• Page:

TOPIC:

April 22nd 12 years 2 weeks ago #2859

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1900 - Mafeking siege day 192 (88%). Wepener siege day 14 (82%)
1901 - Viljoen escapes across the Olifant's River. Pulteney captures Boos Senekal. Boers attack convoy at Platberg, near Klerksdorp.

1900 - Mafeking - A diary of the siege by Major F D Baillie

A quiet day. The concert in the afternoon was a great success, and Colonel Baden-Powell as usual "brought down the house" in his musical sketches. On reading some old papers I see the Boers have the consummate impudence to protest against our conduct of the war. Now I wish clearly to point out that I do not try to saddle the whole Boer nation with the conduct of some of their worst characters, but the lower class Boer is, in many cases, no better than a savage and sometimes, in the case of educated Kaffirs, considerably worse. I am not trying to pile up atrocities against them, but a propos of the subject generally, the following facts are somewhat interesting. - George Umfazwi, the head Fingoe, a Christian, is a leading member of the Rev. W. H. Weekes's congregation in the native location. One night he went out cattle-raiding, in charge of a mixed party of Fingoes and Baralongs. These parties, as I have said before, go out on their own initiative, and sell their plunder to the Government. Soon after starting they came upon the body of a Baralong woman, who, when endeavouring to escape, had had her throat cut. Naturally the Baralongs were more than annoyed, and vowed to kill all the Dutch women they might come across. Umfazwi, however, told them that if they persisted in their intentions he and the Fingoes would have nothing more to do with them. In the course of their raid they occupied a Dutch homestead, from which they were fired upon by Dutchmen. In the house were three Dutch women, whom the natives did not touch, only taking the cattle and returning to Mafeking. In the next raid, Umfazwi and his Fingoes were surrounded, as I told you in a former account, and, after a hard fight, were all killed—no quarter being given. I was talking yesterday to Major Anderson, R.A.M.C, and he said, in the course of the conversation, that he preferred a savage warfare, for then you knew what to expect, and that if he had to go out again, he would sooner not take a Red Cross flag, as on each occasion on which he had done so, it had drawn the fire; whereas, when he went out without, he only took his chance with the rest.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

April 22nd 2 years 2 weeks ago #82806

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

22, 23 and 24 April

Same old thing, bullets rattling through galvanized iron roofs, splinters of shells flying about. Horsemeat sausage for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Two casualties, Richards and Schreiner both dead. Lieutenant Murchison, the man who shot the war correspondent, has been sentenced to be shot, but the general officer commanding has commuted this to penal servitude for life.
Dr David Biggins

April 22nd 2 years 2 weeks ago #82807

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Wepener

From the diary of 2nd Lieutenant Nigel K Charteris, Royal Scots, at Wepener

22nd April

We can hear big guns today firing in the distance. We are in tough by helio with Generals Rundle and Brabant. Sniping and shell fire continuous.

From the diary of Lance Corporal Luke Gormley, 1st Royal Scots, at Wepener

Apr 22nd

It is Sunday and we are still in the same position. The guns of our relief seem to be nearer than yesterday. We have had more casualties including thirteen of Brabant's Horse killed and wounded. We are looking a nice lot in the trenches. Most of us are perfect shadows and we have not had a wash or shave, or change of clothing since the start of the siege. We are also covered with vermin. We try to keep ourselves as free as we can but without success. I think that I would give three months pay for a good wash and a good meal. We hear that Gatacre has been sent home and most of us think he has had pretty hard lines as he never got enough troops for the extent of country that he had to protect. He was a hardworking man and was always looking to the interests of the men under his Command and the men would have followed him anywhere. I have never heard a man of his Division say an ill-word about him and he was considered a Soldier and a Gentleman and we are all sorry to hear that he has been recalled.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds