Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Memorials to those of the Jewish faith 6 years 4 months ago #56297

• SWB
  • SWB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 448
Morning

Berenice recently got hold me as she had found a newspaper cutting regarding the creation of memorials to those of the Jewish faith.

Four were erected after the war in the UK, all in London:
Central Synagogue, Marylebone - 114 names
Synagogue, Hammersmith - Pte H Marks CIV
Portugese Synagogue, Maida Vale - Pte GE Halford CIV
Union Jack Club - library refurbishment
and a trophy for the National Rifle Association.

The Central Synagogue in Marylebone was destroyed in the Blitz, and presumably the memorial too. However the NIWM records a memorial in the Willesden synagogue which appears to be or a copy of the Marylebone memorial. Berenice is making enquiries about this and if the NRA trophy exists.

I added the 114 names to the database this weekend: 19 I cannot trace a date of death (new casualties?)

Another interesting point to note is that some anglicised their first names on joining the military:
Coleman Joel/Charles James Hyam Hayes - Imp Hospital Corps
Woolf/William Gabriel - ILH
Nathan/Norman Moss - Steinaecker's H

This is the main memorial from Marylebone (ref GIldea)

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Memorials to those of the Jewish faith 6 years 4 months ago #56300

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
What a superb and informative memorial that was. If the one at Willesden is a copy, perhaps it was taken from this photograph; I'm looking forward to a visit to London NW to find out! To be accurate, the current memorial is in the synagogue at Willesden Jewish Cemetery, in the foyer to the worship area. The cemetery is open 6 days a week and there's a visitor centre, but I'll have to check that there's access to the foyer. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willesden_Jewish_C..._graves_and_memorial

* Colonel A. E. W. Goldsmid saw service in the ABW and is interred at Willesden Jewish Cemetery. There's a pen-picture and a sketch of him at this link. newspapers.library.wales/view/3432012/3432018/107/

"Mr. Claude L. Marks, son of the Rev. Professor Marks, enjoys the distinction of being the only Jew who is an officer of a Highland regiment. Mr. Marks, who holds the commission of lieutenant, and will shortly be gazetted to a company, has seen active service in South Africa. He went through the Basuto War, and served in the Bechuanaland campaign. It is curious that while there are several Jewish officers in the line regiments, and in the Royal Artillery and the Royal Engineers, Mr. Claude Marks should alone represent the Jewish community in a Highland corps, viz., in the 3rd Battalion Highland Light Infantry."
newspapers.library.wales/view/3791556/3791563/127/

"Rabbi Hertz, of New York, who has been expelled from the South African Republic by the Boer authorities, and has returned here, says that though he once was a strong advocate of the Boer cause, he has now changed his opinion. "The Transvaal," he says, "is misgoverned on mediæval principles, and though it is true that there are 300 Jews fighting on the Boer side, there are 1,200 of my co-religionists in the British ranks." newspapers.library.wales/view/3360824/3360827/40/

Memorials to those of the Jewish faith 6 years 4 months ago #56523

• BereniceUK
The National Rifle Association trophy would seem to have remained just a proposal; the Deputy Curator of the NRA Museum has very kindly checked the NRA reports between 1902-1905 and can find no reference to such a trophy.

"It is possible that it was discussed in one of the Committees (but a lot of those early records were disposed of) and if it was, nothing seems to have come of the suggestion."

Memorials to those of the Jewish faith 6 years 2 months ago #57198

• BereniceUK
www.africanjewishcongress.com/ofsr_15Aug2012.htm

I've come across a book online, published in 2010, and seemingly out of print now - Boerejode: Jews in the Boer Armed Forces, 1899-1902, by David Saks.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Memorials to those of the Jewish faith 5 years 9 months ago #58988

• BereniceUK
David Saks has very kindly sent me some photos of two recent memorials in South Africa : -
"The first is in memory of Harry Spanier, the first Jewish Boer fatality of the war. It was unveiled on the hundredth anniversary of the battle of Surprise Hill, near Ladysmith, where Spanier was mortally wounded, on 11 December 2009. Rabbi Moshe Silberhaft is giving the address."

"The other is of the monument to all Jews who died while serving on the Boer side, taken at the official unveiling ceremony in 2012. It is located on the Platrand (aka Wagon Hill-Caesar’s Camp) battlefield also outside Ladysmith."

My thanks to Mr. Saks for the images.

Incidentally, I see that Harry Spanier was from Columbus, Ohio, a city I've visited. I'll contact friends I have there to see if any information on him can be found.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Rory

Memorials to those of the Jewish faith 5 years 6 months ago #60594

• BereniceUK
Here are two photos of the ABW memorial plaque in Kimberley Synagogue, also sent to me by David Saks. I did try to contact the Kimberley Congregation, asking if someone could help with clearer photos, but I guess my email must have gone into their junk folder. Do we have anyone living in the Kimberley area?

Mr Saks also sent the Roll of Honour of Jews who died serving in the Imperial forces during the Anglo-Boer War, images attached below. I've transcribed the names, and tried to add the dates of death, where I can.

LIST OF JEWS DIED ON SERVICE

1899-1900
F. Aaron, Private Imperial Yeomanry died Marandellas 10.10.1900
S. Abraham, Corporal East Kent Regiment killed Driefontein
W. Abrahams, Private New South Wales Mounted Infantry killed at Abraham's Kraal 10.3.1900
C. Abrams, Sergeant King's Royal Rifles killed Glencoe 20.10.1899 [S. Abrams?]
J. Bamberger, Private West Riding Regiment died Bloemfontein 14.5.1900
B. Bettelheim, Private East Kent Regiment killed Paaredeberg
G. Blumfield 12th Lancers killed Modder River
Benjamin Blumson, Able Seaman H.M.S. "Powerful" died Ladysmith 22.12.1899
S. Cappleman, Private King's Royal Rifles died Vryheid 31.5.1900
I. E. Cohen, Trooper Border Mounted Rifles died Ladysmith
John Barrow Cohen, Trooper Natal Carabineers killed Ladysmith 6.3.1900
Samuel Cohen, Private Cape Vol. Medical Staff Corps died Bloemfontein 3.5.1900
Barnett Davis, Private Natal Vol. Medical Staff Corps died Standerton [23.11.1900?]
M. B. Davis, Private Rhodesian Regiment killed Mafeking
S. E. Davis, Private Imperial Yeomanry died Marandellas 25.7.1900
A. Diamond, Private 14th Hussars died Ladysmith
H. Dreher, Private Royal Lancaster Regiment killed Spion Kop 24.1.1900
G. Eddlestone, Private King's Royal Rifles died Chieveley
Manuel Enoch, Private Connaught Rangers killed Tugela River 15.12.1899
A. Franks, Private King's Royal Rifles died Maritzburg 24.12.1899
J. Freedman, Private Rifle Brigade killed Bergendal
Leonard Golden, Trooper British South African Police killed Mafeking 18.5.1900
A. E. Goldschmidt, Private Prince Alfred's Volunteer Guard killed Kroonstad 14.5.1900
Mark Goldstein, Trooper Natal Carabineers killed Monte Christo 16.2.1900
H. J. Goodman, Sergeant Australian Horse killed Koeks River 21.7.1900
George Edward Halford, Private City Imperial Volunteers died Karee 15.5.1900
H. Hergold, Private West Riding Regiment killed Paaredeberg
G. Hirsch, Private Cape Pioneer Railway Regiment died Pretoria 18.5.1900
H. Hoffman, Private Norfolk Regiment died Karee 16.5.1900
Lancelot Isaacs, Private Welsh Regiment died Germiston 7.12.1900 [Isaac?]
Reuben Isaacs, Driver Army Service Corps died Maritzburg 24.3.1900
C. Isaacson, Private Royal Army Medical Corps died Bloemfontein 31.5.1900
Joseph Jacobs, Private Cape Vol. Medical Staff Corps accidentally killed Machadodorp 13.11.1900
Benjamin Lawson, Trooper Border Mounted Rifles killed Ladysmith 6.1.1900
A. Levitt, Private Middlesex Regiment killed Spion Kop 27.1.1900
Edward Levy, Private Prince Alfred's Volunteer Guard died Cradock 16.2.1900
Henry Julius Levy, Trooper British South African Police killed Mafeking 21.10.1899 [Rhodesia Regiment?]
Adolph Lewis, Trooper Kitchener's Horse killed Houtnek 30.4.1900
C. Lewis, Trooper South African Light Horse Tugela River 15.12.1899
S. Mack, Private Royal Scots Fusiliers died Maritzburg 19.12.1899
Harry Aaron Marks, Private City Imperial Volunteers died Bloemfontein 17.4.1900
Ben Mayer, Private Manchester Regiment killed Elandslaagte 21.10.1899
D. Moses, Private South Wales Borderers died Bloemfontein 24.5.1900
J. H. Moses, Labourer Army Ordnance Corps died Bloemfontein 25.5.1900
A. Oppenheim, Private New Zealand Mounted Infantry killed Reitfontein 29.11.1900
Frederick Melchior Raphael, Lieutenant South Lancashire Regiment killed Spion Kop 24.1.1900
James Soloman, Private Bethune's Mounted Infantry died Newcastle 9.6.1900
O. Strauss, Trooper Border Mounted Rifles died Ladysmith 16.12.1899
F. Wolfson, Corporal King's Royal Rifles killed Ladysmith 6.1.1900

SECOND YEAR OF THE WAR 1900-01
Henry Abrahams, Private 7th Dragoon Guards died of disease, Warringhams 30.8.1901
J. Adler, Private Royal Dublin Fusiliers died of disease, Charlestown 18.12.1900
A. Baker, Private Manchester Regiment died of disease, Bethlehem 3.2.1901
S. J. Barnard, Private Victorian Mounted Infantry killed in action, Wilmansrust 12.6.1901
Lewis Barnett, Private Western Province Mounted Rifles killed on patrol, Calvinia 10.6.1901
Benjamin Collins, Private Cheshire Regiment died of disease, Ventersdorp 27.5.1901
Louis Daniels, Private Imperial Yeomanry died of disease, Germiston 21.8.1901
Albert W. Davis, Private Queensland Bushmen died of disease, Standerton 2.6.1901
Isaac Drukker (J. Duper), Corporal Royal Warwickshire Regiment died of disease, Newcastle 25.12.1900
E. Dytch, Private South Staffordshire Regiment died of disease, Reitz 18.12.1900
Joseph Freedman, Private 14th Hussars died of disease, Germiston 15.4.1901
J. Freedman, Private King's Royal Rifle Corps killed in action, Roodepoort
Joseph Freeman, Private Shropshire Light Infantry died of wounds, Steynsburg
Abraham Charles Josua Garish, Private Piquetberg Town Guard killed on duty, Piquetberg 7.11.1901
I. Harlbuth, Private Imperial Yeomanry killed in action, Vlakfontein
Ellis Horwitz, Private Western Province Mounted Rifles died of disease, Glanwilliam 23.3.1901
C. Isaac, Gunner Royal Field Artillery died of disease, Standerton
Robert Henry Isaacs (Morris), Trooper Kitchener's Fighting Scouts killed in action, Cloosfiesdoorn
John Jacobs, Constable South African Constabulary died of disease, Bloemfontein 30.3.1901
John Jacobs, Sergeant 7th Dragoon Guards killed in action, Klipplaat 6.2.1901
F. Jacobson, Sergeant Army Ordnance Corps died of disease, Engocobe
Theodore Isaac Levin, Trooper Brabant's Horse died of wounds, Hanover
A. Levine, Private East Lancashire Regiment killed in action, Rensburg Drift 22.4.1901
R. Levinson, Private Duke of Edinburgh's V. Regiment died of disease, Porterville 26.1.1901
Abraham Levy, Constable South African Constabulary killed on duty, Mafeking District
S. Lewin, Private Leicester Regiment killed in action, Honing's Kloof 30.7.1901
E. Mendes, Corporal Cheshire Regiment died of disease, Burghersdorp 3.2.1901
Alfred Henry Marks (Marsh), Trooper Scottish Horse killed in action, Brakenlaagte 30.10.1901
A. L. Meyer, Private Oudtshoorn Volunteer Rifles killed in action, Kruis River 1.9.1901
J. R. Meyers Private Royal Army Medical Corps killed in action, Wynberg 14.12.1900
Nathan Moss, Trooper Steinacker's Horse died of disease, Lorenzo Marques 12.3.1901
Aaron Myers (Robert Harvey), Able Seaman H.M.S. "Terrible" died of disease, Haslar Hospital
J. Myers, Private West Yorkshire Regiment accidentally drowned, Warrenton 21.12.1900
J. Myers, Private West Yorkshire Regiment killed on patrol with Smith-Dorrien 6.2.1901
Frank Nathan, Private Imperial Yeomanry killed in action, Lichtenberg 12.3.1901
Jack Rabie, Private Western Province Mounted Rifles killed on patrol, Calvinia 10.6.1901
Harry Robinson, Private Colonial Defence Force killed in action, Cheviot Fells 3.1901[?]
G. Ramus, Private Rifle Brigade died of disease, Standerton 4.9.1901
H. Sagar, Private Army Ordnance Corps died of disease, Maritzburg 21.12.1900
F. Sampson, Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery died of disease, Lydenberg 1.2.1901
B. Simmons, Private Royal Lancaster Regiment died of disease, Dundee 26.10.1901
Harold Solomon, Constable South African Constabulary died of disease, Bloemfontein 25.3.1901
Herbert Solomon, Private West Australian Mounted Infantry killed in action 15.4.1901
Walter Solomon, Private Colonial Defence Force killed in action, Zuurberg 16.10.1901
Harry Weiler, Trooper Marshall's Horse killed in action, Ladysmith
Arthur Wolf, Private Colonial Defence Force killed in action, Cheviot Fells 15.3.1901
TOTAL (including first Memorial list, Chanuach, 5661): Killed in action, or died of wounds, 46; died of disease or accident, 49.

1901-2
Louis Alexander Imperial Military Railways accidentally shot, Viljoen's Drift 28.2.1902
E. H. Braun, Trooper Cape Police died of wounds, Windhoek 25.2.1902
Walter Chapman, Private Kitchener's Fighting Scouts killed in action, Zoutpansdrift 30.12.1901
Arthur Charet, Private Kitchener's Fighting Scouts killed in action, Zoutpansdrift 30.12.1901
Joseph Coleman, Private 5th Rifle Brigade (Militia) died of disease, Zoutpansdrift 23.5.1902
H. D. Elkin, Lance Corporal Royal Irish Fusiliers died of disease, Standerton
Woolf Gabriel, Trooper Imperial Light Horse died of wounds, Newmarket Farm 5.2.1902
Samuel Goldman, Private Canadian Scouts died of disease, Elandsfontein 27.2.1902
David Goldstone, Private Western Province Mounted Rifles accidentally drowned, Wittedrift 10.2.1902
Eugene Gros, Q.M. Sergeant Colonial Light Horse died of disease, Ceres 26.3.1902
Benjamin Harris, Private Army Service Corps died of disease, Rietfontein West 1.1.1902
Edward Hart, Private 18th Hussars died of disease, Standerton 23.2.1902
Coleman Joel Hayes, Orderly Imperial Hospital Corps died of disease, Harrismith 15.3.1902
J. Hesse, Private Imperial Yeomanry killed in action, Tweefontein 25.12.1901
B. Hyams, Sapper Royal Engineers died of disease, Pretoria 3.2.1902
Ingram (Isaacs) father and son, Troopers, Colonial Horse killed in action
S. E. Levy, Corporal Army Service Corps missing, found dead 8.6.1901[?]
Israel Lewin, Orderly Imperial Hospital Corps died of disease, Newcastle 5.2.1902
Samuel Lyons, Private 16th Lancers killed in action, Calvinia Road 22.12.1901
E. Mayers, Private Royal Lancaster Regiment died of disease, Pretoria 29.1.1902
B. T. Meyer, Private Imperial Yeomanry killed in action, Tweefontein 25.12.1900
E. Meyers, Private 7th Hussars died of disease, Heidelberg, T.V.L. 23.7.1902
J. Moeller, Private New Zealand Rough Riders killed in action 3.7.1900
A. Morris, Private Johannesburg Mounted Rifles died of disease 7.3.1902
C. Moses, Private 3rd Wiltshire (Militia) Mounted Infantry died of disease, Kroonstad 7.12.1901
A. Salmon, Conductor attached Army Service Corps killed in action, Klipdrift
A. Strauss, Driver Royal Field Artillery killed in action
Isaac Tanvitch attached Army Service Corps died of disease, Kroonstad 7.5.1902
Joseph Tobias, Corporal Essex Regiment killed in action, Tweekopjes 9.3.1902
Victor Woolf Imperial Military Railways died of disease 19.12.1901
Lewis Yates, Trooper South African Constabulary died of disease, Pretoria 2.2.1902
TOTAL (including two previous Memorial lists): Killed in action or died of wounds, 60; died of disease or accident, 67.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, azyeoman

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.820 seconds