and Currie (who has recently been promoted) take it day and day about; one was shot this morning. This post which we now occupy was sapped up to and occupied from the other side by the Boers, but was retaken by the Cape Boys under Currie, with Captain Fitzclarence and some of the white garrison; they had to emerge in single file from a narrow opening which was commanded by the Boer loop-holes, and run round the edge of the excavation of the brickfield up to the loop-holes occupied by the Boers, a distance of some twenty yards; the latter fled on their approach. We have now occupied it from our side and strengthened the work. The trenches approaching the advance works are exposed to fire from the front and right flanks, but are being strengthened daily. On our return from the advance work we made our way to the river bed where Currie's post is established, and it was there that poor Webb was killed. The garrison of the trenches are now fairly housed and comparatively safe, though, of course, casualties occur daily; still, if the Boers try a sortie they will meet a very warm reception.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 10th 7 years 1 month ago #52532

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Goldmann left by the 7 o’clock train to Maritzburg to spend a few days with his brother Sydney, thence to the Orange Free State to join Lord Roberts. A great number of visitors with residents came up by the train, amongst whom were the managers of the two local banks, (Natal and Standard).

An order has been issued by the Provost Marshall that all residents were to be provided with passes and those unemployed were to leave the town.
Dr David Biggins

March 10th 7 years 1 month ago #52533

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Nothing happened today to relate. All just the same.
Dr David Biggins

March 10th 7 years 1 month ago #52536

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Poor girl, she appears to be rather bored, quite frankly, it's the sort of boredom I could certainly get used to.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Nothing happened today to relate. All just the same.

March 10th 7 years 1 month ago #52543

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Te anti-climax must be enormous. I found it fascinating that Bella would miss the Long Tom that brought such destruction to life in the town.
Dr David Biggins

March 10th 7 years 1 month ago #52552

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Quite frankly David, so do I, notwithstanding, deliberately shelling hospitals proved to be a very foolish thing to have done, given the number of vengeful and ardent imperialists already in South Africa in late 1899.
What I do find most fascinating of all, was simply that the War Office did not contemplate even the mere possibility of long range shelling of towns in the Colony in the first place, after all, according to the General Staff, those wretched enemy guns were far to heavy to physically move from their emplacements, in their fortifications, within the Transvaal republic.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds