Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bootle, Lancashire 6 years 8 months ago #54914

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2300
and now in the administrative county of Merseyside. It's important to remember that Bootle is not, and never has been, part of Liverpool. It's always been a town in its own right.

OUR VOLUNTEERS.
The valour shown by our Volunteers throughout the country since we became involved in the Transvaal War, has aroused admiration on all hands, and it is gratifying to find that the wave of patriotism has drawn a magnificent response from our own Bootle companies of the 4th V.B., The King's (Liverpool Regiment), the following thirteen members having volunteered for the front, and have been sworn in for special service : - Capt. Kyrke-Smith (Waterloo), who will go out as lieutenant ; Sergeant F. George (Bootle), who will go as corporal ; and Privates E. Hughan (Walton), E. J. Williams (Litherland), W. Youd (Bootle), W. Croall (Seaforth), J. Quigg (Litherland), J. Donelly (Kirkdale), J. Bourke (Litherland), W. Duncan (Seaforth), H. Mercer (Bootle), C. D. Jones (Kirkdale), and J. Rose (Bootle). Since the close of last year's operations there has been a great acquisition to the strength of the Bootle companies, 48 men having joined previous to the town's meeting last week and 53 since, making a total of 101. This number brings the Bootle companies to 316, or 16 over their full strength.

Bootle Times, 27 January 1900

BOOTLE RESERVISTS AND VOLUNTEERS.

COMMEMORATION TABLET.

UNVEILING CEREMONY BY THE MAYOR.

A pleasant and interesting ceremony took place at the Bootle Town Hall on Tuesday evening, when the Mayor (Alderman P. Ascroft), in the presence of a number of ladies and gentlemen, unveiled a handsome brass tablet, which has been erected in the corridor of the Town Hall, bearing the names of local Volunteers and Reservists who took part in the South African War. The tablet, which is embedded in a handsome frame of black marble, bears the following inscription: - "This tablet was erected by public subscription to commemorate the noble and patriotic services rendered to their country by the undermentioned men of Bootle and neighbourhood during the South African War, 1900-1902, particularly in the following engagements - " Then follow the names of the Volunteers and Reservists, together with their regiments, and the principal engagements they took part in, a blank space being reserved for the remainder of the names of the local men who have not yet returned from the front. Inscribed on the bottom of the tablet are the names of Peter Ascroft, Mayor (chairman); T. M. Wills, Brigade-Surgeon Lieutenant-Colonel (hon. treasurer); and W. T. Oversby, captain (hon. secretary). Amongst those present at the unveiling ceremony, in addition to the Mayor and Mayoress, were Councillors T. Bell, W. H. Clemmey, and Dr. Clemmey; Lieutenant W. J. W. Bruce (Naval Reserve), Dr. Wills, Captain Oversby, Captain and Quartermaster Miller, Mr. T. Meyrick, Mr. H. E. L. Grundy, and Mr. F. Fairweather. Captain Oversby, the secretary, in opening the proceedings, said the committee trusted that the result of their labours would give every satisfaction to the subscribers to the public fund, which was opened some months back for the purpose of giving the local Volunteers and Reservists a right royal welcome when they came home from the front. After meeting several times the committee decided that the form of the reception should be as follows: - A public thanksgiving service, a public dinner, the presentation of illuminated addresses to the men, and the erection of a brass tablet, so that the record of their deeds might be perpetuated as long as Bootle remained. (Hear, hear) All these had been accomplished, and they still had sufficient funds to entertain those who had not yet come home. (Hear, hear) In the name of the subscribers, the Mayor then unveiled the tablet amidst loud applause. In the course of a short but appropriate speech his Worship referred to what had been done by the townspeople of Bootle on behalf of the wives and families of those who had gone to the front, and he expressed a fervent hope that the remainder of the Volunteers and Reservists would be spared to return home. (Hear, hear) - Mr. T. Davies proposed a vote of thanks to the Mayor, and referred to the very great interest he had taken in the movement. - Dr. Wills seconded the motion, which was enthusiastically carried. At a meeting of the Bootle Volunteer and reservists Reception Committee, held just previous to the unveiling ceremony, the following resolution was passed: - "That the committee, having noted the remarks of Mr. W. H. Parry at the last council meeting, strongly resent the same, and treat the matter with silent contempt.

A MEMENTO.
_____

To Bootle's noble heros, who at their country's call
Left home, and wife, and children; gave up their prospects all;
And donned their arms and khaki, though many a heart was sad,
And sailed for war-swept Africa! They were the best we had.

To them belongs the glory, those Bootle boys so true,
Who valued life so cheaply when there was work to do,
And helped to swell the number of vict'ries nobly won,
And we must not forget them for work so grandly done.

God bless those home-grown heros, and grant them their reward;
Long life to tell their story of bayonet, fire, and sword.
When vict'ry in the balance just wavered either way,
And none could tell if Boer or they wold win from day to day.

Yet stubbornly, and inch by inch, they drove their foemen back,
The Bootle boys were in the van, and showed they did not lack
For grit and courage. Everyone had proved it to the hilt,
That not a heart was touched with fear, neath coloured coat or kilt.

At Spion Kop and Peters Hill, Laings Nek and Belfast too,
They stuck like leeches to their guns, and showed what they could do,
And kept old England's flag afloat, upheld her glorious name,
And reaped a country's gratitude, and hard and well-earned fame.
TERRANCE HARDY.

The Crosby Herald, Saturday, November 9, 1901

LIEUT. A. KYRKE SMITH 4TH V.B. THE KING'S LIVERPOOL REGT.
CORPL. F. GEORGE "
PVTE. W. CROALL "
" J. BURKE "
" W. DUNCAN "
" J. DONNELLY "
" E. HUCHAN "
" H. MERCER "
" J. QUIGG "
" J. ROSE "
" E.G. WILLIAMS "
" J. YOUD "
" C. JONES "

The above were all at Wakkerstroom, Laing's Nek, Amersfoort, Ermelo, Van Wyk's Vlei, Bergendal, Balmanutha, and Machado-dorp.

PVTE. J. BOWDEN 5TH V.B. THE KING'S LIVERPOOL REGT.
" J. DOYLE "
" SIMPSON "
" UNWIN "

The above were all at Bethlehem, and Belfast &c.

TROOPER T. FAIRWEATHER KITCHENER'S HORSE
" H.G. JACKSON IMPERIAL YEOMANRY
RESVT. D.W. ROSE 6TH DRAGOON GUARDS KIMBERLEY, PAARDEBERG
" P.C. J. HOLOHAN 1ST SCOTS GUARDS MODDER RIVER, DRIEFONTEIN
" P.C. T. HENDERSON 2ND BATT. SCOTS GUARDS WITTEBERGEN
" P.C. T. BURNES 1ST GRENADIER GUARDS BIDDULPHSBERG, WITTEBERGEN
REVD. CHARLES SWARBRICK, CHAPLAIN
RESVT.P.C. T. DURNION 2ND SCOTS GUARDS WITTEBERGEN, CAPE COLONY
SAPR. J.A. CAMPBELL 3RD TEL BATT ROYAL ENGRS.

LCE. CORPL. H.W. JONES 2nd V.B. THE KING'S LIVERPOOL REGT.
TROOPR. G.C. BARNES IMPERIAL YEOMANRY
" B.J. ACKERLEY "
" A.H. HUYTON KITCHENER'S HORSE
SERGT. T. LONGWORTH 3RD KING'S ROYAL RIFLES
PVTE. J. RYLATT 1ST DERBYSHIRE REGT.
" D. DONOHUE 3RD BATTALION ROYAL LANC. REGT.
" E. PALMER 3RD GRENADIER GUARDS
" A. SMY 2ND GRENADIER GUARDS
" C.T. ELLIOTT 2ND ROYAL WEST KENT REGT.
" T. WOODS R. F. ARTILLERY
" W. DRAPER 1ST SOUTRH LANC. REGT.
" MILNE ARGYLL & SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
" J. KIRK R. F. ARTILLERY

" J. WILD 1ST SOUTH LANC. REGT.

2ND SECTION 4TH V.B. THE KING'S LIVERPOOL REGT.
BLOCK HOUSE DUTY AND GUARDING LINES OF COMMUNICATION

SERGT. A. E. ASHTON PVTE. E. ROBERTSON
" W. ADAMSON " G. MORRIS
" A. POCE " W. WRIGHT
CORPL. W. GREY " J. EDWARDS
" E. MASTERS " J. LAMB
CYCST. J. DAVIES " W. RICHARDSON
" J. WILLIAMS " P. GEE
PVTE. F. WILLIAMS " J. JOHNSON
" J. WATSON 8TH V.B.(SCOTTISH)
KING'S LPOOL REGT.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, SWB, Walton Lass

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bootle, Lancashire 6 years 8 months ago #54915

• BereniceUK
DEPARTURE OF BOOTLE RESERVISTS FOR THE WAR.

An impressive ceremony took place at the police parade on Friday afternoon, when the Mayor and Mayoress of Bootle (Councillor and Miss Lamb), accompanied by a number of other ladies and gentlemen, assembled at the Police Buildings to bid farewell to Constables Henderson, Durnion, Burnes, and Smy, who have been called to the seat of war. Addressing the men the Mayor said - I was very glad indeed to respond to the invitation of the Chief-constable to see you, and to let you know how much we appreciate your ready response to the call of duty in the hour of your country's need. You are few in numbers, for the Bootle police force is not a large one ; but you are four Guardsmen of excellent stamina, and of the highest character. You will give such an account of yourselves, if you are called into action, that we in Bootle will continue to be proud of our Reservists. You are aware that two of your confreres were among the first of the Reservists called out. One of them, of the Grenadier Guards, put himself so much in evidence at the battle of Belmont that he became a billet for four bullets. We learn that three of them have been extracted, and that he is progressing favourably at the hospital at Orange River. We hope you will not have to face such showers as were flying at Belmont, but we do know that whatever the need you will rise to the occasion like Britishers always have done. It must be some consolation to you to know that when you return your vacant places are always ready. Your arm need never be weakened, nor your nerves unstrung, by any thought of anxiety as to the future comfort of your wives and bairns. Nothing can make up to them for your absence, but as far as we stay-at-home folks can do to help them, will be done cheerfully. We consider it the least we can do to thus show our high esteem for your services. We all wish you God-speed, honour, and a safe return. The Mayoress desires to present to each of you a little token of her regard, and she trusts you may not require to face anything worse than this "pipe of peace." - The Mayoress then presented each man with one pound of tobacco, a pipe, and pouch. The police band was present, and played a selection of appropriate music during the ceremony.

Bootle Times, 30 December 1899

LETTERS FROM BOOTLE RESERVISTS AT THE WAR.

Almost as soon as the war broke out in South Africa two army reservists, who were members of the borough police force, were called up, and they shortly afterwards proceeded to the front. One was Private Ernest Palmer, of the 3rd Grenadier Guards, and the other Private John Holohan, of the Scots Guards. Both men were in the engagement at Belmont, and Palmer was wounded. The following letters from them addressed to friends in England will be read with interest. The first is from Private Holohan, dated Modder River, 30th November, 1899. He writes: - I send these few lines hoping that they may find you in good health, as I am at present, but I have had some narrow escapes. Poor Palmer got wounded, but not very bad. I have been in the fighting lines in Belmont. We had hard fighting for a bit, but we drove the Boers off very soon. The artillery did good work. Rooilaagte, the last one at Modder River, was an awful fight, as I suppose you have read about it by this. Our fellows suffered terribly. When we were formed up I was in the first line, and we walked along talking to one another, not thinking of anything until we got about 200 yards off them, when they opened fire on us. They did mow us down, and I thought my end had come right enough. We had to retire, and the wounded had to lie there all night, as nothing could be done for them until we drove the Boers out. The Boers fired at the wounded, the White Cross and the doctors. They are a bad lot. We expect a couple more fights, one at Kimberley, and then finish for a bit. We got some awful hardships sometimes, 16 or 18 hours without anything to eat. It is very hot in the day time, and very cold at night.
The following letter has been received from Palmer by his parents, who reside in Berkshire: -
"My dear Mother and Father, - Just a few lines to you, hoping they will find you quite well and all at home, as I am sorry to say I have been in the wars this time. I expect that you see my name in the papers. I was wounded in the stomach, and both thighs, but I am pleased to say that I am going on all right, and I shall soon be out of hospital again and up at the front to have my own back with the Boers. It was an awful fight, I can tell you. Corporal Fraser, No. 5,796, who was down at Lambourn, was killed close by me ; our company was cut to pieces. I cannot tell you much news, as this is all the paper I have, wishing you all a merry Christmas with love to all. Believe me, your loving son, ERNEST."
On the same day, December 2nd, Palmer wrote to a friend in Bootle, dated from the camp at Orange River. He states that he was hit by a shell, and had four small bullet wounds in his right leg. He was getting on all right, and hoped to be out again at Christmas to take his revenge. The doctor was going to take a bullet out of his leg on the following day. The worst cases of the wounded were taken up to Cape Town, and it was dreadful to hear their cries, which made him think he was very lucky to have escaped so well. Only two out of his battalion had escaped without being wounded in the battle at Belmont. It was very different from the Soudan campaign. They had to capture the positions at the point of the bayonet, which was very hard work.

Bootle Times, 30 December 1899

BOOTLE MEN AT THE WAR.
LETTER FROM MODDER RIVER.

The following interesting letter, written by J. Galvin, a Bootle man, of H.M.S. Doris, stationed at South Africa, has been received by his mother, who resides in Olivia-street, and has several sons in the army and navy. Galvin is not yet 20 years of age : -
NAVAL BRIGADE.
Modder River, December 18th,
South Africa.
Dear Mother, - Just a few lines to you, hoping they will find you in good health, as it leaves me at present. Excuse me for not telling you before this that I had landed. We have been landed close on a month now. I suppose you have seen the accounts of the fighting in the papers? The first battle we had was four days after we landed at Belmont. We were marching till eleven at night, and started at two next morning. We came across the enemy, about 7,000 strong, in the hills. It took us about five hours to clear them out. Our loss was about 100 killed and wounded ; theirs was over 900. Our brigade lost no men in this turn-out ; they were all soldiers. The next battle was the Battle of Graspan. They divided us, and put half of us in the fighting line, and at our guns there was 50 of us Bluejackets, and 200 Marines charged a hill with about 5,000 Boers at the top; but we made them retire. They must have lost over 700 men, while our loss was about 200, 150 being out of our brigade. There is just sufficient men to man the guns. We have had telegrams from the Queen, Admiral Lord Chamberlain, commending us on our taking the hill at Graspan. Our next was the battle of Modder River. We were fighting for thirteen hours before the Boers retired. Our loss was about 500 killed and wounded ; enemy's unknown. We had another battle further up the river the day before yesterday, but they will take a lot of beating and shifting from here, as it is their last stand. When we beat them we can walk right into Kimberley, but I don't think it will be before Christmas ; but I hope it is. I have not had a proper Christmas out here yet. We lost very heavy at this last place, about 1,500 men. I don't know the Boer loss, yet it must be very heavy. So I will now conclude, with best love to all at home. Good-night. A merry Christmas and a happy new year. write to the ship.

Bootle Times, 20 January 1900

THE 4TH V.B. SPECIAL SERVICE SECTION.
COMPLIMENTARY SUPPER.
PRESENTATION TO CAPTAIN KYRKE-SMITH.

On Monday evening a very interesting gathering took place at the City Hall, Eberle-street, Liverpool, when the officers of the 4th V.B.K.L.R. entertained to supper the special service section of the battalion who have been chosen for active service in South Africa. Colonel J. W. de Silva (commanding officer of the battalion) presided, and was supported by Major J. J. Thomas (1st V.B.) (captain of the Liverpool Special Service Company), Captain Kyrke-Smith (lieutenant of the 4th V.B. Section), and the following officers of the battalion : - Lieut. Colonel T. B. Walker, Major J. C. Eaton, Captains H. Concanon (mess president), V. A. Hampshire, A. F. Knox, W. H. Stott, W. Denton, T. T. Vernon, J. C. Ward, and W. T. Oversby ; Lieutenants E. R. Cookson, J. A. Marsh, O. B. Johnston, T. B. S. Clarke, E. H. Wharton Davis, J. W. Fisher, P. Hemelryck, G. B. Bingham, and J. Macfie ; Quartermaster A. M. Miller, Brigade-Surgeon Lieut.-Colonel W. J. Fleetwood, Surgeon Lieut.-Colonel W. S. Limrick, and the Rev. Wynne Williams, B.A.. (chaplain).
The following ex-officers were present : - Lieutenant-Colonel John Pilkington (late commanding officer), Brigade-Surgeon Lieut.-Colonel T. M. Wills, Majors C. C. Leslie and W. Gerald Barker ; also Messrs. John Duncan, W. Roberts, E. L. Biddlecombe, A. E. Chevalier, and H. Kyrke-Smith, and Captain Galsworthy (Board of Trade). In addition to Captain A. Kyrke-Smith, the following, who compose the Service Section, and who all wore the khaki dress, were present : - Sergeant D. Swift, Corporal F. George, Privates W. Allen, H. Ball, J. Bourke, E. Brown, G. Currie, W. Croall, W. Duncan, J. Donnelly, F. Gibson, J. Harold, J. Heaps, J. Hickey, E. Hughan, J. Kitchen, H. Mercer, E. Pedder, J. Quigg, J. Ross, S. Smith, E. J. Williams, J. Williams, J. Wilson, F. Warren, J. Youd, J. Annesley, and C. Jones. Major-General Thackwell telegraphed his inability to be present, and wishing the Special Section every success and a safe return.
Colonel de Silva proposed the toast of "Captain Kyrke-Smith and the Section of the 4th who were going to the front," and in doing so observed that, while Captain Kyrke-Smith was one of their youngest captains, they had the fullest confidence in him. After long years of studious work the battalion had been called upon to furnish a section for service abroad, and now that the time of trial had come the men had shown that they were worthy of the time, trouble, and expense that had been spent on them. (Hear, hear.) Those who were leaving them were, he was sure, going to reflect great credit on the battalion to which they belonged, and the conduct of such Volunteers would not only raise the service in the estimation of the public, but would increase the wholesome respect in which the British Empire was held throughout the civilised world. (Hear, hear.) After having eulogised the fine spirit which had animated the Volunteers of Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, Colonel de Silva, on behalf of the officers, presented to Captain Kyrke-Smith a handsome repeating watch. The healths of the Special Service Section and Captain Kyrke-Smith were drunk with musical honours.
Captain Kyrke-Smith, in responding to the toast, thanked the officers for their valuable present, and said that he did not think the battalion would ever be ashamed of the men he was taking out with him. He knew that they would faithfully do their duty, and he hoped he would be able to do his duty himself. (Hear, hear.) He trusted the 4th V.B. would keep a soft place in their hearts for those who went to South Africa, and hoped that they would all get back safe and sound, and some of them with the V.C. (Hear, hear.)
Sergeant Swift responded on behalf of the men of the special section.
Lieutenant-Colonel T. B. Walker proposed "The Visitors," and paid a warm tribute to Major J. J. Thomas, to whom he wished good luck, good health, and a safe return from South Africa. (Hear, hear.) He also expressed the thanks of the battalion to Mr. Kyrke-Smith, who has insured the lives of all the men in the section.
Major Thomas, in acknowledging the toast, said he felt sure that the section would justify all the best hopes of their friends. They had not volunteered in an idle moment. They intended to do their duty as soldiers of the Queen, for they felt that this was a crisis in the history of the country when all her Majesty's subjects, whether Regulars, Volunteers, or from whatever rank they were drawn, ought to come forward and manfully do their duty. (Hear, hear.) The men were wanted, and the men were sending out from Liverpool were Volunteers of the right sort. (Hear, hear.) He assured every member of each of the four sections that in their commanding officer they had got a friend, and a personal friend. (Hear, hear.) - Mr. Kyrke-Smith also responded to the toast.
Captain Concanon afterwards proposed "The Ladies," to which Captain Vernon responded. Colonel Fleetwood followed with "Old Members of the Battalion" to which Colonel John Pilkington replied.
During the evening selections of music were rendered by the band of the battalion (under Mr. Hubbard) and others.

Bootle Times, 3 February 1900

Of the men who were reported as making up the Special Service Section, the following didn't go out, according to the roll of honour in Bootle Town Hall -
Sergeant Swift, Privates W. Allen, H. Ball, E. Brown, G. Currie, F. Gibson, J. Harold, J. Heaps, J. Hickey, J. Kitchen, E. Pedder, S. Smith, J. Williams, J. Wilson, F. Warren, and J. Annesley.

BOOTLE MEN AT THE WAR.
LETTER FROM THE WOUNDED GUARD.

The following letter has been received from Private Palmer, of Bootle, who was wounded at the Battle of Belmont, by Detective-Inspector Stewart in reply to a letter written by him when he heard that the Guard was wounded : -
No.5,679, 3rd Battalion, Grenadier Guards,
1st Brigade,
1st Division,
South Africa, 3rd January, 1900,
From Private E. Palmer to Detective-Inspector Stewart, Bootle.
Many thanks for your kind letter. I am pleased to tell you that I am getting better of my wounds which I received in action at the battle of Belmont on 23rd November. I hope soon to be all right again to pay off old scores with the Boers. I am pleased to tell you Holohan was all right the last I heard of him. I hardly know what to think of the Boers. Some of them are very bad shots, not so good as has been said ; or they could have picked us all off everyone at Belmont. I wish we had been in their position, they would never have moved us. We have a very hard position now to take at Magersfontein before Kimberley is reached, but I think Lord Methuen will work round them all right. The Boers hardly know what to think of us now for waiting so long at Modder River. The Boer papers say we are afraid to start again. It is right what you say about the Boers ; they don't like the bayonet at all. We did manage to bayonet a few of them. I only wish they would stand up to it, and so does every soldier here ; it would relieve our minds a great deal. The general opinion here is that they will give in as soon as Kimberley is relieved. The Orange Free State Boers are tired of it already, but the Transvaal Boers say they will shoot them all if they attempt to give in before they have reached the Table Mountains, Capetown. Their papers are full of what they are going to do when they get down there. Wishing all the members of the force a happy and prosperous New Year.
I remain,
Yours truly,
PRIVATE E. PALMER.

A Bootle Fireman "Ordered South."

For two years Henry J. Jackson has been a member of the Bootle Fire Brigade. He is also an ambulance man, and stands high in the esteem of his fellow firemen. When, therefore, as a member of the Cheshire Yeomanry, he was selected for service in South Africa, his comrades decided to present him with a token of their goodwill. A subscription list was got up, with the result that Superintendent Roberts this week presented Jackson with a gold medal, his initials being engraved on one side, the other side bearing a suitable inscription. Jackson set sail with other Yeomen in the Lake Erie on Wednesday. Rising to the occasion, the Brigade donned their uniform, and drove their hero - clad in khaki - on the manual to the place of embarkation at Liverpool, the departure being witnessed by a crowd of spectators.
To-morrow (Sunday) morning the section of the 4th V.B. King's (Liverpool) Regiment selected for active service, together with the Bootle companies, will attend Divine Service at Christ Church, Bootle. The section will be in khaki.

Waterloo & Crosby Herald, 3 February 1900

THE DISASTER TO THE HIGHLAND BRIGADE.

2835 Private Andrew Milne, 1st Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, writes from the Camp, Modder River, on December 21, to Mr. F. Woods, 45, Croxteth-road, Bootle.
At the time of writing we (the Highland Brigade of the Bedond Division of Buller's force), are encamped on the ground of one of our greatest victories since the outbreak of the war on Modder River, the site of our camp being directly in front of the almost impregnable position of Magersfontein, occupied and strongly fortified by a very large force of Boers, and distant about three or four miles from our outposts. Up to date we have fought two very severe engagements, losing very heavily in both encounters, the total casualties for our regiment alone being considerably over two hundred killed and wounded including one colonel and two officers killed and two officers wounded. Our first taste of powder was at Modder River, when we were hotly engaged for fourteen hours, being subjected to a heavy fire from the enemy entrenched on the other side at a distance of about 600 yards. Coupled with this was the scorching and blistering rays of a hot summer sun, which played sad havoc with the backs of the Highlanders' legs, lying as we were on our stomachs all the time, and scarcely daring to move for fear the enemy should take the advantage and put a bullet into our exposed parts. At last, however, our superior training told on the Boers, and they were off as fast as their horses could carry them. Many of our fellows were picked off whilst crossing the river, a party of the enemy having gone round for that purpose. However, we reached the other side, our big guns covering the advance, and in a very short space of time the road was clear, and we had won a brilliant victory. Next morning our artillery fired a few shells, but getting no response we advanced, and all being clear we prepared for a few days' rest in bivouac. We rested a week or so, and then on Sunday afternoon we advanced towards the enemy's position at Magersfontein, and halted about 1½ miles out, where we remained for the night. At midnight the Highland Brigade was roused quietly, and orders were issued for our advance on the position under cover of darkness, our object being to try and surprise the Boers on the right flank, and whilst all their attentions were divided in that quarter the remainder of the division was to attack on the other flank, and then force them to retire. Everything went smoothly enough until about 200 yards off the foot of the hill, when we halted preparatory to opening the ranks for an assault. Scarcely had the command "halt" been given when a thorough storm of bullets pinged out from the enemy's position, dropping dozens of our poor fellows in the front. We, however, managed to open out a bit, but everything was in confusion, and men were dropping like hail, so we were forced by sheer outnumbering to retire as best we could till out of rifle range. We reformed again, and although we did some heavy execution we failed to take the position. In all our brigade lost 800 killed and wounded, the Black Watch numbering 300 of this number alone. Our general was killed in this affair, whilst numbers of the troops were stuck fast in the barbed wire entanglements placed by the wily Boer to check our advance. Needless to say, these poor fellows were a target for the enemy's marksmen. Very few were fortunate to escape, and those who were were taken prisoners - about 40 in all being in their hands. We took a large number of their men also, whilst their losses, as estimated by themselves, exceeded 700 killed. The fight raged all day long, shot and shell flying in all directions, an occasional shot finding its billet in some poor fellow's body. At last all firing ceased, so we prepared to rest for the night. Our naval gun, firing lyddite shell, did terrible execution, while our artillery also played sad havoc with them. We are now awaiting the arrival of another division ere we again try to storm the position, as it would be sheer madness to advance without being reinforced, our number being sadly cut down, four separate actions being fought by the division since its arrival, although we have only participated in two.
I am afraid my news will be very stale by this time, as doubtless you will have read a full graphic account of it in the home papers. Certainly someone is to blame for the cutting up of the Highlanders, but of course discipline forbids us poor mortals from expressing an opinion, at least while we wear the uniform. All sorts of rumours are current here, but of course they are swallowed with a certain amount of reserve. This much I do know - everyone is heart sick of the whole affair, and wish it was over for good, but I suppose that a few months must come and go ere this is achieved. I am pleased to say that so far I have passed through without a scratch, although having some very narrow escapes.

DINNER TO LANCE-CORPORAL H. JONES, OF BOOTLE.

Bootle has played a prominent part in the enthusiastic send-off given to many of the troops who have embarked here to join the British Army in South Africa, but when the volunteers came forward ready to take their places at the front and the Government accepted them as a special active service contingent, the war appeared to draw perceptibly nearer home and as soon as our friends assume the khaki uniform we are touched by the self-denying patriotism and seek to do them honour. A scene which was certainly unique in the annals of our town was witnessed on Tuesday evening at the Masonic Hall, when a farewell dinner was given by a number of friends to Lance Corporal Herbert Jones of the 2nd V.B. The King's Liverpool Regiment, who is going to the front as a private. The guest of the evening was accompanied by three friends, Privates C. Walker, Richardson and Chamberlain, who also go out as members of the special service corps and all appeared in khaki uniform. Mr. H. E. L. Grundy presided during the evening and the friends present included Sergt. Major Elmer, Jas. Cooke, E. Hutchfield, Jones, F. A. Davies, Harry Ward, G. J. Hancock, Oswald Roberts, Ambrose Byford, Joseph Wrigley, Alfred Blundell, Henry Matthews, J. H. Perry, John Griffiths, Wm. Ellis, Edward Box, John Hughes, Arthur Hughes, Edward Hughes, Richard Taylor, James Ritchie, Alex Nisbet, Alex Folland, Captain Johanneson, Sam Bolshaw, John Webster, Albert Bailey, Fred Creaton, H. Pennington, W. Nelson, W. Watkins, T. Williams, Arthur Davies and George Newman. An excellent repast was served and thoroughly enjoyed, after which a toast list was gone through, the speeches being pleasantry interspersed with vocal music, principally of a patriotic character, to suit the occasion. The usual loyal toast was given from the chair in a few loyal and hearty sentences, and the company honoured it with a remarkable outburst of enthusiasm, which was a fair indication of the spirit pervading the entire proceedings, the National Anthem being sung by Mr. G. J. Hancock. "The Army and Navy" was next given by Mr. Nisbet, and received with much heartiness. The chairman then rose to propose the toast of the evening, the health of Private H. Jones. He said it was very gratifying to see young men, especially those hailing from Bootle, coming forward and offering their services to a cause which the whole of the British Empire had taken up with enthusiasm. He thought it redounded to the credit of the young men of this country that they were prepared to sacrifice their social position as well as their business and go out, and it was creditable to the other people and to the whole of the British Empire that they were assisting to deliver their sons from the oppression of the Boers, who were doing their best to drive the English out of the British Colonies, an action which all true Britishers would resent and do their best to prevent. Mr. Pennington supported the toast in a patriotic speech, and the sentiment was honoured amid a scene of enthusiasm. In his reply Private Jones expressed his very sincere thanks for the hearty reception accorded to him. As a Liverpool volunteer he said he and his comrades would do their duty at the seat of war, and try to bring into prominence the name of the 1st King's Regiment now in Ladysmith. (Applause.) If they had to fight they would do it to the best of their ability. He was pleased to be with them that evening, and hoped it would not be the last time they would spend a pleasant evening together. (Hear, hear.) Private C. Walker said he was a comrade of Private Jones and they meant to go through together. When the regulations first came out there were 87 applications in their regiment for the 25 places allowed. They were all anxious to see active service and they were ready to go to the front if they liked to send them. (Loud applause.) Other toasts were given and the musical programme was most enjoyable. The arrangements for the dinner were in the hands of Mr. W. Ward and Mr. G. J. Hancock, the latter acting as hon. secretary.

Bootle Times, 10 February 1900

BOOTLE MEN AT THE WAR.

Private J. Holohan, of the 1st Scots Giuards, and a member of the Bootle Borough Police, in a letter to Mr. D. M. Cohen, Bootle, dated Modder River Camp, January 1, says - I have had some very trying times of it since I last saw you, and have had some marvellous escapes, having been in four engagements. I had the pleasure of sending a few up in the air with the bayonet at Belmont, being in the first line that went up the big hill. We gave them a surprise there. The Boers had a splendid position, and if we had been about twenty minutes later they would have butchered an awful lot of our troops. We almost got to the bottom of the hill before they knew, and had to run right up to the top through a blinding shower of bullets and shells, which never stopped till the cold steel shifted them.
The people talk about the Boers being good shots, but I will give you an example. At Modder River I was in the front line when we almost walked into their position, never thinking the enemy were so near, as the way was reported clear. Suddenly they opened a heavy cross fire on us. Being in horseshoe shape we all dropped down at once. On our right there was a cover, so we were ordered to rush into it. I stopped until about the last, jumped up, and ran about 150 yards across their line of fire, and never got a scratch. They also played a Maxim gun on me. They should have wiped nearly half the battalion out. We are 700 miles from Capetown, and it is a very wild country we have been through. The country is in an awful state on account of the war. Some poor people will suffer by it. We are only 24 miles from Kimberley, and I expect we will have to fight two awful battles before we get there. The Boers are in sight of our camp now, strongly entrenched about 16 miles long.

Bootle Times, 10 February 1900

LOCAL MEN AT THE WAR.

LETTER FROM MODDER RIVER.
TALBOT AT MODDER RIVER.

A letter has been received by a friend in Bootle from B. F. C. Talbot, of the 2nd Special Ammunition Column, Lord Methuen's Field Force, Modder River, under date 13th January 1900. Rough Rider Talbot was formerly drill instructor of the 87th Field Battery at Seaforth. He was also instructor to the Bootle Mounted Police, and during his stay here he made many friends both in Bootle and Seaforth. He writes : - Just a line to let you know Iam still in the land of the living, thank God. I suppose you heard of my sudden departure for this ill-forgotten country. I would have paid you a visit before leaving only time would not allow me to. I was warned on Tuesday night at 8.30 p.m. and off on Wednesday. Well, I am writing, but what to say I hardly know. We get but very little news here. We could gather a bit at Orange River, but this place takes the cake, and I say roll on England. I have seen quite enough of this war and country too. I saw Belmont, Graspan, and Modder River and Magersfontein engagements, but it is no use grumbling. I suppose there is a little more to be seen yet when General Roberts joins us. I suppose you read all about the grand presents our troops are supposed to get. Well, not one ounce have we seen, and nobody seems to know what has become of them. We have not even received the Queen's present, so that will give you an idea of the state of things that does not appear in the paper. I am rather afraid this lot will be shown up in "Truth" when some of our troops return to England. Our grand Christmas dinner was a bit of boiled mutton, and our luxuries were a bathe in the river. Magersfontein was the place we retired from, where the Highland Brigade lost so many. It is a terrible position, and we have got to take it when we advance again at all cost, which means a terrible cost of life. Well, there was some blunder, or we would have taken it when we first attacked and the Highlanders marched to their graves in quarter columns. It was either the General never knew the whereabouts of the Boers, or the guide led him astray. I can't stop to write any more. The wind is just starting to rise, and that means you must get your face under cover ; the sand here is simply blinding. So I shall say good-bye for the present, and believe me to remain your friend, F. C. Talbot.

Bootle Times, 17 February 1900

BOOTLE POLICE COURT.
WEDNESDAY.
Before Mr. . Bond and Alderman B. Cain.
TURNING BACK FROM THE WAR.
John Francis Maguire alias Joseph Ryan was charged with being an absentee from the 3rd south Lancashire Regiment stationed at Warrington. Constable George Brown stated that on the previous day he saw the prisoner in Regent-road, and knowing him to be an absentee from his regiment, he asked him for his pass and afterwards brought him to the police station, and charged him. The Chief-constable (Mr. J. Cumming) informed the bench that the man had been on the way to South Africa ; he had got as far as Ireland and returned. He was committed to await escort and the usual award was allowed to the officer for his arrest.

Bootle Times, 17 February 1900

Bootle. - Letter from the Front.
Private H. Burgess writes from Klokfontein, near Modder River, to a friend in Bootle, under the date of January 25th : -
"We live well, considering the amount of troops out here. We get fresh bread and meat every day, jam and cheese now and again, and rum twice a week. The public is very good to keep sending us knives, caps, socks, jerseys, and other things. The Queen sent the chocolate out, and I sent it to M
till I get home......If you get wet here you only have to stand in the sun till you dry, and when a sandstorm comes put your head in a hole till it goes past. If you get no water to wash your face with you have to wash it with sand......I have not been undressed properly for five months."

Waterloo & Crosby Herald, 24 February 1900

Bootle, Lancashire 6 years 8 months ago #54916

• BereniceUK
THE RELIEF OF LADYSMITH.
REJOICING AT BOOTLE.

News from the seat of war is always received with the keenest interest in the borough, and when a message was flashed from the city on Thursday morning that Ladysmith was relieved there were signs of rejoicing everywhere. The statement reached Bootle a little before ten o'clock just previous to the assembling of the magistrates and officials at the Borough Police Court to commence the business of the morning. It spread so rapidly that it was known to many before the magistrates took their seats, but the Chief-constable (Mr. J. Cumming) made a public announcement of the welcome news, and Mr. J. Wells, the presiding justice, said he was very pleased to hear it and he trusted it would lead to a speedy termination of the war. The Union Jack was unfurled on the Town Hall, the police buildings and many other places in the borough. The Rev. W. W. Mason at once visited St. Mary's Schools and addressing the children announced the fact that Ladysmith was at last relieved, and afterwards allowed them to take a holiday in celebration of the happy event. Christ Church Schools and St. John's Schools were also closed for the day after the children had sung the National Anthem and given cheers for her Majesty, her generals, and troops. Patriotic scenes were also witnessed at the several Bootle Board Schools, the scholars singing with great enjoyment loyal and patriotic refrains. At the Seaforth Battery and the Seaforth Barracks the good news from the war was received with an enthusiasm which the importance of the occasion demanded.

Bootle Times, 3 March 1900

THE WAR FUND.
BOOTLE ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS.

Amounts already acknowledged £1,914 11s. ; Bootle Baseball Club, 1s. 5d. ; Trinity Presbyterian Church Band of Hope, per G. Southcomb, £3 ; John Irwin, Sons and Co., Agents and Connections, £3 ; Supply Stores, Seaforth, per J. Chew, 8s. 6d. ; Hy. Williams, Langton Castle Hotel (box 192), £3 os. 6d. ; Gordon Jamieson, Grove Hotel (box 76), £1 15s. 9d. ; employes S. Webster, per Hy. Lever, 18s. 3d. ; Bootle Fire Brigade, 14th weekly, 16s. ; Bootle Police, 16th weekly, 13s. 5d. ; employes Lamb Bros., 16th weekly, £1 7s. ; employes James Webster and Bro., £2 5s. 3d. ; Hope of Bootle Lodge, I.O.G.T. (balance of Burial Anniversary Social), per J. Easton, £2 5s. 7d. ; per L.C. and Midland Bank : Employes of Allan Line Engine Works, 14th and 15th weekly, £2 6s. ; employes Brown and Wallace, £1 2s. ; R. Lunt, 1s. - £3 9s. ; E. Hutchinson, 3rd weekly, £5 ; Cunard Band, per J. Corcoran, £8 2s. 1d. ; employes Bryson and Jenkins, 9s. ; A. T. Walsh, 10s. ; J. Appleby and Son, 17th donation, 9s. 2d. ; employes Alderman W. Jones, £1 10s. Total, £1,953 12s.

Among the names of the various local volunteers appearing in the London Gazette, who have sailed for the front, and have been granted temporary commissions in the regular army, appears that of Captain A. Kyrke-Smith, who is gazetted as lieutenant.

Comforts for Local Volunteers.
Mrs. Kyrke-Smith writes : - May I ask you kindly to convey my thanks to the many friends who so promptly replied to my appeal for books and magazines for the Volunteer Company of the King's Liverpool Regiment. It will interest them to know that six cases, containing nearly three thousand magazines, etc., have been sent down to the transport Avondale Castle for the use of all the Volunteers on board. Four cases tobacco and comforts of every description were also sent for the special benefit of the Liverpool Company.

Waterloo & Crosby Herald, 3 March 1900

WORKING PARTY FOR SOLDIERS.
The "Holy Trinity Parish Magazine" states : - Real good work is going on, as the following notes will reveal. A large box was sent to Mrs. R. Chamberlain, No. 1 Wynberg Hospital, on February 3rd, containing 100 garments; again a second box, with a similar load, was sent away on February 23rd, to Civil Surgeon Pares, 5th General Hospital, Naauport, the nearest base hospital to the front. It will interest our readers to know that Surgeon Pares is Mrs. Wilson's brother, so we are certain to have some particulars as to this box and its contents. Over £30 has now been subscribed and spent, and Mrs. Wilson is most grateful to the many who have helped. If more money is forthcoming, the working party will continue until Easter. So good friends, once again, if you can manage it, please give yet another donation.

Waterloo & Crosby Herald, 3 March 1900

FOOTBALL AND THE WAR.
HUDSON'S V. THEATRICALS.
IN AID OF LOCAL RESERVIST FUND.

Last Saturday the above match arranged by the Hudson A.F.C. and Melrose Gardeners Football Club (in aid of the Bootle Reservists Fund) drew a fair gathering to Orrell Park, Linacre. Originally down for the 10th ulto. the fixture had to be abandoned owing to the snowstorm of that date. The Theatricals made a detour through the district headed by the Bootle Borough Band and Piper Parsons. Preliminaries over, Councillor Cromie gave the sphere the initial kick, and Mr. Referee Martin found his duties somewhat difficult, the tactics of the Theatricals being in many instances foreign to the laws laid down by the Football Association. When Hudson's appealed for a foul the appellant was the recipient of a dead crow. Full time however eventually arrived without any disastrous results, beyond the soapmen being defeated by two goals to nil. Among the many fancy costumes, the most conspicuous were Minnie Palmer, Coster, Eastern Chinese, Buffalo Bill, Robin Hood, and his forester Little John, Clown, Pierrot, Indian, and Brigand. The following comprised the committee who had the arrangements in hand, namely Messrs. Honeyball, president, Phenna and Newsome (Melrose Gardeners), Messrs. Black, Davies and Hankin (Hudson's). An invitation to the Kirkdale Industrial School brought about 100 boys, who thoroughly appreciated the fun. The silver medal presented by the committee for the best collection was won by Minnie Palmer (Capt. Newsome, "Gardeners"). As a result of the committee's efforts about £12 to £15, representing gross receipts, will be handed over to the Bootle Reservists' Fund.

A few more Reservists have gone to the front from our district this week, and the number of wives and families on the list has increased of those receiving donations from the funds subscribed to supply in part the wages earned while the men were here. The separation allowance by Government has been raised to 1s. 1d. per day for the wife and 2d, per day for each child. Several residents Volunteers have passed the doctor to go to the front with the contingents from the Liverpool regiments, now under training at Warrington and which will sail shortly. The War-office are making to the families of Volunteers the same allowance as to families of the regulars. Only a few of the Volunteers are married, but of course those relatives who are dependent on the single men will receive consideration from the grant in aid funds. Up to this time no soldier from these parts has been killed in action. Some have been wounded, and two or three have been in hospital suffering from pleurisy, &c. All these report that they are doing well, and hope shortly to be on duty again. It is very gratifying to learn from their letters that they receive constant attention from the doctors and nurses, and they feel bound to get fit again soon under such kind treatment.

Bootle Times, 10 March 1900

A Local Doctor for South Africa.
Dr. Arthur Clarence Turner, who was for some time locum tenens for Dr. Powell, of Bedford-road, Bootle, and late surgeon at the South Dispensary, Liverpool, has been appointed surgeon-captain to the 3rd Battalion East Kent Regiment for service in South Africa.

Local Policemen for the Front.
It will, no doubt, be remembered that a short time ago Constables Smy, Durnion, and Burns, of the Bootle Police Force, were called up for service, but as the accommodation was limited at the headquarters they returned to Bootle. On Thursday last they were called up for active service at the front.

INTERESTING BOOTLE RESERVIST'S LETTER.

ONE OF 24 WHO HELD BETHULIE.
The following interesting letter has been sent to us for publication : -
Springfontein, South Africa,
March 21st, 1900.
Dear Fred, - Just a few lines to let you know that I am in the land of the living. I suppose you have heard of the gallant Derbyshires at Bethulie holding the waggon bridge against a terrible rifle fire and three "Long Toms." It was something awful. You will see by the papers I was one of the twenty-four men that held it. We were in the trenches for two days and two nights. Lucky we only had four wounded. One was a lance-corporal, and he had his arm blown off ; he was next to me, and I thought my turn was next, but by God's will I was spared. I think that will be the last fight for us as they have all cleared away to their farms. They have chucked it up and they are all surrendering now, and are well beat. I was longing for a bayonet charge

From your affectionate brother, J. RYLATT, NO. 3392, Private B Company, 1st Derby Regiment, South African Field Force, Base Depot, East London, South Africa.

Bootle Times, 28 April 1900

More to be added when I next go to Crosby Library.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, David Grant

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds