Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3148 Sergeant James Schofield, 12th Lancers - died of wounds 5.5.1900 6 years 1 week ago #57961

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
The plaque is in Tunley United Reformed Church, Mossy Lea, Lancashire, a few miles north-west of Wigan. The church was Presbyterian in 1900.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3148 Sergeant James Schofield, 12th Lancers - died of wounds 5.5.1900 6 years 1 week ago #57962

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
The Palmer roll shows "Schofield, 3148, Sgt., Died of Wounds, Vlakfontein, 5/5/00, 12 Lncrs" . My handy little Cavalry CD just shows his initial as "J", his medal clasps were Cape Colony and Orange Free State and that he was a reservist.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

3148 Sergeant James Schofield, 12th Lancers - died of wounds 5.5.1900 6 years 1 week ago #57963

• BereniceUK
Thanks, IL.

A Chorley church has a similar memorial to a 12th Lancer - www.angloboerwar.com/forum/17-memorials-...markland-xii-lancers

Did each 12th Lancers' ABW fatality have a memorial plaque erected in the UK? That's an individual plaque for each man.

Incidentally, the manufacturer of the plaque (bottom right) was Jones & Willis Ltd., manufacturers of ecclesial furniture, including memorial tablets. archive.org/stream/ABookOfDesignsOfEccle...847#page/n0/mode/2up

3148 Sergeant James Schofield, 12th Lancers - died of wounds 5.5.1900 6 years 1 week ago #57965

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
I did some looking through my sources for 3378 Sgt. F.Markland of 12L and found three entries for him. A very busy and clearly dangerous active service career - and very tasteful memorials. The unit had five officers Killed/died from disease and fifty-eight ORs similarly. Quite a lot of plaques if one per man. You would be able to research that better than I!
Regards
IL.

3148 Sergeant James Schofield, 12th Lancers - died of wounds 5.5.1900 6 years 1 week ago #57969

• BereniceUK
If each man received a plaque to his memory, then there should be one to Xavier Leonard, who died at De Aar, on 11.2.1900. He was from Middlesbrough, his father, also Xavier Leonard, living there at 43, Gladstone Street. So, theoretically, there would be a memorial plaque for Xavier Leonard somewhere in Middlesbrough.

I can't find anything online about an individual plaque for him, but he's named on the Middlesbrough ABW memorial. So perhaps the 12th Lancers' individual plaques were for men who wouldn't have been remembered otherwise.

In my earlier reply, I wrote "A Chorley church....." It should read "A Leyland church....."

3148 Sergeant James Schofield, 12th Lancers - died of wounds 5.5.1900 6 years 1 week ago #57975

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
His name also appears on the British Memorial, President Brand Cemetery Bloemfontein S.A.

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.765 seconds