• Page:

TOPIC:

April 24th 12 years 1 week ago #2870

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1900 - Mafeking siege day 194 (89%). Wepener siege day 16 (94%). Boers again attack Dalgety, but are repulsed. Boer position at Warrenton bombarded. Explosion at the Begbie factory at Johannesburg.
1902 - Special meetings convened by burghers in the field to discuss the question of peace.

1900 - Mafeking - A diary of the siege by Major F D Baillie

We received glorious news last night, but it seems almost too good to be true, namely, that Lord Roberts had surrounded the Boers at Kronstadt, and had given them twenty-four hours to surrender, and that Lord Methuen had reached Klerksdorp. It is quite possible, but still one does not like to believe it before it is verified, and it is after all a rumour. On the face of it, it seems probable, and that it is a continuation of his turning movement. If so, the Boers in these parts are nicely out-manoeuvred, and we look for our Relief Column following Methuen's tract as far as Border Siding, and then coming up the line. Automatic relief, so glibly talked about in some papers, will not be of much use to us, for what we most require is provisions. I saw it stated in an article in The Times that Kimberley and ourselves were of no strategical importance in the campaign, but I totally disagree with this idea. Had Mafeking and Kimberley fallen at first, or had Cronje been able to disregard these two isolated places and swept down south, the Colony, to a great extent, would have fallen into his hands. The troops in the South would have had a far greater extent of country to reconquer, and Mafeking at any rate must have eventually fallen. The natives would have lost confidence, the Boers would have retained possession of the line and the rolling stock from the Yaal River to the north, Rhodesia would have been open to attack, and the whole conditions of the war entirely changed, and not changed in our favour. I suppose this also holds good of Lady smith, but there, of course, the Boers would have left a considerable force in their rear. I think it was the half-heartedness of the Boers in only partially invading the Colony and Natal and remaining to nibble at the tempting baits of apparently two unprotected towns, which gave the troops coming out an advantage which they never would have had had the Boers made one dash for Capetown. And even now, though in a very much less degree, I consider this town of strategical importance. We keep a large number of Boers in our proximity, and the Boers in the neighbouring districts are more concerned about preventing our relief than in opposing the force from which the really imminent danger threatens. And if it be true that Lord Methuen is at Klerksdorp, the Boers in these parts will have no earthly weight in the decisive portion of the campaign. Why they should wish to take Mafeking except to score one trick, as all other advantages they have gained they have since lost, it is hard to say. Their chance of invading Rhodesia is gone, the crossings of the Vaal River are in our hands. There are no stores now in Mafeking and beyond the bare temporary possession, they would gain nothing at all, added to which I should have thought that by this time they might have learnt that they were not going to have even a temporary possession.

The verdict of the court martial which tried Lieutenant Murchison for the murder of Mr. Parslow and sentenced him to death, has come back confirmed by Lord Roberts, who, however, has commuted the sentence to one of penal servitude for life. Murchison was at one time a major in the Royal Artillery, and so far as I know him personally, I do not consider him responsible for his actions.

The Rhodesian postal authorities notified us to-day that press telegrams (owing to the congestion of the lines) would be taken off the wires at Umtali, sent by train to Beira, and then be re-telegraphed to London via Lorenzo Marques. The press has naturally protested strongly, as their course of action will probably entail a delay of a week. The postal arrangements throughout the campaign have been most infamous; whether the fault lies at Cape Town or Bulawayo I know not, but in any case some abominably careless official should be hauled over the coals. We have consistently got letters out from here which have been received at home, and it simply means total imbecility or inexcusable idleness on the part of responsible authorities if we are unable to receive letters in the same way. Most people here naturally say it is the fault of the Bond Government, and though they have deserved hanging many times over, I do not think this particular crime can be laid at their door, though the absence of our guns certainly may. Mr. Schreiner has, I see, protested against the Boers being sent to St. Helena. I am unaware if he has protested against our being detained here. He also states that people misjudge him and he seems annoyed. He has only been judged by his actions, which here, as well as elsewhere, are deplored. However, this savours of politics, and is therefore somewhat out of my province.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

April 24th 2 years 1 week ago #82838

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

22, 23 and 24 April

Same old thing, bullets rattling through galvanized iron roofs, splinters of shells flying about. Horsemeat sausage for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Two casualties, Richards and Schreiner both dead. Lieutenant Murchison, the man who shot the war correspondent, has been sentenced to be shot, but the general officer commanding has commuted this to penal servitude for life.
Dr David Biggins

April 24th 2 years 1 week ago #82839

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - Wepener

From the diary of 2nd Lieutenant Nigel K Charteris, Royal Scots, at Wepener

24th April

Sniping moderate.

Apr 24th

Still in the trenches and almost starving. No sign of relief and the Boers started firing this morning with terrible rapidity against our right flank. They were repulsed when they advanced in force but only after a lively hour and a half. Luckily none of our men were hit but we don't know if the rest of the garrison have had any losses though we will hear later on. This is the 16th day in the trenches and we are still in the same predicament. There must be something wrong for it is only 75 miles from Bloemfontein and relief could have come in four days, so they should have been here long ago.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds