• Page:

TOPIC:

March 17th 12 years 1 week ago #2535

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Mafeking siege day 156 (71%). Boer Council of War at Kroonstad.
1902 - Meeting of De la Rey, Steyn and de Wet at Zendelingsfontein.

In Mafeking:

Pretty quiet day. Last night McKenzie's boys raided Jackal Tree fort, killed one Boer and a Kaffir, and secured three horses and rifles. The dug-outs are all so close to various residences that it was amusing to see one card party, disturbed by the ringing of the bell, dive from the mess to the dug-out, and actually be back picking up their cards before the shell which had passed high in the air, had exploded. Vices in time of peace become virtues in war time; the most expert Baralong cattle thief, who under other circumstances would assuredly be indurance vile, is now indeed a persona grata and leader of men, and whilst enjoying himself at the top of his bent is making the most of his fleeting opportunity.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

March 17th 7 years 1 week ago #52664

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Bert very bad, all night high fever. I was so anxious that I did not get to sleep until past three. Major Bateson came morning and evening but found him no better. He thinks it is enteric but says he showed no symptoms of it before. I hope he won't have another bad night. Mr. Carter is coming to sit up with him tonight. Uncle Joe turned up from Durban today. They all say we should have a nurse for Bert, as four invalids in the house, besides the cooking and housekeeping is too much for me, so Mr. Christopher is going to wire to Nurse Harrington, Bert's old nurse, to see if she can come.

Willie, I am glad to say, is no worse. In fact is much better. I think the worst is over with him. He must just be careful. I think it is time Wilfrid was allowed to sit up a little. What a time this is for sickness. Major Bateson told me again this morning there were a thousand out at Tin Camp sick, 700 still at Indombi, but they are sending them away now a hundred at a time in the new hospital train (Princess Christian's).

What experiences one has in one's life. I remember once not knowing what to do with my time, pulling things to pieces to put them together again, and now, I have not a minute to call my own. In fact if I sit down I think of dozens of things to be done.

I must say I like this experience better than not knowing what to do.
Dr David Biggins

March 17th 2 years 1 week ago #82174

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Saturday, 17 March

Usual routine today, few big Bens, Mauser bullets, etc., but thank goodness no casualties, and very little damage, comparatively.

Abrams’s Baralongs again went out scouting last night, and in the moonlight met and engaged a small patrol of three Boers, one only of whom got away, the other two falling to the guns of the natives. This will make them more careful going their nightly rounds.

Three waggons were seen to arrive from the north, proceeding to McMullen’s laager.

Greener asked me today if I could copy, by photography, a sketch out of the Colonel’s sketch-book, saying that they proposed to draw a pen and ink sketch, photo it, and print on blue paper, or ferro-prussiate process, a £1 note or coupon. At the very first attempt the negative turned out very successful, and now it only remains to produce the paper and print them.

The sound of very heavy reports w'ere heard in the early morning coming from the north-west; it is supposed to be the Boers blowing up and destroying the railway line north. They must be commencing to be a bit afraid of Plumer’s little lot, and do this simply to gain time.

It is reported by natives that young Cronje with 600 men passed through within the last day or two and has gone north. When, oh, when is that relief column going to make its appearance? Alas, for the mutability of our hopes and desires.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.360 seconds