Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Need a little help please 6 years 7 months ago #55525

• deacs
  • deacs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi folks I could do with a little help here please, I have found a family headstone to a Boer casualty who is remembered in Old Ettleton Churchyard, Roxburghshire, Scotland. I have searched Ancestry but I seem not able to find him so can someone please assist please.

Regards Mike.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Need a little help please 6 years 7 months ago #55526

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Mike
Firstly, the named casualty on the marker appears to be "OSWALD SMITH". I found the naming rather difficult to follow. Assuming "Oswald Smith" to be correct, I searched the Palmer roll to no result. Perhaps a little context to "Eland's River, South Africa, August 6th 1900" might help. That day was the second of the Siege of Elands River (manned by Bushmen and Rhodesians). The 6th August was also the day that BP attempted a relief of the Post; his force was comprised of Aust. Bushmen, Queensland MI, NZMR and 1st ILH. It also had artillery support. Certain events caused BP to assume (wrongly) that the Elands River post had either been relieved by Carrington - or else had fallen to the Boers - and he returned to Rustenburg; much to the chagrin of his men.
I have searched the SAFF casualties for those units on/about 6th August, 1900 for an "O.Smith" and no result. I have also checked the official return for Elands River Garrison casualties -
with a similar result.
Perhaps you might carry out more local research to see if Oswald Smith's unit can be discovered.
Good luck in your quest
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, deacs

Need a little help please 6 years 7 months ago #55527

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
It's possible that Oswald may have been his middle name and the one by which he was known to family and friends, but he appears in army records as, for example, 'John Oswald Smith.'
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, deacs

Need a little help please 6 years 7 months ago #55538

• deacs
I struggled to follow the naming of the headstone at first it was quite hard but I believe I have found the family links.

So I am guessing looking at the headstone that Oswald's mam and dad were Emla Gordon and Willim Smith,

So this is Emla's family.
Thomas Gordon father
Margaret Waugh mother
Margaret and Oswald sister and brother died in infancy
Emla Gordon daughter of above died aged 24 at Gateshead husband of William Smith who I think was Oswald's mam and dad.
Sister to Emla Mirian Jackson died 1941.

Mike.

Need a little help please 6 years 7 months ago #55668

• deacs
Contacted Newcastleton heritage center and unfortunately they can't help in finding who this was either.

Mike.

Need a little help please 6 years 6 months ago #55709

• JC
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
I believe the individual in question is probably Oswald Gordon. Wounded Elands River 4 Aug 1900 (some sources say 5 Aug). Died of wounds 7 Aug 1900.
126 Rhodesia Regt. (Mashonaland Squadron).
Palmer's casualty roll inexplicably has his initials as TC rather than O but the service number 126 matches with Oswald Gordon.

peterbaxterafrica.com/index.php/2012/08/...er-4-16-august-1900/

A photo of his grave in the Elands River Garden of Rest is shown in the above link (scroll down)

JC
The following user(s) said Thank You: deacs

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.589 seconds