Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - May 16th, 1900 12 years 4 days ago #3251

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1884
S T R A T H C O N A ' S H O R S E

The Right Honourable,
Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal, G.C.M.G.,
17 Victoria Street, London

Green Point Camp
Cape Town, 16th May, 1900

Dear Lord Strathcona,

We are in a state of great suspense owing to the inaction of the authorities in sending us to the front. So far as we are concerned we have been in a position to send two Squadrons for the last three weeks. The whole regiment could have moved two weeks ago. The wait is very trying on the men who think, owing to the rapid advance of Lord Roberts, that we will not see the real service.

However, we are doing the best we can. The different drills and garrison duties the Regiment is called upon to perform are done willingly and well. During the week I instructed "A" and "B" Squadrons in "Advance" and Rear" guards. This necessitated a march out to the country suitable for the exercise. The men were delighted with the change. Os Saturday last, under orders from Base, "A" and "B" Squadrons joined "C" at Maitland, and there, under the Staff was put through different movements. The Regiment presented a fine appearance, and was favourably commented upon by the Officers present.

"C" Squadron is still at Maitland in charge of the remounts, and will remain there until we move to the front.

Yesterday the Transport Department handed over to us 21 waggons, 126 mules with a Conductor and Native drivers, together with the harness and equipment. In addition to this we are to get an ammunition pack train for the Maxim and Pom-Pom guns, but these will be given to us when it is decided to move.

The men on the whole are well, and the horses in first class condition.

I am,

Yours respectfully,
(Signed) S. B. STEELE
Lt. Col.
Commanding, Strathcona's Horse

CAPE TOWN
Cape Colony
16th. May 1900.

Dear Lord Strathcona,

I do not have muct to write about, but what little I have to say may be of interest. The Regiment has been, I find, detained here for a special operation in which no other will take part, and if successful no regiment can occupy a high place than Yours. If this is carried out we have at least the honour of having been selected for one of the most difficult operations in war. Ere you get this you will have a cable to the effect that we are off somewhere, but no news of what this is can get to you until we are off. No one but Lord Roberts and his Chief of Staff know what the duty is.

The Regiment is in first class order and holds a high place in the estimation of the army officers and citizens here. The new horses are very good but not quite equal to the Canadian. The latter are admitted to be the best in the country.

Hoping that we shall soon do credit to you, I am, dear Lord Strathcona,

Yours respectfully,

(Signed) S. B. STEELE
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds