TOPIC:

Why did the Anglo Boer War start on October 11th 6 years 3 months ago #57100

• Reznik
  • Reznik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am stumped by a simple question:
Why did the Anglo Boer War commence on October 11th?

Seems simple enough?
Encyclopedia Brittanica generated a beautifully worded - historically accurate response that reads:
---- The Boers, realizing war was unavoidable, took the offensive. On Oct. 9, 1899, they issued an ultimatum to British government, declaring that a state of war would exist between Britain and the two Boer republics if the British did not remove their troops from along the border. The ultimatum expired without resolution, and the war began on Oct. 11, 1899.

But that is still not the answer....
Why was the ultimatum designed to expire on October 11th

Most members to this site are experts in one area of the war or another... how about taking a stab at answering this simple question?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Why did the Anglo Boer War start on October 11th 6 years 3 months ago #57101

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Can ask the same question.......

The ultimatum to Germany from UK was on September 1st and war was declared September 3rd 1939......
Maybe 48 Hours is a Diplomatic norm.......

I have no idea......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Why did the Anglo Boer War start on October 11th 6 years 3 months ago #57102

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Everybody
At 5pm on Monday 9 October 1899 the Secretary of State, F W Reitz, delivered the ZAR Ultimatum to the British Agent W Conyngham Greene in Pretoria. In it the British Government was asked for assurances that 1. Points of difference would be settled in a friendly way or via arbitration 2. Troops on the ZAR boundaries would be recalled immediately 3. All troop reinforcements landed since 1 June 1899 be relocated to the coast and within a reasonable time be removed from South Africa while the ZAR would then pledge not to attack any property of the British Government. 4. No troops currently at sea be landed in any South African harbour.
Satisfactory answers to the four demands were required by 5pm on Wednesday 11 October 1899, failing which the ZAR regretfully would be forced to regard the attitude of the British Government as a formal declaration of war.
Lord Lansdowne, Secretary of State for War, immediately after receiving notification of the Ultimatum messaged Chamberlain :Accept my felicitations. I don't think Kruger could have played your cards better than he has. My soldiers are in ecstasies The British reply, delivered before the cut-off time and in the presence of Pres Kruger, consequently stated ...the conditions demanded by the Government of the ZAR are such as Her Majesty's Government deem it impossible to discuss. The British Agent was then informed that the ZAR was in a state of war with Great Britain, following which Conyngham Greene asked for passports for himself and his staff.
In the meantime the British High Commissioner had enquired from President Steyn whether he, in view of the Free State Parliamentary Resolution of 27 September 1899, supported and approved of the ZAR action and would join them in warfare.
Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Charl

Why did the Anglo Boer War start on October 11th 6 years 3 months ago #57105

• Reznik
  • Reznik's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The VERY simple answer to this historical question is that Paul Kruger's birthday was on October 10th.

No way was the team going to allow a declaration of war to spoil the festivities. So they sent their ultimatum, knowing full well that it would be rejected - on a day that would force the response to be after Paul Kruger + family and associates had completed their celebrations of his 74th birthday in peace.

Sometimes history IS personal

Why did the Anglo Boer War start on October 11th 6 years 3 months ago #57141

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I like Rory's answer.

Also, consider that they had to send the message, give them time to consider it and respond. That would be about 48 hours. 24 is too soon, half of it is taken up by the night.

You don't want to leave too long a time, it makes you stress, and gives the soon to be enemy too much time to think.

Ryan

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds