Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lost memorials 5 years 3 months ago #61812

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2304
A thread for memorials that have been lost/destroyed, that were proposed, but never made, and for missing memorials.

Nelson and Barrowford, Lancashire

The Nelson and Barrowford War Committee have decided upon erecting a suitable memorial in Victoria Park, Nelson, commemorative of the local regulars, volunteers, and ambulance men who fell in the South African campaign.
Manchester Courier, Monday 5th October 1903

THE WAR MEMORIAL .— Owing to the prevailing depression in the staple industry, it has been decided to postpone the appeal for funds in connection with the proposed memorial to local soldiers and ambulance men who fell in the late war.
Burnley Express, Saturday 24th October 1903

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lost memorials 5 years 3 months ago #61813

• BereniceUK
In St Mark the Evangelist's Church, Blackburn, are a stained glass window and marble plaque to the memory of Major C. W. M. Fielden. The church was founded by the Fielden family, but has closed and was up for sale this year, although I can't find it on the market now. The plaque can be moved, but will the window become lost to public view?

www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/16307...for-sale-for-125000/

www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54853

www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42294

Edit 22.3.2019 - the sale of the building is proceeding, with a view to conversion to residential use. However, I've been able to make arrangements to visit in early April to photograph the window, and hopefully the other war memorials there.

Edit - the window and plaque have now been photographed.

Lost memorials 5 years 3 months ago #61814

• BereniceUK
St Matthew's Church, in Hull, has closed and been sold. I tried earlier this year to get access, but the key had already been handed over to the new owners, and, although I was given the phone number of the new key holder, he was always unavailable to answer. The interior will be converted into social housing. I was given to understand that the war memorial plaques would be kept, but moved around. These include an ABW plaque to Private J. Sewards. Hopefully there'll eventually be access to this one, or maybe the plaque will end up elsewhere.

www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/35325

giroscope.org.uk/an-exciting-new-project/

Edit - the plaque has been photographed.

Lost memorials 5 years 3 months ago #61816

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice
It appears that the ABW plaque commemorating Pte. J.Sewards refers to "3774 Pte. J.F. Seward of 14thH", Died of Disease in Natal, 19/4/00. Info from the Palmer roll.
One of the links with your Major C.W.M. Fielden post (#61813) shows him as Mortally Wounded, Langzeekogat, 19/2/02. IWM reference WMR - 42294.
The Palmer roll shows Major C.W.M. Feilden (note spelling) as died at Klippan of wounds received the previous day. He had a distinguished career pre war and during the South African campaign was at the Relief of Kimberley and the advance to Pretoria. He was MiD'd 17/9/01 and created a Companion of the Distinguished Order.
It would be a shame if the memorials to these two soldiers became lost or were not on public view somewhere.
Regards
IL.

Lost memorials 5 years 3 months ago #61818

• Jim_Giroscope
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, my name is Jim and I joined today having seen a link-in on Giroscope's website stats from this site - I work for Giroscope. Please contact me on [email protected] and I am sure we can arrange access for you to the building to view the memorial. As an aside we are restoring the WW1 memorial window with the help of a grant from the War Memorials Trust.
It is our intention to preserve the integrity of this building as we seek to return it to community use. It will not be turned into social housing, but will in due course again serve as a community space in an area lacking in such facilities. I hope this helps and please do contact me!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

Lost memorials 5 years 3 months ago #61820

• BereniceUK
A roll of honour for the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Durham Light Infantry, which was placed in the Drill Hall, Garrison Field, Sunderland. The Imperial War Museum's database of war memorials doesn't have this listed. Does anyone know if it still exists?
The neighbouring parade ground is now mostly a car park; the Drill Hall was still in use during WW2.

"The tablet to be erected in the Drill Hall, Garrison Field, to commemorate the fact that 85 men of the 3rd Vol. Bat. of the D.L.I. served in the South African war has just been completed. It is made of brass, is about 30in. by 30in., and has a deep mahogany frame. The engraving and lettering on the tablet are done in red and black colours, and the inscription is as follows: - "3rd Volunteer Battalion Durham Light Infantry. This tablet was erected by the battalion to commemorate the services of the following members in the South African war, 1899-1902." Then follows a list of the officers and men to the number of 85. Only one member of the company who went out to the war did not return, Bugler Alex. Orr, who died of enteric fever, and his name is enclosed with a black margin. Around the inscription is a fancy border, and the work, which has been done by Mr. R. Youll, 28, Northumberland Street, Sunderland, is a very handsome specimen of the engraver's art. A date for the unveiling ceremony has not yet been fixed.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Wednesday 21st January 1903

Colonel A. L. Woodland, C.B., commanding 5th and 68th Regimental Districts, will unveil, on Thursday, Dec. 17th, 1903, the "Memorial Tablet" in the Drill Hall to the memory of the officers, N.C.O.'s, and men who took part in the South African War, which will be followed by a smoking concert and presentation of drill, musketry, and recruiting prizes.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Saturday 12th December 1903

An interesting gathering in connection with the 3rd V.B.D.L.I., better known as the Sunderland Rifles, took place in the Drill Hall, Garrison Field, last night. A memorial tablet to those who served in the war, placed in a conspicuous place on the east wall of the hall, was unveiled, and the drill, musketry, and recruiting prizes were presented. The interior of the hall had been decorated with a variety of flags and presented a gay and festive appearance...…..The Colonel then removed the Union Jack which had covered the tablet. The latter is of brass, mounted upon oak, and bears the names of 92 non-commissioned officers and men who went out to South Africa from 1899 to 1902, and who all returned scatheless, with the single exception of Bugler Orr, who was killed.

Sunderland Daily Echo, Saturday 18th December 1903

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds