• Page:

TOPIC:

March 12th 12 years 2 weeks ago #2504

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Mafeking siege day 151 (69%). British Government refuses Boer overtures of peace. Brabant occupies Aliwal North and enters the Free State. Boshof occupied.

In Mafeking:

The natives went out last night, and McKenzie's boys got into Jackal Tree which they found empty. The Baralongs attacked Fort Snyman from the rear and had a lively engagement with the hundred odd Boers who garrisoned it, and after finishing their ammunition, withdrew with a loss of one killed and two wounded. We know of one Boer dead for certain, for Trooper "Webb of the C. P. blew his head off at the entrance to the work, and we fancy that at the short range our volleys must have accounted for several more. General Snyman has returned and notified his arrival by an unusually heavy dose of shell fire. I rode round the western outposts this morning with Captain Wilson; the natives seemed quite pleased with themselves, more particularly as they had secured some thirty head of fat cattle in a raid two days ago. We then inspected the soup kitchens which he is managing, and which are a great improvement on those first started; the food provided is very popular with the natives, who come in their hundreds for it.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 12th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52571

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

Up at 5 o’clock, making an early breakfast and leaving Ladysmith once again for down country - for which thank God. The journey to Colenso of 1 and half hours was very interesting. The first stoppage was at Intombi (3 miles) where I had the misfortune to be confined for 11 days. Within 5 minutes run we passed the Dam which the enemy had been busy constructing during the past months, but happily was unable to complete. So far as I could see, the idea must have been to have built it up to the banks, and the extending to the kopje on either side. By doing so it would have been possible to have built a wall at least 50 feet from the bed of the river, an undertaking that would have taken the 1,500 boys (natives) (supposed to have been working) another month to have completed. The wall was formed of sand bags and it’s estimated that over a million bags had already been filled and deposited. The bank nearest to the line was about 30 feet high from river bed and the width some 60 feet. There are many conjectures as to the enemy’s object for building such a gigantic wall, but the most feasible was, that it was for the purpose of flooding out Intombi Camp, thereby drawing all the available troops to the rescue and thus give them the only chance of a successful attack on the town. To construct a Dam capable of flooding the town was a moral impossibililty and would only occur to those unacquainted with the position. Should this theory prove correct it was most diabolical, but the Boers would be fully aware that before it was possible to get a foot of water into the town, it would have swept away the Hospital, drowning every living thing in the neighbourhood.

From this point, which is the last cutting going into Ladysmith rounding by the Klip River, to Colenso, the country is very broken with wave upon wave of kopjes with here and there a few hundred yards of flat country covered with mimosa bush. To see it one can readily understand the difficulties Gen. Buller had to get his column through. The whole country along the line was fortified by stone walling, sangers and entrenchments, all of which had been done by the Boers. At Colenso most of the fortifications were done by the Durban Light Infantry, hence the two forts named Wylie and Molyneux after these officers, Captain and Lieut, respectively of this corps. Nelthorpe and Pieters Station buildings suffered considerably. All the windows and doors smashed. At the latter an Iron Safe was lying outside minus the door. There is not wanting evidence that the Boers must have suffered great hardships, living as they did in roughly made shelters made of sticks interlaced after the fashion of a native kraal only covered with sacking instead of grass. There were a few structures covered with corrugated iron purloined from station buildings. Ambulance and several buck waggons and a Cape cart are lying on the veld, evidently come to grief during the flight of the Boers. Reached Colenso on the northern bank of the Tugela about 10 o’clock, crossing over the foot bridge which wound in and out of the iron superstructure of the four spans which were so scientifically blown up by the enemy. One of the spans is twisted corkscrew shape, while every stone of one of the piers is displaced to the very foundation. A trestle bridge is now in course of construction and is expected to be completed for traffic within a week - a smart piece of engineering work.

Went over the ground where Col. Long met with such a terrible disaster, losing eleven guns belonging to the 66th and 14th Field Batteries. From what I could see and learn, he brought up the guns almost on the top of the firing line which was formed by the Irish Brigade and who were thus powerless to help him in his retreat. That someone blundered there can be no doubt. At the most he could only advance some 600 yards before having to cross the river, near which is a clump of mimosa bush, where a number of the enemy had taken cover, as well as being strongly entrenched on the near bank. Had it not been for the river intervening he might have occupied the kopjes about 300 yards from the north bank and have done excellent service. I cannot but think that was the object in view, intending to cross the river by the road bridge but failing the necessary precaution in sending out a scouting party to thoroughly reconnoitre the position before so doing. Again entraining, passed through open and level country which gave the Boers every opportunity of watching and anticipating our every movement. Arrived at Estcourt about noon. Looked up Bruce at the Sanatorium and later on called on Father at the D.L.Infantry Camp. Found both looking exceedingly well and fit and very pleased to see me once again. Stayed the night with Father. In the same compartment coming down was Col. Galway P.M.O. of Natal. He told me there were close upon 6,500 sick and wounded in his hospitals. Major King (who was attached to Gen. White’s staff) spoke to me saying he hoped to see me back again as Gen. Hunter badly wanted us to accompany him when moving forward.
Dr David Biggins

March 12th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52572

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Mama and Aunt Fanny leave tomorrow for Maritzburg. Ada, Wilfrid and I will follow as soon as we can.

Today Miss Plunkitt came again and asked Aunt Fanny if she might come here as her housekeeper because the Military Authorities were going to send all the unemployed away, and she wants to be able to say she is doing something. I hope to goodness she will help a little because Ada and I want to begin to prepare a little for our holiday. We haven't been able to do anything for ourselves for ever so long. Major MacFarlane is going tomorrow too, so we will be a small household again, as Mr. Fanshawe hopes to get his six months sick leave in a day or two.
Dr David Biggins

March 12th 7 years 2 weeks ago #52576

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
" send all the unemployed away"
To do what, I wonder?

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Mama and Aunt Fanny leave tomorrow for Maritzburg. Ada, Wilfrid and I will follow as soon as we can.

Today Miss Plunkitt came again and asked Aunt Fanny if she might come here as her housekeeper because the Military Authorities were going to send all the unemployed away, and she wants to be able to say she is doing something. I hope to goodness she will help a little because Ada and I want to begin to prepare a little for our holiday. We haven't been able to do anything for ourselves for ever so long. Major MacFarlane is going tomorrow too, so we will be a small household again, as Mr. Fanshawe hopes to get his six months sick leave in a day or two.

March 12th 2 years 2 weeks ago #82071

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Monday, 12 March

Big Ben opened fire a little after breakfast and has been giving us a hot time, in all sent in about twenty 94-pound shells, the last one of which, just after sundown, a shrapnel, wounded badly one white man (Ironsides, Volunteers) and two natives. Ironsides sustained a compound fracture of the leg, which it is thought he will lose.

A man named Hule was also shot today by a Mauser through his leg. Only a flesh wound.

The shells have been coming very unpleasantly close to us today. Two fell and burst in the Market Square within 20 yards of the front of our shop, another at the end of the yard in the lane, whilst a fourth burst in the next yard and sent a big piece of shrapnel casing right through our auction store, completely blowing out the front door, but luckily only damaged the building and touched nothing inside. Another shell passed right through the Salvation Army barracks, which is now being used by the artillery as quarters store for stock of shells, powder, etc., but again with the luck that has now become proverbial, nothing very much was damaged.

It was noticed today that the water in the pipes was running. This may be caused by the rain, or by the enemy. However, the Colonel commanding has issued a notice warning all against drinking it as it may be poisoned. It is hardly to be thought the Boers would do such a thing, but precautions are necessary. Mr. E. C. Wright has very kindly promised me a daily resume of what is seen from De Kock’s corner, of which post he is commandant, and calls it "On the glass”, referring to the telescope.

"On the glass”. At 6 last night big gun depressed. 7 this morning two tent waggons arrived at McMullen’s laager from the Transvaal. A little later a lot of men could be seen slaughtering cattle at the same place.

9 a.m. Four loaded waggons left laager and proceeded north. Two waggons loaded up forage at Jacobs’ farm, near to the big gun, and took same over to the laager.

11.15. Big gun fired two shots, one on town, and the other on brickfields.

12.30. Big Ben fired blank charge, the rest of the shells during the day were fired all at different points of the town.

6 p.m. Waggon and cart arrived from the north over Signal Hill and proceeded to the enemy’s big laager.

6.15 p.m. Big gun fired, loaded again, and directed on town.

7 p.m. Off she went again, this time hitting the club, wrecking the writing room and hanging pieces of galvanized iron roof up to dry in the trees in front.

Drop this "On the glass” business, it is a bit too tedious.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.375 seconds