Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Burley in Wharfedale 8 years 1 month ago #45589

• dunnboer
  • dunnboer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 363
I recently acquired this watch presented to Pte J Lewis of the 1st Volunteer Service Company West Riding Regiment by the inhabitants of Burley in Wharfedale in June 1902.

This was accompanied by a photo of a roll of honour plaque to men who served in South Africa, presumably from Burley.

I cannot find any details of this plaque on the internet and would be very grateful if anyone can point me towards its location and any details of the watch presentation. I have traced Pte Lewis' service papers which confirm his birth in Burley.

Regards
Paul
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Burley in Wharfedale 8 years 1 month ago #45593

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Great discovery Paul.

I haven't seen or heard of a Burley tribute watch before. I find the British Newspaper Archive increasingly useful for finding reports of presentation ceremonies. Please post if you find one!

You probably already have this photo of the 36 man active service contingent of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion West Riding Regiment marching off to war in January 1900 but I'll post it anyway as it's a great photograph. They were selected from 300 volunteers,
led by the band and the factory workers were given half an hour off to cheer them on their way.

Justin

Attachments:

Burley in Wharfedale 8 years 1 month ago #45595

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303

dunnboer wrote: I cannot find any details of this plaque on the internet and would be very grateful if anyone can point me towards its location

Regards
Paul

Hello, Paul.

This was posted on the Ilkley Moor Forum - "Other Burley War Memorials, Rolls of Honour / Books of Remembrance & Plaques that come up on a search of the archive include:
Burley in Wharfedale Conservative Club - World War 1
Methodist Church - x2 plaques - World War 1 & World War 2
St Mary's Church - 2LT H V FISON - Boer War; World War 1 Plaque; CAPT H P S BUCKLEY - World War 1; 2LT R MOORE - World War 1; World War 2 - Board; "
www.ilkley-more.com/forum/burley-in-whar...n-the-great-war.html

The Ilkley Moor Forum would be the best place to make inquiries, I think.

Burley in Wharfedale 8 years 1 month ago #45596

• dunnboer
Hello Justin,

Thank you for the photo. I also find the British Newspaper Archive very useful in tracing these presentations but have drawn a blank with this one so far but will keep trying. You won't remember but we met many years ago. I was a regular customer of your late father who sold me many Boer War gems over the years.

Regards
Paul

Burley in Wharfedale 8 years 1 month ago #45597

• dunnboer
The British Newspaper Archive came up trumps eventually!

Leeds Mercury, Monday 7th July 1902:-

GIFTS TO BURLEY VETERANS. Colour-Sergeant W. C. Shepherd, Privates J. Lewis, W. Ledger, G. Aspey, E. Caine, and S. Town, natives of Burley-in-Wharfedale, who have been on active service in South Africa, on Saturday received suitably inscribed silver watches, purchased with the proceeds of a tea and dance promoted by the villagers. The first five men were members of the local company of the 3rd V.B. Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, and Private Town belonged to the 3rd West Riding Militia. The seventh man was Private McLoughlin, 2nd Batt Coldstream Guards, who received 10s.

Burley in Wharfedale 8 years 1 month ago #45658

• dunnboer
I have had the following response to my enquiry from Suzanne Young of the Wharfedale Family History Group:-

Hello Paul,
Stanley Merridew passed your email to me regarding the fabulous watch you now have in your possession. The Boer war memorial is located in the Queens Hall, Main Street, Burley in Wharfedale and you may be interested in this article I found from the Leeds Mercury dated 7th July 1902:
Colour-Sergeant W.C Shepherd, Private J. Lewis, W. Ledger, G. Aspey, S. Caine and S. Town natives of Burley-in-Wharfedale, who have been on active service in South Africa, on Saturday received suitably inscribed silver watches, purchased with the proceeds of a tea and dance promoted by villagers.
The first five men were members of the local company of the 3rd V.B. Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, and Private Town belonged to the 3rd West Riding Militia. The seventh man was Private McLoughlin, 2nd Batt. Coldstream Guards, who received 10s.

Would you mind if we tried to reproduce your photograph of the watch in our journal as I think the story would be most interesting to our members?

Regards
Susanne Young
Wharfedale Family History Group

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds