Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - May 2nd 1900 Pt.2 12 years 2 weeks ago #2965

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1884
CAPE TOWN

May 2nd. 1900.

Dear Lord Strathcona,

In accordance with your cable transmitted to me through His Excellency the Governor, I beg to forward herewith the report of Lieut. Stevenson, Veterinary Officer, as to the mortality amongst the horses on the ship, and as to the accommodation on board.

I am,
Yours very respectfully,

(Signed) S. B. STEELE.

//

S T R A T H C O N A ' S H O R S E

May 2nd. 1900.

From The Veterinary Officer,
Strathcona's Horse
To The Commanding Officer.

Sir, -

I have the honour to make the following report regarding the horses on board the Transport Monterey.

I accompanied Dr. McEachran when he purchased the horses for Strathcona's Horse, and thoroughly inspected each and every one, and although they were not in a fat condition, they were fit for riding on the range, and in my opinion fit for shipping.

The horses were shipped to Ottawa where they remained until the 12th of March and the re-shipped to Halifax and loaded onto the ship on arrival of the trains. They were all loaded on the 16th of March and we sailed on the 17th. At the loading Dr. McEachran was present and I called his attention to several horses which he sent away for treatment. When they returned they were re-examined by Dr, McEachran and loaded in a part of the vessel set aside for that purpose with the exception of one which left behind on account of it being affected with Perpura.

The first few days the ship rolled considerably and several horses died of seasickness; following the seasickness an epidemic of pneumonia affected the horses and from this disease we lost a great number. Although every precaution was taken the disease seemed to spread until nearly every horse on the ship was affected -- at least from 85 to 90%.

The isolated ones were not the cause of the disease as they showed no symptoms, nor were they affected with the disease until the voyage was about half over. I held several post mortems and in every instance found the lungs very badly affected. In my opinion this disease was caused by the horses being brought, as they were, off the range where the mercury stood 35 to 40 degrees below zero, and dry climate to a damp and warmer one.

The ventilation on board ship was as good as could be had. There were several wind sails put in at different hatches, and this helped to keep the air pure below. Where the horses were the mercury stood for several days from 88 to 90 degrees above -- which was from one extreme to another. It was impossible to have all the horses at the wind sails, but they were being constantly moved and several were saved simply by moving them where they could get more air. This with stimulants and unremitting care saved a great number. I received all assistance that I required there being three officers with their men on duty night and day.

I was among the horses from morning till night and most every night till 12 or 2 o'clock. The rest of the time two or more of my assistants were constantly in attendance and if anything unusual occurred I was Immediately notified.

I have the honour to be,
Sir.
Your obedient servant.

(Signed) G. W. Stevenson, Lieut.

Veterinary Officer [/size]
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - May 2nd 1900 Pt.2 12 years 2 weeks ago #2966

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Mike,
Thank you for posting these reports, they make fascinating reading.

Regards
Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - May 2nd 1900 Pt.2 12 years 2 weeks ago #2967

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1884
Thanks for your comment Paul.....

I am glad that someone is actualy reading and enjoying them.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.641 seconds