Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Thomas H. Griffiths, K.I.A. 10.3.1900, at Driefontein 6 years 10 months ago #53364

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Maentwrog war memorial, Merionethshire (now in Gwynedd).

(The Cambrian News and Merionethshire Standard, 30th March 1900)

The Western Mail, of Monday, 19th March 1900, published a list of men from the 1st Welsh Regiment who were killed at the Battle of Driefontein, on March 10th, one of them being "5630 Private T. Griffith, native of Festiniog. North Wales. His father lives at Glasfryn House, Festiniog." Would this be the same T. Griffith(s) as above, even though the fathers' details are different? Maentwrog and Festiniog are about 3 miles apart.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thomas H. Griffiths, K.I.A. 10.3.1900, at Driefontein 6 years 10 months ago #53381

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Berenice
Thank you for another interesting post. I am always impressed by the fact that British war memorials are so well cared for, and often have fresh wreaths with them. I expect this also applies in other civilised parts of the world.
Regards
Brett

Thomas H. Griffiths, K.I.A. 10.3.1900, at Driefontein 6 years 10 months ago #53399

• BereniceUK

Brett Hendey wrote: I expect this also applies in other civilised parts of the world.

Certainly in Canada, from what I've seen.

Thomas H. Griffiths, K.I.A. 10.3.1900, at Driefontein 6 years 10 months ago #53407

• Brett Hendey
I am sure that it also applies in Australia. A friend in Perth often sends me reports about how proud Australians are of their military heritage. Her latest messages have been on the subject of ANZAC Day. They included photos of a parade in a NSW town where her family originated. There a cousin marched in a parade wearing copies of her father's medals. (A RAAF WWII DFC group - the cousin has the originals mounted for display in his house.) My friend did the same in Perth, where South Africans and Rhodesians are particularly well represented in the local population.

Brett

Thomas H. Griffiths, K.I.A. 10.3.1900, at Driefontein 6 years 10 months ago #53419

• BereniceUK
Perhaps many Canadians and Australians (and New Zealanders too, I'd guess) have an understanding of the importance of their countries' involvement in, particularly, the Great War, and the emergence as nations in their own right, and no longer British colonies, partly as a result of so many from those two countries dying then.

Thomas H. Griffiths, K.I.A. 10.3.1900, at Driefontein 6 years 10 months ago #53421

• Brett Hendey
That was also once true of South Africa.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds