• Page:

TOPIC:

April 30th 12 years 1 week ago #2923

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1900 - Mafeking siege day 200 (92%). Ian Hamilton attacks Boers at Houtnek. Tucker engaged at Krantz Kraal. British subjects expelled from the Transvaal.

1900 - Mafeking - A diary of the siege by Major F D Baillie

Very tired and stiff after the tournament. I feel as if all the competitors had been beating me with big sticks. Talking of sticks and Doctor Leyds, which always seem associated in my mind, I bought half a dozen very nice ones yesterday. I hope Dr. Leyds is having a good time now. I fancy he will have a moderate one when the war is over, as most people directly blame him for any discomforts they may have undergone. It is only natural for a Dutchman to fight, but for the man who pulls the strings and risks other people's skins with the utmost heroism seven thousand miles off,, you do not feel a great amount of affection or respect, more particularly when he is living on the fat of the land and you are rather hungry. Besides, the fellow is an infernal thief; he has battened on these unfortunate peasants for many years, and at the first pinch of fighting flies and leaves them. I have no use for a creature like that. I was rather amused to hear Sergeant Cooke, of the Bechuanaland Rifles, report having slain a Dutchman this morning. He wasn't in the least elated, and in a shamefaced sort of way said he was afraid it wasn't a sporting shot. He couldn't have been more upset if he had shot a hen pheasant sitting, but to anyone else the episode was distinctly amusing.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

April 30th 2 years 1 week ago #82980

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1900 - Wepener

From the diary of Lance Corporal Luke Gormley, 1st Royal Scots, at Wepener

Apr 30th

The Company left Dewetsdorp this morning at 9 o'clock en route for Bloemfontein. Our regiment, The Royal Scots, left here this morning. They have been here a few days and don't know their destination. When we arrived there was a lot of hand-shaking with old mates who congratulated us on our behaviour and on being among the survivors. There were hearty cheers on both sides as they marched passed us. It is hard to say when we will meet again as we are going in different directions and a good many will be seeing each other for the last time. The horses that we are taking to Bloemfontein are a terrible lot of nags. We were trekking along the road when, at about noon we got information there was a Commando of Boers directly on our road in front. So we left the road to try to get passed them. We made camp and were not disturbed in the night.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.437 seconds