Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Colonel Charles Arthur Swan, 3rd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment 5 years 6 months ago #60410

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
This memorial, a fairly recent addition, given by the family, hangs in Sausthorpe Village Hall, Lincolnshire. The land for the hall was given to the parish by Colonel Swan, of Sausthorpe Hall.

www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/27448/...lement/4195/data.pdf

He's interred in St. Andrew's churchyard, Sausthorpe. As his wife's name appears on the cross below, I assume that this is also his resting place. There's a later, added inscription at the base of the cross, which I couldn't read, due to the accumulated earth, and it was pouring with rain at the time.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Elmarie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Colonel Charles Arthur Swan, 3rd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment 5 years 6 months ago #60411

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Berenice
In "War Services of Officers or the Army, etc", he is shown with - (m) Swan, C.A., (Hon. Col., Lt. Col. 3Bn, Linc. R) - S.African war, 1902. In Command of 3Bn., Linc. R (11 April to 31 May 02) Operations in Cape Colony, April to 31May 02. Queen's Medal with two clasps.
Regards
IL.

Colonel Charles Arthur Swan, 3rd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment 5 years 6 months ago #60412

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Those final few weeks prior to Vereeniging proved to be very brutal indeed, whilst the final act was being played out, I would imagine he subsequently felt himself and his men to have been most fortunate.

Colonel Charles Arthur Swan, 3rd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment 5 years 6 months ago #60415

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Excellent research. Many thanks, Berenice.

PS your work received great appreciation from the Staff at the Anglo Boer War Museum in Bloemfontein last week.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Colonel Charles Arthur Swan, 3rd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment 5 years 6 months ago #60417

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Showing my ignorance here, but if Colonel Swan served with his battalion in South Africa in early 1902, why wasn't he awarded a King's Medal?

David, I actually visited the village hall to photograph a WW1 roll of honour which is there, and I knew nothing about Colonel Swan and his involvement with the building. A piece of luck. I wonder if the family has his medals; I hope so.

Colonel Charles Arthur Swan, 3rd Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment 5 years 6 months ago #60421

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Berenice,

Lucky indeed :)

To earn the KSA, the person had to be serving in 1902 and have completed 18 months of service by or before 1 June 1902. With less that the 18 months of service, the recipient would have the clasps SA01 or SA02 added to their QSA.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.434 seconds